Photo

Forum Upgrade starts on Tuesday 29th March!

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#51 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:02 PM

Shawn said something very similar, in the other thread..

And this isn't what I'm talking about. You and he, keep looking at hacking the GMC, as only a mechanism to getting GMC data. That's not how it works. When machines are rooted, almost always an unrelated vulnerable subsystem is exploited. From there a shell is obtained, or privileges escalated and then other areas affected.

But you guys have made your decision. No problem.

The machine has never been taken over. The user account the forum is built on is very restricted, and so even when they install a root kit, they just can't access anything outside of the forum folder space - this was also verified with the last hack. This is also why there was a delay, to make sure the hacking of one, would not compromise the other (as best we can at any rate).

#52 Barvix

Barvix

Legend Of Carrot

• GMC:Member
  • 1019 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:45 PM

The current GMC will go down for maintenance on Tuesday the 29th of March.

Just saying, don't see a 2016. We still have time people.

#53 Ninety

Ninety

I just want to see if the mods will waive the character limit.

• GMC Member
  • 846 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 27 March 2016 - 12:03 AM

Hey guys I don't think we've run this joke into the ground quite yet

In all seriousness, glad to see the YoYo team is putting security first and is taking steps to ensure the archive is safe.

ka0eZdt.png
twitter | soundcloud | gmcomicified | ask.fm | homestead | itch.io | TIGsource

goodnight, sweet prince

#54 Lawsome

Lawsome

Not Lukasmah

• GMC Member
  • 271 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 27 March 2016 - 12:16 AM

Hey guys I don't think we've run this joke into the ground quite yet

By turning the delay into a meme that eventually becomes insufferable we strike a brilliant compromise between those groups that are irritated by the awkward forum shutdown and those groups that side with Yoyo.

Sure the delay was unavoidable, maybe it could have been handled better, but you can damn well guarantee we're never going to forget it.

Edited by Lawsome, 27 March 2016 - 12:17 AM.

ahahahha theyll never catch mee

#55 JeffJ

JeffJ

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 527 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 12:44 AM

Thanks Mike, appreciate the detailed response.

One thing I'm wondering, just out of curiosity; I saw in another thread that one of the reasonings behind the upgrade, besides improved security, was more features and functionality, but I saw nothing even remotely specific. As someone who is pretty satisfied with the features of the current forum, I'm having a hard time seeing what additional features we would want that we don't already have (beyond additional features to make the lives of a mod easier - I have no insight into that)?

I totally get the argument about improved security, but beyond that, I must admit that I've been having trouble seeing any other actual reasons as to why this forum switch is important. I'd love to be enlightened, because I feel like I'm completely missing something rather obvious.

spoileralertsignature.png     jefftwittersignature.png

#56 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:26 AM

Thanks Mike, appreciate the detailed response.

One thing I'm wondering, just out of curiosity; I saw in another thread that one of the reasonings behind the upgrade, besides improved security, was more features and functionality, but I saw nothing even remotely specific. As someone who is pretty satisfied with the features of the current forum, I'm having a hard time seeing what additional features we would want that we don't already have (beyond additional features to make the lives of a mod easier - I have no insight into that)?

I totally get the argument about improved security, but beyond that, I must admit that I've been having trouble seeing any other actual reasons as to why this forum switch is important. I'd love to be enlightened, because I feel like I'm completely missing something rather obvious.

Most of the features and functionality are in the Admin side of things, tbh. IPB is good, but changing things can be a real pain and most often requires a plugin or some form of editing to be done on the base php/CSS. We are not too happy with this, as plugins and editing stuff could leave us open to attacks, so we are pretty much stuck with base IPB stuff. However the new forum software has a massive list of features that come "out of the box" and will make administrating the forum so much easier... From a user point of view, the new forums will be created to look/feel like the current ones, and new features, like trophies for example, will be activated at a later date once everyone knows their way around and we've seen how people react to and use the new software.

Also note that apart from trying to make the forum less vulnerable and improve the overall experience, we also wanted to "trim" the forum down. Currently the GMC is massive and has a LOT of junk!!! New users coming here are often a bit bewildered by it all and more and more we (the staff) are seeing posts places in the wrong forum. We could trim it all back and start to delete stuff, but amongst the "junk" there are still topics and posts from years ago that get used and are valid. So, as a compromise between nuking the GMC/Trimming the GMC and moving the GMC, we decided that archive/move was the best all-round solution, especially as it gives us a chance to change the forum software as we are not 100% happy with IPB.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#57 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:38 AM

...But what about ruining icuurd12b42's perfect 18,000 posts by taking too long?! What a travesty for all of those with OCD.

I can try for 18200... much less satifying

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#58 Barvix

Barvix

Legend Of Carrot

• GMC:Member
  • 1019 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 06:06 AM

I can get trophies on the new forums?

#59 galladhan

galladhan

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:00 AM

...But what about ruining icuurd12b42's perfect 18,000 posts by taking too long?! What a travesty for all of those with OCD.

I would go with 18181, if i was in you ;)

#60 lolslayer

lolslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 242 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:48 AM

I feel sorry for your magnificant post count...

