Photo

Advice for a Creator looking to make something Big.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sk1nnyDud3

Sk1nnyDud3

GMC Member

• 3 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:32 PM

Hello everyone. Curious if anyone has made this yet, but I wanted to see how this works out... (Also, apologizes if this is in the wrong forum  ^_^ Pretty sure its not, but just to be safe. )

I wanted to make a forum post not only for myself, but for anyone else really new to Game Maker and need some advice, tips, or easy methods to get them on the right track to their first real game. Now for me, I have a few questions... 

Though there are plenty of tutorials out there, the one major question I see and ask constantly when making my first real game is... What should I make? Better yet, what would be the easiest for someone new to Game Maker? A top down shooter or rpg? Maybe a side scrolling beat em up? A space racing game? Or even a 3rd person puzzle game? The options on what to make are limitless!

Personally, I am stuck on that question.  I am planning on making an Action RPG, but don't know whether Side Scrolling or Top Down would be better... Maybe have a turn based combat or a hack and slash kind of feel? Along with that, I may just scrap the Action aspect and just make a good old Point and Click RPG like King's Quest, Grim Fandango, or one of the many Telltale Games. Main problem is... I don't know which one would be easier for one to make and which would be wanted more in the gaming community.

I personally have more experience with Top Down games in Game Maker. Making plenty of scrapped Top Down games, along with experimenting with Isometric views which ended with a flop...

But I don't want this game to feel overdone. You know? Since I will be working on this game till I believe it is perfect! I am "limited" (and I use that word sarcastically  :wink: ) to pixel art styles and chiptune (8-bit) music. All this is gonna be a one man project that I am gonna overcome with sheer determination, sweat, and a lot of sleep deprived nights  :lol:

I have a deadline set for myself by the end of July and may extend it depending on how far I am. But this is far more then a dream to make a game that is entertaining to others, but a challenge to test myself to the limits!

And yes, I know I may sound a bit "ambitious" and "exaggerated", but its a dream I want to work at it. I know there will be bumps and problems, but I am willing to go through that.

But before I do this. Before I go on this adventure through game development, I wanna ask the community and the experienced for their opinion. What do they think? Do they have any advice? Curious on your guys input and if you have read this far...

Thanks for reading. Appreciate the help  :lol:

Edited by Sk1nnyDud3, 25 March 2016 - 06:33 PM.

#2 Mornedil

Mornedil

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1450 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:27 PM

My advice is to be patient and don't do your dream project as your first project. Especially if you want it to turn out "perfect". Instead of caring about whether others will be interested in your first game, make it for your own sake, for learning reasons. 

If you ask me, a good "first project" would be to create a clone of some old arcade game. That way you know exactly what needs to be done since you know what the end result is supposed to be like, and you'll learn the process of making a simple game from start to finish.

My first game project was a Pacman clone called Crackman, where you collected drugs instead of pellets and were chased by police instead of ghosts. I wouldn't imagine anyone would want to play it, but I learned a lot from it :)

~ Pause systems for your games ~

EasyPauseIcon.png                   icon_medium.png

#3 Zuurix

Zuurix

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:02 PM

• If you are planning to make RPG's, start with RPG. It's easier to start with arcade game, but it won't get you closer to making a RPG.
  • Make everything - graphics, interfaces, game rules - persistent.
  • Focus on the beginning of the game. First hour of gameplay is most important, people usually quit after one hour.
  • Make sure your game isn't too hard or too grindy. What's acceptable in Dark Souls and World of Warcraft is not acceptable in small single-player RPG's.
  • Never give up and finish your games.
  • Don't be afraid to not listen to the tips and rules. Art is pretty much rule breaking, finding your own way, etc.

1g6wSTF.png

#4 Xer0botXer0

Xer0botXer0

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 770 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 05:16 AM

• If you are planning to make RPG's, start with RPG. It's easier to start with arcade game, but it won't get you closer to making a RPG.
  • Make everything - graphics, interfaces, game rules - persistent.
  • Focus on the beginning of the game. First hour of gameplay is most important, people usually quit after one hour.
  • Make sure your game isn't too hard or too grindy. What's acceptable in Dark Souls and World of Warcraft is not acceptable in small single-player RPG's.
  • Never give up and finish your games.
  • Don't be afraid to not listen to the tips and rules. Art is pretty much rule breaking, finding your own way, etc.

What this dood said,

You'll learn to code by making games other than your dream game, but you wont be making your dream game.

When you make your dream game you'll be learning how to make it as you go along therefor learning to code and of course..

Ooh I love this one.

//=====================

Good bye, Farewell GMC! :D

See you all in the next TIER!

======================\\