Ever Had Low Confidence In Gm

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Adam

Adam

Potato chip

• 755 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 09:45 PM

Have you ever had a time when you're working with GM but you don't have much confidence in what you were doing and just wanted to quit for now or for good. I have just recently after coming back to GM after twiddling with a program called Blender for about half a year and thinking I can't get used to working with GM again and i'm still like this somewhat though i'm working with GM once again. How about you guys?

#2 Skilzat99x

Skilzat99x

FlipCast Skilzat99X

• GMC Member
  • 1164 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 09:48 PM

Not really, I think that there will always be good possiblities with GM.

#3 TurkishGamer

TurkishGamer

Da Turk

• 493 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 09:49 PM

i do this all the time.i do this in the middle of creating a game and theres a bug I can't fix.i have had this happen many times

#4 KC LC

KC LC

Ex-Administrator

• Retired Staff
  • 5309 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 09:51 PM

Have you ever had a time when you're working with GM but you don't have much confidence in what you were doing and just wanted to quit for now or for good.

Sure, but I've always known that the problem was me and not GM. I guess that's what you mean too. We all get bogged down sometimes. Don't let it worry you.

But don't give up either...just work on something else for a while and then come back to the task. If you're not inspired, you won't be very creative. So take a break. It's not the end of the world.

#5 morphosis

morphosis

Enter-Active

• Retired Staff
  • 564 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 29 November 2004 - 09:52 PM

You need to take a break every once in a while. Don't touch the computer, enjoy other things...before you know BLAMM! You will be back on track.

I got sick of Making Games for about 2 months! Then all of a sudden...I craved it again!

This is what is called "Burnt Out"...it happend in a lot of things. Just take it easy, enjoy all around you. Do not force yourself to do things you really do not want to do.

Have fun!

#6 Dragongames

Dragongames

Comitar

• 162 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 10:35 PM

Gee, I think I've done this about 5 times. Of course now I realize that Game Making is not my thing, graphics are. Coding confuses me.

#7 halo7568

halo7568

GMC Member

• 76 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 11:38 PM

Ehh... I've done this many, many times.

#8 RYP

RYP

Glaze Studio Member

• 85 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 12:20 AM

This has happened to me too, but I've only been here for 2 1/2 months, so it's only happened to me once. I get "burnt-out" on the simplest things too. Like trying to get something to step towards the mouse. And I completely forgot about mouse_x and y. Simplest things.

#9 Adam

Adam

Potato chip

• 755 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 12:32 AM

So i'm not the only one

I don't feel as experienced as I used to in GM right now but *sigh* there's the Q&A forum I guess if there's a problem. <_<

#10 KC LC

KC LC

Ex-Administrator

• Retired Staff
  • 5309 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 01:04 AM

Of course now I realize that Game Making is not my thing, graphics are. Coding confuses me.

This brings up an important point about our little "game making community". It's this: not everybody needs to be skilled at GM. In other words, a good game needs lots of different talents -- story, coding, graphics, and music / sound FX.

So if you get burned out on GM, spend some time on your graphics, or make some sounds and music... or just THINK. Spend some time planning your game, thinking about the game concept.

This is why teams are so great. Each person compliments the other.

#11 warrior

warrior

GMC Member

• 1355 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 01:12 AM

Gee, I think I've done this about 5 times.  Of course now I realize that Game Making is not my thing, graphics are.  Coding confuses me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't believe that there are people that are not meant to code, sure is hard at first for everyone but after you get a hold of it you just do it, computer language is like normal language if you think about it, for example:
if place_free(x,y+1)
{gravity_direction=270
gravityt=0.5}
thats the same as saying if you're character has a "y" coordinate bigger than 1 the gravity direction will be 270 and the gravity will be 0.5

#12 Yowza Corp

Yowza Corp

Yowza Im Good

• 602 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 02:09 AM

Yes

#13 Skilzat99x

Skilzat99x

FlipCast Skilzat99X

• GMC Member
  • 1164 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 02:15 AM

Wow what a useless post.

Anyways I find that I only stop making a game when I run out of ideas, maybe about a month later I start back on it, all the progress of my games goes like this. :)

#14 tpvgames

tpvgames

was dt_8792

• 549 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 09:32 AM

I love GM, just that this community sometimes gets me so mad!!

I mean look at GML Sculptor, cool program, great future but no one will submit tutorials examples scripts etc. This is the reason my program is not doing so well!!

#15 Hexrapper

Hexrapper

The 1337 Rapper

• 26 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 06:52 PM

After two PC crashes as of recent, destroying all of my games and work and such, I've wanted to call it quits on GM for good for some time now. I won't, however - not until three games I have high hopes for are completed, along with my GM Book, anyway.

#16 YoMamasMama

YoMamasMama

Your Grandma

• 437 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 07:13 PM

I find I get "burnt-out" in GM when I make GMing my main focus in life. If I drop everything else and exclusively make games then after a week or so I'll run dry. I usually get alot done in that week, but reach a "programmer's block" right after.

If, however, I view GMing as a hobby (which it is) and balance it with the other aspects of my life (school, work, girlfriend, friends, guitar, playing games, getting sleep) I'll be much more enthusiastic about it when I get the chance to open up GM and start coding.

#17 Rowan Games

Rowan Games

Peace, love, empathy

• 192 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 07:28 PM

Yeah had it a few times. 1 time I had a problem, worked on it for days, maybe even a few weeks then dropped GM. A month later, I opened up GM, loaded the project and solved the problem in less than 5 minutes.

