Playstation's Usb Port

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
105 replies to this topic

#1 Timmins

Timmins

Go away.

• 475 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 01:25 PM

I was examining the USB Ports on my Playstation 2 the other day, and I was wondering what they're for. I have two guesses. One is that it is used to connect a MiniDisc or Mp3 Jukebox to the TV, and to play the songs through the TV. I think it is most probably for the online play. Anyway, my real question is - Can GM-Made programs or games work through this? If so, videos could be played easily through the TV, along with Copied DVDs (They don't work well on PS2), and Mp3s and stuff.

Your thoughts are welcome,

Timmins

#2 UndergroundMark

UndergroundMark

GMC Member

• 219 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 01:32 PM

there only for Playstation2 compatible periferals such as the eye toy. And gamemaker would have to get licenses and stufffrom sony to do it.

#3 Bami

Bami

StupideGames

• 389 posts
  • Version:GM5

Posted 15 December 2004 - 01:45 PM

the problems with these USB ports is: they are not recognised by the system, when starting the ps2 up, only the games themselves have the driver programs.

i got windows XP running on my ps2 (yes it has a network adapter and a 30 gig harddisk), and there the USB ports work just fine (hell i can even run gamemaker games on there, although very slow, its a 300 mhz processor

and the main use for the USB ports is to
1. attach the headset to (socom2 etc)
2. eyetoy

but without modifications to the ps2, the usb port is useless, with or without gamemaker games, so this topic has no further use

Edited by stupidegames, 18 December 2004 - 07:28 PM.

#4 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3076 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 15 December 2004 - 01:47 PM

Yeah things like the Eyetoy (which actually works as a regular webcam if you plug it into yer PC as Mr. Hyun showed me once), some lightguns use it rather than take up yer joypad slots and the sampling device for Music 3000 uses it. I'm not quite sure what it is you want to do though? You want to run PC stuff on yer TV through the PS2? Like if you actually connected yer PC to the TV directly?

#5 Trickstar Entertainment

Trickstar Entertainment

GMC Member

• 160 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 09:49 PM

my minidisc player can handle any Computer software. maybe my GM games will work

I'll edit after I try

edit:**** noting happend

Edited by Trickstar Entertainment, 15 December 2004 - 09:53 PM.

#6 Timmins

Timmins

Go away.

• 475 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 10:06 PM

there only for Playstation2 compatible periferals such as the eye toy. And gamemaker would have to get licenses and stufffrom sony to do it.

Ah, ok.

the problems with these USB ports is: they are not recognised by the system, when starting the ps2 up, only the games themselves have the driver programs.

Yes, I never thought of that. I believe PS2 doesn't even have an OS.

i got windows XP running on my ps2 (yes it has a network adapter and a 30 gig harddisk), and there the USB ports work just fine (hell i can even run gamemaker games on there, although very slow, its a 500 mhz processor

That sounds sweet!!

but without modifications to the ps2, the usb port is useless, with or without gamemaker games, so this topic has no further use

Couldn't someone write some sort of PS" compatible program which recognises executables?

Yeah things like the Eyetoy (which actually works as a regular webcam if you plug it into yer PC as Mr. Hyun showed me once), some lightguns use it rather than take up yer joypad slots and the sampling device for Music 3000 uses it. I'm not quite sure what it is you want to do though? You want to run PC stuff on yer TV through the PS2? Like if you actually connected yer PC to the TV directly?

Well, I wanted to create interactive video players and stuff like that.

my minidisc player can handle any Computer software. maybe my GM games will work

I'll edit after I try

What do you mean it can handle any computer software? I have a Sony NetMD MZN510, and nothing happened when I connected it.

All comments are still welcome,

Timmins

#7 aaron7114

aaron7114

GMC Member

• 445 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 01:34 AM

The USB port for the PS2 is mostly for Keyboards, Mouse, Headset, Eyetoy, USB Zip Drive. However, I do have this device for my PS2 which is called "X-Port", you can back up your game saves from your PS2, to your computer hard drive, and then send them back to the PS2. This all works with a usb cable that connects the PS2 to the computer. I have a 160 GB hard drive inside my Playstation 2, that I use to save all of my games to, so I can play them without the CD.

So it may be possible, but may require some very good coding, and maybe a few dlls.

#8 Xception

Xception

GMC Member

• 476 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 01:38 AM

The usb device is good for extending the PS2 with new hardware like the eye-toy cam or the singstar microphones and whatever, not more and not less.
It won'T make the chance any better to play GM games with the PS2.

