Simon Donkers

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 201 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 11 December 2004 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for all the positive replies.

http://gamemakergame.....et=Bacteria 2

Staff score being voted on, but there's the review.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. I used the original review to see where I could improve the game and it is really nice to read this new review. Thanks for the review.
And thanks for your review Knux91.
Succes everyone with beating it.

#32 Robby_Style()

Robby_Style()

GMC Member

• 74 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 12:14 AM

this game is pretty fun=)
although i do have some suggestions:
1) provide a small thumbnail preview of what the level you are about to play in the arcade is like. i understand that they are random, but map out the specific characteristics of it
2) random map mode (creates random, scattered items like wall)

#33 gameswillem.tk

gameswillem.tk

Synchronix Tools

• 88 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 12:37 AM

I just found out that the game eats about 60% of my CPU. No wonder it keeps beating me.. :D I run a 2.8 Ghz PC..

And, AI that 'slaughters' you in a few moves isn't funny.. :huh:

Love the game though :D

Willem

Edited by gameswillem.tk, 12 December 2004 - 12:37 AM.

#34 dbgtrgr

dbgtrgr

Co-Ruler of the Peanuts

• 110 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 12 December 2004 - 03:21 AM

I have played the game at my friends house and it's awesome, but I get an error on my comp when I try to play. It gives the "Unexpected error" error when it's loading.... :'(

#35 Simon Donkers

Simon Donkers

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for all the comments.

@gameswillem.tk: The AI is rather complicated and uses quite a bit of CPU, I know. It's either that or an easy game. However for those that are concerned, this game does not require a 2.8 GHz PC to play. It ran well on a 350 MHz

I have played the game at my friends house and it's awesome, but I get an error on my comp when I try to play. It gives the "Unexpected error" error when it's loading.... :'(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Strange. Can you run GM6 executables? Can you run executables with d3d in it? Also perhaps try redownloading. The file size of the exe is 2.920.891 bytes according to my PC. Other then that I guess this is an issue with your PC and GM6 executables. Try updating your drivers and DX. Other then that, search the forum for topics on how to make GM6 games run. As you are the only one reporting this issue and I got over 200 downloads I think this is something related to your PC.

#36 dbgtrgr

dbgtrgr

Co-Ruler of the Peanuts

• 110 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 12:47 AM

Yeah, I think it's with my comp, because I d/led it twice and it worked neither time. And I think it's a problem with GM6 exe's, cuz it has problems running anything I make in GM6, only really simple stuff. :\ I'll try to figure it out -_-

#37 Gamemakerkid

Gamemakerkid

GMC Member

• 27 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 11:18 PM

very nice

Edited by Gamemakerkid, 13 December 2004 - 11:19 PM.

#38 emwearz

emwearz

GMC Member

• 566 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 11:48 PM

Nice game, easily the most addictive puzzle game in the GMC at the moment. I think its funny how all the quotes at the first thread are from members of your group.Good work anyway and keep it up.

#39 Simon Donkers

Simon Donkers

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 01:01 PM

Thanks for all the comments.

@Gamemakerkid: This game is made using the default mplay functionality in Game Maker.

I think its funny how all the quotes at the first thread are from members of your group.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The members of H Unit had access to an exclusive beta as well as an exclusive alpha version. So when I wrote this post I only had there opinions on this game to post. Also it is more useful to post what a well known member thinks of the game rather then an unknown person. And as I did not want to make the first page any longer I did not add any more comments to it after posting it here except S-Chuck (not an H Unit member) who posted a very nice review about this game. Which reminds me that I still need to add a link to the review of YMM -_-

#40 PointOfLight

PointOfLight

GMC Member

• 337 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:18 AM

This is a really cool game. From the opening presentation you can tell it's going to be classy, and the techo interface is well done. The gameplay itself is good, but I think I'm going to have to practice (I got slaughtered on Easy :D ) This is overall a very professional looking game, though I realize by now you didn't need me to tell you that.

#41 cvshokaku41

cvshokaku41

GMC Member

• 44 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:09 PM

Very fun game. Everything about it is done well.

10/10 :D

#42 S-Chuck

S-Chuck

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 2314 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 17 December 2004 - 05:37 AM

I finally beat the last bonus level (*whew*) but only because the stones happened to line up just right to make it much easier (it took only 9 moves).

I am curious, Simon, as to how many columns long that last bonus level DOES extend (as I have played a number of what seemed like very long games and yet I never reached a right wall).

#43 Simon Donkers

Simon Donkers

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 11:42 AM

I finally beat the last bonus level (*whew*) but only because the stones happened to line up just right to make it much easier (it took only 9 moves).

I am curious, Simon, as to how many columns long that last bonus level DOES extend (as I have played a number of what seemed like very long games and yet I never reached a right wall).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow

When making this game I often wondered whether it would actually be useful to spent so much time making that bonus level because I though nobody would ever get that far. Very well done. The bonus level is 10.000 px width. With stones of 24 pixels that is 416 lines. Good luck finishing it until the end :huh:
For all people who are now wondering what I am talking about, just beat the game and you will find out. All in all it requires only 51 victories to get within the final level. And the final level is quite nice if I may say so myself. :huh:

#44 Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 07:48 PM

This game is great. Very addictive and totally professional. Two player mode is very cool.

