17 replies to this topic

#1 MudGrunt

MudGrunt

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

I have made a petition for yoyo games to make a gm:studio RPI export, please please please sign it!

https://www.change.o...berry-pi-export

#2 David Batty

David Batty

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 189 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

Can't you just use the Ubuntu export and run the output on the Raspberry Pi?

#3 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

Can't you just use the Ubuntu export and run the output on the Raspberry Pi?

No, you can't. The problem isn't the operating system, because by jumping through a few hoops you can often make software that is compatible with one distro, run on another.

The problem is that GameMaker compiles to the 'wrong' processor architecture. You can run an export fine on an Intel or AMD processor, which is basically whatever goes into traditional desktop and laptop PCs. The Raspberry Pi, however, has an ARM processor that is used in mobile phones and embedded systems because of its power-efficiency. It's a different architecture and software compiled for Intel / AMD processors can't run because they miss ARM-specific CPU instructions. GameMaker does compile to ARM processors, but only for Android.

So you could ask YYG for ARM-architecture exports for Linux, but if you're aiming for Raspberry Pi you had better not expect wonders. It's not a fast machine so it is bound to under-perform, even when the Pi is overclocked. Still, I'd appreciate the experiment as I have one myself.

Failing an ARM export for Linux, the alternatives are:

• Using an Android distro for Raspberry Pi and run the Android export from GM on it.
  • Try your luck with Multiarch, a tool to emulate processors of different architectures so that you can run software coming from another architecture.

I have tried neither, so I can't comment how they work, if at all. My best bet would be the Android distro because Multiarch is more difficult to set up and does not (yet) have a good success rate.

Edited by Smarty, 21 May 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#4 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

I am working on a PI exporter in my spare time - which is zero just now. But I made good progress with it last time... it's almost there in fact!

https://twitter.com/...7776512/photo/1

The 1080p output kills performance though...which sucks. Need to work on that. The linux module came about because I wanted a PI one, but i had to get it onto linux first. Now that's done, I just need from free time to make the PI export, but as it's a hobby project, it takes a back seat to everything else.

But we love the PI here... and want to support it for free, but because of that, there can be no money spent on it....so its a hobby export. It'll come.... it'll just take time.

#5 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

I am working on a PI exporter in my spare time - which is zero just now. But I made good progress with it last time... it's almost there in fact!

https://twitter.com/...7776512/photo/1

The 1080p output kills performance though...which sucks. Need to work on that. The linux module came about because I wanted a PI one, but i had to get it onto linux first. Now that's done, I just need from free time to make the PI export, but as it's a hobby project, it takes a back seat to everything else.

But we love the PI here... and want to support it for free, but because of that, there can be no money spent on it....so its a hobby export. It'll come.... it'll just take time.

AWESOME. Who knew we'd have the Linux export because of it.

With regard to to 1080p output, it's a pretty hefty resolution for a GM game anyway. Would scaling be an option? Do you actually have hardware acceleration in place already, because that still seems to be an issue with the Pi. Also, do you plan to support the RCA output (in so far your engine build actually needs to do anything about it)?

I'm very interested in fiddling with the Pi myself mostly because it is a great device to use in an embedded (game) system. They're obviously going to be a tad lower-spec games, but there are so many cool things you could do with it.

I realize you have your own Pi but if you're ever interested in having someone else run a test, I'm game. I own the B model, currently with Raspbian installed.

#6 farfromsleep

farfromsleep

space cat wannabe

• GMC Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

Really looking forward to this. I'm not expecting miracles with performance, but I imagine it could be viable for creating some kinds of puzzle games, visual novels or strategy games that aren't reliant on quick framerates. I have a few ideas for things that could work quite well with very little in the way of motion or fancy effects. The Pi is certainly a little barren as far as decent native games go, so GM support would be a huge plus for me.

2vl6s1j.png2dgm71i.png en_generic_rgb_wo_60.png

#7 thegreatgaveno@mac.com

thegreatgaveno@mac.com

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:21 PM

Is there somewhere we can donate to the development of the raspi export? I have been dying for a good way to use my pi.

Also, will it support the io pins?

Edited by thegreatgaveno@mac.com, 19 March 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#8 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

Sorry no, its a hobby project - but I've still no time right now.

I should be able to support the IO pins via extensions easily enough..

#9 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:39 PM

It's nice that this one is planned to be free. That's very generous. :)
Spoiler

#10 2DGroove

2DGroove

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

Thats great! I cant wait for this export to come.

Terrablox%20advertisement.png

#11 ChrisMiske

ChrisMiske

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:09 PM

Been developing a game with some teammates for the last year and am looking to use a Raspberry Pi to make the game a dedicated cabinet version that boots directly to the game without going through the GUI first. I see Michael is working on an exporter for the Pi in his spare time but in the mean time has there been headway into getting games onto Pi successfully yet?

I have built a cabinet that has a PC in it right now but want to convert it to a total dedicated cabinet for final presentation.

Trying to do this without having to program the entire game in another language from scratch to make it work. (I personally am still learning how to use game maker and my teammates are not strong coders but are much better than I am) 

#12 bryngylf

bryngylf

Game Design Probie

• GMC Member
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:25 AM

Sorry no, its a hobby project - but I've still no time right now.

I should be able to support the IO pins via extensions easily enough..

Hi Mike, this sounds very cool! Any updates on the RaspExport?

d9hbhv2.png  indiedb.png  black-facebook-48.png     av5khGi.png    riBNPaX.png

#13 FiestaCyborg

FiestaCyborg

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:39 PM

Bump - I'm also curious if the Pi export is still being considered.  It would be fun to make a dedicated arcade cabinet for one of my games and a Raspberry Pi would definitely be the most cost-effective way to do that.

#14 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:10 PM

Its still on the cards.... but still unofficial, and still when I get some free time.

#15 ChrisMiske

ChrisMiske

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:14 PM

Hey Mike. With the announcement of Windows 10 Embedded being able to run on the Raspberry Pi 2 would there be any consideration to Game Maker Studio exporting to that platform instead of building a raspberry Pi exporter?

#16 TeeJay SD

TeeJay SD

GMC Member

• 2 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:52 PM

I am interested too in GameMaker being able to run on Raspberry Pi 2.  Either as an Ubuntu app, or a Windows 10 Universal App.   The Windows 10 IoT version sounds interesting, because you could use a standard USB Controller for movement.

Also, MDF, is it possible to get around the 1080p performance, but stating it only support 720p (and have the TV manually set to 720?).

#17 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:16 PM

Yes, we hope to let you export to the Pi via the windows 10 embedded thing.

Using the application surface it should be possible to have a 1080p display, but a lower res room size and get it going at full speed I'd think...... But until we get stuff going on it, we'll not know for sure.

#18 TeeJay SD

TeeJay SD

GMC Member

• 2 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 16 June 2015 - 05:28 PM

Take a look this post showing that you can configure the Raspberry Pi 2 to output at other resolutions than 1080p...

https://www.hackster...?ref=emailnotif

Add the following lines at the bottom of the contents, these instructions configure the HDMI output of the Pi, so it's compatible with the Adafruit display (e.g. by setting the resolution to 800 by 480). You can copy/past the text at the bottom of this project page!)

In the config.txt you might be able to set it to something like 720p

hdmi_group=2

hdmi_mode=1

hdmi_mode=87

hdmi_cvt 800 480 60 6 0 0 0

But those are the settings for the LCD display... Just cross posting in hopes it helps.  Direct Message me if you want testers. :)