#9 ps2god

ps2god

The Great Cornhole

• 530 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 01:53 AM

:D It would take alot of programming for a gamemaker game to work on the ps2. You would have to figure out what the controller is told to do to work with the game. It would be a very complicated process I think. (It would go though the USB cord but nothing would happen)

Edited by ps2god, 16 December 2004 - 01:53 AM.

#10 Alex

Alex

3lite Member

• 3098 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 01:59 AM

i think it would b a good idea if gm could make exe's for PS2, then you could put the game on a usb flashdrive and plug 'n' play :D

#11 fresh prince

fresh prince

The Fresh Prince

• 442 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:11 AM

i think it would b a good idea if gm could make exe's for PS2, then you could put the game on a usb flashdrive and plug 'n' play

Well it's never gonna happen since Gm exe's require DirectX which PS2 doess't have.

-FP

Edited by fresh prince, 16 December 2004 - 02:12 AM.

#12 aaron7114

aaron7114

GMC Member

• 445 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:17 AM

i think it would b a good idea if gm could make exe's for PS2, then you could put the game on a usb flashdrive and plug 'n' play

Well it's never gonna happen since Gm exe's require DirectX which PS2 doess't have.

-FP

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep. However if this G-Java is for real, then you will supposly be able to play GM games on the PS2. We will just have to wait and see.

#13 Yourself

Yourself

The Ultimate Pronoun

• GMC Elder
  • 7352 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:26 AM

Since the PS2 runs Java?

#14 aaron7114

aaron7114

GMC Member

• 445 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:30 AM

Since the PS2 runs Java?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D thats what I thought too, since PS2 doesn't use Java. But on the G-Java website it just said you can even play your games on your PS2! I have no idea. No one will know until it is released.

Edited by aaron7114, 16 December 2004 - 02:31 AM.

#15 fresh prince

fresh prince

The Fresh Prince

• 442 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:33 AM

-FP

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep. However if this G-Java is for real, then you will supposly be able to play GM games on the PS2. We will just have to wait and see.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

but to play them on a ps2 you would have to have a hard drive for the Ps2(about $40.00 at a store) and Ps2 linux or do what stupidegames did and get Xp on the Ps2 some how.
But you can play GM games(converted with G-Java or not) on a Ps2 with out alot of tweaking

-FP

#16 aaron7114

aaron7114

GMC Member

• 445 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:36 AM

-FP

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

but to play them on a ps2 you would have to have a hard drive for the Ps2(about $40.00 at a store) and Ps2 linux or do what stupidegames did and get Xp on the Ps2 some how.
But you can play GM games(converted with G-Java or not) on a Ps2 with out alot of tweaking

-FP

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a regular 160 GB computer hard drive in my PS2. It only cost me $95.

#17 ps2god

ps2god

The Great Cornhole

• 530 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:36 AM

That would be so cool if it worked. B)

#18 fresh prince

fresh prince

The Fresh Prince

• 442 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 03:51 AM

I have a regular 160 GB computer hard drive in my PS2. It only cost me $95.

I wasn't taking about Pc hard drives I was talking about the ones that sony sells for Ps2(and besides a hard drive you need a network adapter). I forgot to menton in my last post that You'd never be able to play GM games(converted with G-Java or not) on one of the newer Ps2's since they don't support hard drives.

Also stupidegames since you have (well at least claim to) windows XP on your Ps2 does it (meaning windows) run slow? I was wondering because Windows XP requires 128MB of RAM (it's either 128MB or 256MB) when PS2 only has 32MB of RAM.

-FP

#19 Tyrant

Tyrant

Tyrant, King of Hell

• 249 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:12 AM

The PS2 does have an OS. It's basicly just an emulator which sends the screen signals. You can overwrite that OS and make it Windows or Linux though it'll be crap. As it is said, it's a 500mhz machine. It isn't anything more complex than an PIC.

#20 Alex

Alex

3lite Member

• 3098 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:46 AM

wouldnt G-Java only make Java games compatible?

#21 Jodder

Jodder

Da Prof

• GMC Elder
  • 1410 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 08:16 AM

i got windows XP running on my ps2 (yes it has a network adapter and a 30 gig harddisk), and there the USB ports work just fine (hell i can even run gamemaker games on there, although very slow, its a 500 mhz processor

I would love to see some evidence of this.

I would like to see evidence of a GM game played on a PS2, as well.

But on the G-Java website it just said you can even play your games on your PS2! I have no idea. No one will know until it is released.

It's easy to create a website that makes all kinds of great claims. I could put up a website claiming that I will create a unit that will run a car from a flashlight battery.

