• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KAN3KI

KAN3KI

GMC Member

• 14 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:13 PM

Okay so lately i have had a spark of genius and thought of my next game. My very own life (Weird i know but i feel it would make an amazing game). I have mainly in the past concentrated on action games and the like which focused on user interactivity. My main problem i have is how do i go about creating a storytelling game. I need to know what possible elements need to be added to not make it feel like a digital storybook. If you could also point me towards games/examples it would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 nvrogers

nvrogers

Grumpy Robot

• GMC Member
  • 562 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 02:31 AM

Depends on the story (even if it's autobiographical). Could you give us some key plot points so we can get a better handle on the tone and what needs to be conveyed? 

I work on games sometimes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello. It seems the forum has been sucked into the abyss. What fun!

#3 KAN3KI

KAN3KI

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:34 AM

I would say it's a sad romantic type game with a guy longing for a girl but in the end not getting her. It goes through his struggles, the time they spent together, the stuff they did etc.

#4 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:30 PM

Well, that's hard to tell what it needs. If you don't want it to feel like a good there's one solution: good gameplay. 

If you want to play games that I had a great middle ground in my opinion, try the Phoenix Wright series on Nintendo DS or again 999. 

----------------------------------------- Always need testers! -------------------------------------------------------

The Life Ruby (Metroidvania platformer / Skills platformer)

(alpha section)

http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=658670&hl=

#5 GameFrnzy

GameFrnzy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:43 PM

I would not put this idea into a literal sense. I would make a platformer with the theme of your story layered on an external theme.

Some external conflict that your characters are going through but at the same time showing the internal conflict of the relationship. A game where the end goal is to defeat this external conflict (Saving the world or whatever). But at the same time you used your experiences to illustrate these 2 characters coming together, and falling apart. So the end would be the characters savingg the world but having to part ways and never see each other or whatever you choose along those lines.

#6 nvrogers

nvrogers

Grumpy Robot

• GMC Member
  • 562 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:00 AM

I would say it's a sad romantic type game with a guy longing for a girl but in the end not getting her. It goes through his struggles, the time they spent together, the stuff they did etc.

There are really 2 approaches you could go for: Literal and metaphoric.

For a literal approach, you'll want to create gameplay based on dialogue and possibly some minigames to simulate activities. You want to make the gameplay directly represent the events as they happened in real life. The advantages of this approach are that you might be able to capture more of the nuances of the story. However, it may lack a visceral, gameplay based connection to the story.

For a more metaphorical approach, you'll have to make gameplay to represent general themes and emotions, and then assemble those gameplay elements into a coherent "story" (although, "collection of experiences" may be a better word). This is a good way to make the story more viscerally easy to connect with, but you might lose some of the complexities and dramatic reveals of the full story.

I work on games sometimes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello. It seems the forum has been sucked into the abyss. What fun!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: question, idea