Right. My requested review is done, and here it is:
First - this is a very good game. The graphics are well-done, although the use of jumping makes this a 2.5D game, thus not completely following the handicap. The music is awesome, too.
One of the things I really like with this game is the level of freedom you have. You can run around on your ship, or the enemy's, without being forced to do anything special. Yet, it's not a massive world where you don't have a clue of where to go.
I believe you should continue on this game, because it's good and has room for improvement. These are the things I feel you should consider to modify to improve Gold Wars:
- This game needs a better tutorial. It's not enough with just telling the controls, it took a while until I figured everything out. Put some work into making a proper, interactive tutorial stage.
- Expand it. It's simply too short, and not enough you can do. Make more levels.
- Pirates don't only protect their own gold. They steal others. Yarrr, put gold on the enemy ship to steal!
- You could also allow to find other useful items on the enemy ship: health packs, weapons, etc.
- Seriously, that intro is dull and ugly. That gives a bad first impression.
- Maybe a little more action? Basically all you do now is putting stuff in cannons. Make enemies board the ship occasionally (not only in the beginning).
- You can consider improving the fighting system a little, allowing you to parry enemies attacks, etc.
- Pause button.
- Don't make the game quit immediately just because you press the Esc key. I hate that, and it's unprofessional.
- There's a bug allowing you to walk through the north walls on the cabins.
Final note: This game is already a good jam game, and has potential to become a good indie game.