#22 Bami

Bami

StupideGames

• 389 posts
  • Version:GM5

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:39 PM

ive taken a photo with the worlds crappiest digital camera, and its 3:30 PM here and its kinda dark.

odd thing is that you cant edit this picture...

on the right is the ps2 with a USB mouse attached in the usb port, on the image itself is my desktop, filled with stuff

these 2/3 dots under the screen are the connectors

i hope you can see this as evidence

and its slow, VERY slow, the computer sees a 300 mhz "unknown" processor with 32/64 (it cant decide) mb RAM and a 4 gig swapfile, and windows takes about 20- 30 minutes to load, and i have a LOT of crashes, i just have it for fun in there, to amaze my friends :D i would never recommend it anyone, because its simply crap.

and every harddisk can be installed in a ps2, it just has to be formatted in the right disk format, and i got this XP off kazaa, because its specially ported for the ps2, you cant simply install it from cd-rom

and i think the ps2 doesnt support Java

#23 Timmins

Timmins

Go away.

• 475 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:58 PM

I have heard stories that its possible to get a Playstation 2 compatible version of Linux. If you have Linux, you could have a Windows Emulator. A Windows Emulator could run GameMaker games, I think, if it had some sort of DirectX support.

Timmins

#24 ps2god

ps2god

The Great Cornhole

• 530 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 03:41 PM

Wouldn't G-Java only support Java games?

#25 TGMG

TGMG

G-java creator

• 706 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 16 December 2004 - 04:50 PM

I have not yet played a gm game on a ps2 but I know it works. I will get my PS2 linux kit soon and will test it out. Yes PS2 does support java in the form of kaffe a JVM. I know that people don't have the money and reasorced to get there own PS" linux kit so I might run a service to compile it for them. There is also another way. Make your game for a MegaDrive emulator and run it using Action reply Max (it has a Megadrive emulator). The only other platform gm games I have seen using g-java are on my mobile phone and a friends MAC but I plan to fo much further :D. there is currently a .gm6 demo of g-java that opens the .gm6 file and displays the content. The 2nd demo I will put in some java code for everyone to see :( expect the 2nd demo either today or tommorow depends on how much work i get done :(. Anyway you can't blame me for promoting vaporware here becasue first of all there is a sort of demo and i didn't start the disscussion on g-java. if there are any questions feel free to ask ;):)

#26 ps2god

ps2god

The Great Cornhole

• 530 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:57 PM

You got GM games on your mobile phone!? :D

#27 fresh prince

fresh prince

The Fresh Prince

• 442 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 10:31 PM

I would like to see evidence of a GM game played on a PS2, as well.

What I mean was that you can't play GM games(converted with G-Java or not) on a Ps2 with out alot of tweaking (I guess I never checked to make sure I had everything correct, Time for me to make sure I type everything correct from now on :huh: , sorry to everyone that thought I said it was possible)

and its slow, VERY slow, the computer sees a 300 mhz "unknown" processor with 32/64 (it cant decide) mb RAM and a 4 gig swapfile, and windows takes about 20- 30 minutes to load, and i have a LOT of crashes, i just have it for fun in there, to amaze my friends i would never recommend it anyone, because its simply crap.

I thought it would be slow, since the RAM is way below what is recommended for XP. I wonder why it sees a 32/64 MB of RAM since Ps2 only has 32MB .Also since you have XP can you still play PS2 games?

I have heard stories that its possible to get a Playstation 2 compatible version of Linux. If you have Linux, you could have a Windows Emulator. A Windows Emulator could run GameMaker games, I think, if it had some sort of DirectX support.

Timmins

It's not posible since most linux emulators(I believe it's all of them but I'm not sure) don't support DirectX(That's why I don't use Linux, I really want to but then I can't play any games)

-FP

Edited by fresh prince, 16 December 2004 - 10:50 PM.

#28 celebraces

celebraces

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 956 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 03:11 AM

1. you'd be more likely to get gm games to work on an xbox.

2. there's a linux for ps2 officially supported by sony (i think)

3. you need a hard drive that goes into the expansion port of the original ps2. the new one has no expansion port (due to it's size)

4. :huh: The ps2 already has a built in emulator! the ps1 games are emulated, not using the ps2's hardware!

#29 ps2god

ps2god

The Great Cornhole

• 530 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 03:29 AM

I hate to say it but its true that a GM game is mostlikely to go on an Xbox than a PS2 since Microsoft owns Xbox.

#30 fresh prince

fresh prince

The Fresh Prince

• 442 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 04:25 AM

3. you need a hard drive that goes into the expansion port of the original ps2. the new one has no expansion port (due to it's size)

Plus you need the network adapter. Also I was just at Playstation.com and noticed that the linux kit is no longer available in North America (oh well everyone outside of orth america can buy it,too bad that's not me lol) here's a link to more info about PS2 linux-
PS2 linux link

-FP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users