Photo

View all code as GML

Best Answer ELS, 28 March 2016 - 10:03 PM

I think I'll stick with Game Maker, while I would be more comfortable with code GM seems pretty easy to learn and I like the approach it takes to a lot of things not to mention the amount of resources already available.

Thanks for the prompt and comprehensive answers, marking this as resolved.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ELS

ELS

GMC Member

• 3 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:06 PM

I'm a programmer by trade and have put together a few rooms/mechanics using the drag and drop editor. I'm wondering if there's a way to see everything as code(GML) - I would find it much easier to read and write. 

Sorry if this is something simple but I've taken a quick look through GM studios interface and the forums and haven't been able to find anything. Maybe my google-fu is just weak.

#2 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:09 PM

I don't think so. GameMaker's GUI isn't programmed in gml, and I doubt they're planning on going open-source any time soon.

AczgxAZ.png

^kept in my sig for historical purposes^

#3 TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko

Remember... and never forget

• Global Moderators
  • 9535 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:11 PM

Edit -> Show Object Information.

This will display all attributes of all object resources, including code. Scripts, shaders and room and instance creation code will not be displayed. Scripts and shaders are stored in plain text in their respective resource folders in your project's folder. Room and instance creation code is stored in the corresponding room's file in the rooms folder in your project's folder.

This is the closest you will get to what you're looking for when we're talking about GM:S' native functionality.

Outside of that, there's an external IDE called Parakeet 2, which may be worth taking a look at.

yBGBXQa.pngmWOQbeq.png

#4 ELS

ELS

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:16 PM

That's somewhat inconvenient, are games generally made with mostly the GUI, mostly GML or a mix depending on the requirements of the game?

Edit > Object info isn't really what I'm looking for. I want to be able to edit things as I with an "execute piece of code" statement. 

I'll check out Parakeet 2, thanks for the suggestion.

I feel like some features I want to implement are going to be quite difficult working with just the GUI(Cascading windows, lots of stats for damage calculation, etc). Maybe I just need a bit of practice. Additionally is there anyway to make a draw statement display what's actually drawn - even with 4 or 5 of them bunched together it's annoying have to click in to each of them to find the one I'm looking for.

Edit: Parakeet 2 is still in closed beta. I'll watch that space.

Edited by ELS, 28 March 2016 - 09:18 PM.

#5 TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko

Remember... and never forget

• Global Moderators
  • 9535 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:35 PM

What you'll be using is mostly up to your preferences and partially depends on your game's requirements. If you want to, you can make games in mostly GML with the only GUI interaction you'll have being creating resources such as graphics, audio, scripts, one room and objects, then adding events to objects (Create, Step and Draw per object are usually sufficient) and dragging an "Execute Code" D&D into each of them.

It is technically completely possible to write an entire game using just one room, one object, one Step and one Draw event, but this is neither very practical nor going to end up very optimized.

yBGBXQa.pngmWOQbeq.png

#6 cdrdub8

cdrdub8

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 518 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:50 PM

GameMaker is made for people with no or very small background of programming/coding/scripting.

It is designed to handle everything for you and let you do only the "game" itself.

If you want something that you do code-wise completly, then gamemaker is not what you are looking for.

There are many other game making engines, one that comes to mind is the haXe ( pronouces hex ) which 

is a Game-Oriented programming language, and it's open source and free.

Otherwise, if you stick to GameMaker, which is actually a lot less pain, you'll have to learn to work with the gui,

remember that the events are graphical components and not script-accessible, etc.

- Cdrdub8

I am building awesomeness, wait for it!

#7 ELS

ELS

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:03 PM   Best Answer

I think I'll stick with Game Maker, while I would be more comfortable with code GM seems pretty easy to learn and I like the approach it takes to a lot of things not to mention the amount of resources already available.

Thanks for the prompt and comprehensive answers, marking this as resolved.