Editable version: GM 8.1 only
Included EXE for demonstration purposes.
Link (GM website): http://sandbox.yoyog...lateform-engine
This engine will show you how to create a platform game using tiles instead of objects. You will also be able to control what can be seen and not easily as you can see in the images below. This engine includes solid land, jump through land, death traps and decoration (foreground and background). NOTE: Precise collision checking with tiles is not possible yet so certain land strips (like mushroom) borders will let Mario stand in mid air. If you find a solution for that, do not hesitate to post it here or let me know. Tiles are squares for now so, you need to live with that .
- You do not need to place invisible ground objects over tiles. In other words, this engine cuts your work in half.
- No need for extra objects for markers or death traps, interact directly with tiles.
- I've seperated important actions in scripts for easier management and integration.
- Faster than collision checking with objects.
- No precise collision checking.
1 - All tiles visible and 3 objects (Mario, Goomba and Mushroom)
2 - Solid land tiles have been hidden using only one line of code that is built-in the GML language.
3 - All tiles are hidden. Al that is left are visible objects.