#45 Timmins

Timmins

Go away.

• 475 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 01:27 PM

Great work, Simon. This game doesn't deserve to have the same amount of replies as Kung Keno's Intro Game. The menu was beautiful, the button rollovers were smooth, and the little game which is being played in the backgorund is immaculate. I still can't beat the easiest level, but everyone else can, so I know it works. The little wave of green when you rotate one of the markers is very nice, and smooth.

Well done,

Timmins
www.timmins.net.tf

#46 Simon Donkers

Simon Donkers

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 01:46 PM

Thanks for the replies.
Timmins, you aren't the only one that can't beat easy mode as far as I have heard from the rest. Just keep trying, you'll get there in the end.

Staff rating has been given at GameMakerGames. Bacteria got an 8.5. That is only 0.1 lower then Seiklus. :unsure:
Review by YoMamasMama can be found here.
Enjoy and keep those replies coming.

#47 score_under

score_under

Least kawaii

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 03:06 PM

I can't beat level 2 arcade!!
Is there a trick to this??

#48 ras_914

ras_914

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 07:27 PM

Quite an improvement over the first one, and the first was already pretty good. Managed to beat all three difficulty levels in normal mode, and I'm currently having a blast going through the arcade levels. Love the new graphical touches, as well.

One question, though: is it possible to keep the music from coming on at all? The first Bacteria game kind of got me used to having my own music in the background while I played.

#49 S-Chuck

S-Chuck

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 2314 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 08:34 PM

I assume that you mean Level 2 on Easy (green). There is no real trick. It is just a matter of hitting the right tiles at the right time... just like every other level.

One question, though: is it possible to keep the music from coming on at all? The first Bacteria game kind of got me used to having my own music in the background while I played.

If you are talking about the music coming back on after you have completed a level, that is, unfortunately, a bug.

As a result of the first question, I openned up this game for the first time since the Christmas Holidays began and noticed a new image in the top left corner of the screen activated by the date. So I changed my computer's date to New Years Day and openned the program again and the image changed to a new one.

An interesting touch there, Simon ;)

#50 Simon Donkers

Simon Donkers

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 12:17 AM

Thanks for all the comments ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not really. Just keep practicing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Click on the button music: on or press M to disable the music. There is a bug which S-Chuck pointed out when you disable the music during the victory music it won't stop but in all other cases it will stop. And if this bug occures, enabling and disabling the music will stop the bug from happening again.

As a result of the first question, I openned up this game for the first time since the Christmas Holidays began and noticed a new image in the top left corner of the screen activated by the date. So I changed my computer's date to New Years Day and openned the program again and the image changed to a new one.

An interesting touch there, Simon ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I added a few undocumented features to the game. For instance at Christmas and new year. Those are not all though. Good luck finding everything out with this game ^_^

#51 Charlo

Charlo

GMC Member

• 54 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 03:32 PM

Very nice game, too bad I suck at it. Nice job on the AI. Good graphics too. :huh:

#52 Timmins

Timmins

Go away.

• 475 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 04:12 PM

Will there be a B3? I can't see much updates which haven't been covered from version 1 to version 2, can you?

Timmins

#53 S-Chuck

S-Chuck

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 2314 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 12:22 AM

I can.... 4 player mode! (1 player and 3 AI or 4 players) :huh:

#54 gerdi

gerdi

GMC Member

• 89 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 04:47 AM

CURSE U SIMON!! and curse this game. I almost killed my computer because of this game. And i almost busted my LCD moniter that costed more than the actuall computer. =|

-gerdi

#55 Timmins

Timmins

Go away.

• 475 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 01:07 PM

CURSE U SIMON!! and curse this game. I almost killed my computer because of this game. And i almost busted my LCD moniter that costed more than the actuall computer. =|

Um, ok.

I can.... 4 player mode! (1 player and 3 AI or 4 players) 

Yea, or even online multiplayer mode; 2 - 4 players at once!

Timmins

#56 lmt32!

lmt32!

GMC Member

• 260 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 05:34 PM

Uhm... I don't know if you know about this, but...
http://www.thejab.co...wsite/balm.html
either you copied that game, or that game copied you?
Or I've got it all completely wrong?

#57 S-Chuck

S-Chuck

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 2314 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 06:28 PM

Uhm... I don't know if you know about this, but...
http://www.thejab.co...wsite/balm.html
either you copied that game, or that game copied you?
Or I've got it all completely wrong?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check the credits of Bacteria 2...

He states in there that his game was inspired by Disinfect the Core

Personally, I like this game much more than that one even though they are extremely similar :)

#58 Sheik06

Sheik06

GMC Member

• 589 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 01:36 AM

Not very originall idea....
http://www.absolufla...egie/jeux.shtml
Just look at the first game of this topic... But nicelly adapted to gm. And with more modes like multiplayer.

#59 lmt32!

lmt32!

GMC Member

• 260 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 11:19 AM

Oh.... sorry, I jumped to conclusions.
Shame though, I thought this was original.

Still good coding and that though. Congrats.
This version is a lot nicer.

Edited by lmt32!, 15 January 2005 - 05:08 PM.

#60 Sheik06

Sheik06

GMC Member

• 589 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 01:53 PM

Oh, I need to excuse my self. I didn't saw your post about the same thing as mine...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users