It's good to take a break... ::lmao::

#18 tangibleLime

tangibleLime

Lunatic

• Retired Staff
  • 2520 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 30 November 2004 - 07:43 PM

look at my sig :/

#19 Mocha Man

Mocha Man

Insanity in a box

• 186 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 01 December 2004 - 01:12 AM

Woohoo! Does this mean you might go away, Adam?

#20 Guest_PurpleFuzzy_*

Guest_PurpleFuzzy_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2004 - 06:05 AM

That wasn't very nice Mocha :D

Anyway, It's happened to me before, all through July when I was trying to work on my big project Hired Gun I made about a level and a half, and was uninspired to work on anything else. That was the first time it happened to me, so I'm guessing it'll probably happen to me every now and then.

#21 Sparx

Sparx

GMC Member

• 393 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 07:18 AM

I find I get "burnt-out" in GM when I make GMing my main focus in life.  If I drop everything else and exclusively make games then after a week or so I'll run dry.  I usually get alot done in that week, but reach a "programmer's block" right after. 

If, however, I view GMing as a hobby (which it is) and balance it with the other aspects of my life (school, work, girlfriend, friends, guitar, playing games, getting sleep) I'll be much more enthusiastic about it when I get the chance to open up GM and start coding.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the same thing with me. Even though i have only used GM for a year, there was one time, when i made GM my main focus in life only to find i lost inspiration and became of bored of GM. But when i balance with other stuff in life, yes i get more enthusiastic about programming my game.

#22 Timmins

Timmins

Go away.

• 475 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 04:37 PM

It has happened to me. I was mass downloading gamemaker games all the time, and I think I got a virus somehow. This might have been from something else though. We have to reboot the computer, and delete all files. My parents were really angry because my mother had loads of business documents on this computer, and they were lost. I was fed up with computers, and decided I quite programming.

I was back within a month :angry:.

Timmins

#23 ih8censorship

ih8censorship

GMC Member

• 165 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 01:21 AM

Adam- i think all programming is like that. things dont work out and you want to quit, but sooner or later if you keep working on it you can figure it out and often times an even better way. or maybey your burnt out and need some time away from programming. i get like that once in a while id say about a week or so out of the month i dont even touch my compiler. another thing could be your just not having fun with gamemaker anymore, so maybey try another language and try making something other than a game. theres lots of ideas that come when your not limited to makeing games and are using a high power language like c++.

#24 cyanide

cyanide

GMC Member

• 127 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 10:12 PM

well, i wanted to quit gm when 5.1 came out and everyone started using it. and everyone started whining about registring and stuff.

#25 Jonfletc

Jonfletc

Pyscho with M16

• 517 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:05 PM

ive given up on tonnes of games, because of boredom and loneliness, it is much better to go out with your friends than stay indoors making a game with nobody supporting you, although my friends support me with GMing so thats why i do it :)

-Jon

#26 lilgoaliebro

lilgoaliebro

GMC Member

• 590 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:07 PM

about a year ago, i downloaded gamemaker. (i forgot which version) And i was so frusterated and i just wanted to make a game in one weekend. but i wanted a game that was long and very fun. Haha. Then,a year later, i really wanted to make my own game. I went to the gm website and saw 5! i downloaded it and got right into it. Then 2 weeks later...... gm6 came out. i have been making games ever since.

Edited by lilgoaliebro, 03 December 2004 - 11:09 PM.

#27 jacobmp92

jacobmp92

Founder of GlobalMsg

• 107 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:07 PM

When I found out my gfx card couldnt play d3d, I came so close to taking a sledgehammer to my monitor :)

#28 biscuitz21

biscuitz21

The Fun Is The Game

• 95 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:20 PM

-_- I quit GM for bout 2 years cuz of some issues like that. I over burnt myself out. All I did was work on GM for like 1 or 2 months with little break and you know what happens after that. :P Now I'm back! I'm not exactly enthusiastic about GM cuz I still see improvements that need to be made. Right now I'm kinda quiting again cuz I haven't worked on my programs for a while. Actually I'm just takin a break. And I thought I was the only 1 with this problem ;) . They ought to make up a name for this. Like "over programming syndrome" ^_^ or "too much programming syndrome". :) Better yet "burn out syndrome" :P

#29 Adam

Adam

Potato chip

• 755 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:26 PM

-_- I quit GM for bout 2 years cuz of some issues like that.  I over burnt myself out.  All I did was work on GM for like 1 or 2 months with little break and you know what happens after that.  :P Now I'm back!  I'm not exactly enthusiastic about GM cuz I still see improvements that need to be made.  Right now I'm kinda quiting again cuz I haven't worked on my programs for a while.  Actually I'm just takin a break.  And I thought I was the only 1 with this problem ;) .  They ought to make up a name for this.  Like "over programming syndrome" ^_^  or "too much programming syndrome".  :) Better yet "burn out syndrome" :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think they would already have a good name for that. It's like being burnt out with any other task. :P

#30 biscuitz21

biscuitz21

The Fun Is The Game

• 95 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:38 PM

:) Um I have a confession to make. I burn out very easily. ;) I have too many skills. I can use just about any program. I can code, draw, music, blah blah blah but after a while Im just wiped out by all the work and "quit" for a while. Usually I don't try to use confusing programs or I burn out quicker. Actually I am burning out more than usual cuz of school. :P That's probably why some of us burn out more. Actually we probably can never quit GM cuz we're addicted to it. I don't understand why but we just are. Maybe because we are so desperate to have a game, or just to be known that we made a great game ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users