#61 Andy

Andy

GMC Veteran

• GMC Member
  • 1988 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 07:45 PM

I am excited to see the new forums! :)

Please visit my website, Andygames.com today!

#62 Scurrttie

Scurrttie

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:12 PM

This upgrade will hopefully be Awesome!

The old GMC will be loved and missed.  :crying:

#63 Colonello

Colonello

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:14 PM

On the previous post it says the downtime will be about two weeks. Why is this? I know it's probably not this simple but isn't it just taking down this one and loading the already prepared new software?

#64 ShaunS

ShaunS

Community Manager

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 215 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:23 PM

On the previous post it says the downtime will be about two weeks. Why is this? I know it's probably not this simple but isn't it just taking down this one and loading the already prepared new software?

That prior estimate doesn't really apply here, but in any case: We're not just upgrading the forum software, we're doing that in addition to vital security maintenance work on the server itself.

That's the primary reason for the downtime in the first place, the forum upgrade is just the most noticeable consequence ;)

Edited by ShaunS, 27 March 2016 - 09:23 PM.

Community Manager for YoYo Games. Sometimes known to make video games. Streams nonsense at twitch.tv/shaunjsTweets nonsense at @shaunspalding.

-S

#65 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:00 AM

Shaun, at what web address will the new forum be hosted?

#66 Tirous

Tirous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 640 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:06 AM

Shaun, at what web address will the new forum be hosted?

if what they said previously still applies, this forum will be at the same url, only archived and what-not

the new forums dont really need to be explained in terms of there url, as i cant imagin yoyo wouldn't hook it up to the 'community -> gmc' link on there main page

at least... i assume they wont forget =/

#67 TLT96

TLT96

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:55 AM

Finally i will have a chance to be the very best :v

Well, i just came here because i wanted to ask something important, i saw someone talking about how to get a link to the new profile, isnt exactly that, he talked about dropping a file in Dropbox and bring up the url here, and when someone clicks it supposed to get you to the new url .-. It may sound a little easy but i want to make sure... Also it may sound like isnt important (And im pretty sure isnt important) but i just wanted to know :3

If i solve your problem click right here---------------------------------------------^ rep_up.png                  .

Btw, im having issues with the forum, if you see weird stuff in my messages i apologize for them...

I usually get weird colours, Weird quotes or the worst of all... Incomplete messages (Half of my messages get lost...)

Hablas español? Pues, haz tus dudas de Game Maker en >este< foro

#68 Colonello

Colonello

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:41 AM

That prior estimate doesn't really apply here, but in any case: We're not just upgrading the forum software, we're doing that in addition to vital security maintenance work on the server itself.

That's the primary reason for the downtime in the first place, the forum upgrade is just the most noticeable consequence ;)

Ahh I see, thank you for the response! :)

#69 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:54 AM

Any estimate of how long the site will be down? Like, is it a matter of hours, or days, or weeks?

AczgxAZ.png

^kept in my sig for historical purposes^

#70 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 03:08 AM

Any estimate of how long the site will be down? Like, is it a matter of hours, or days, or weeks?

Maybe, years?

I'm just kidding. :P

Unless things have changed, it should be no more than two weeks. It could be a lot sooner though.

Edited by Mr. RPG, 28 March 2016 - 03:10 AM.

#71 Tirous

Tirous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 640 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 03:21 AM

any idea of when exactly the site will be closing down, its on the 29th, but is it the night before, the night after, mid-day, dawn, or dusk?

#72 Dread

Dread

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 03:32 AM

In all seriousness, glad to see the YoYo team is putting security first and is taking steps to ensure the archive is safe.

Well what I wanna add here is that security is a state of mind.

Buy yes, you are right; I am also glad that yoyo games made that decision to make things better for them and also all of us.

I am new to the community but I really can't wait to  see what they are up to.

#73 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:13 AM

We are estimating two weeks MAX... It'll probably (hopefully?) only take a couple of days at most, but we want to make sure that everything works and is good before opening things up again, and we also want to give the moderating team a few days to adjust to the new forums and get used the layout and tools. 

any idea of when exactly the site will be closing down, its on the 29th, but is it the night before, the night after, mid-day, dawn, or dusk?

It''l be the morning (9am onwards GMT) I would assume, but it's difficult to say for sure... but anytime after 9am it could happen...

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#74 YanBG

YanBG

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 217 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:57 AM

Tomorrow is a good time for me to take a vacation :)

#75 Mornedil

Mornedil

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1450 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:23 PM

Might be a stupid question, but any idea yet what the new forum URL will be?

~ Pause systems for your games ~

EasyPauseIcon.png                   icon_medium.png

#76 ShaunS

ShaunS

Community Manager

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:36 PM

Just pay attention to the social channels and our website, it'll all get announced as and when and you'll be able to find your way there. =)

Community Manager for YoYo Games. Sometimes known to make video games. Streams nonsense at twitch.tv/shaunjsTweets nonsense at @shaunspalding.

-S

#77 Mornedil

Mornedil

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1450 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:54 PM

Just pay attention to the social channels and our website, it'll all get announced as and when and you'll be able to find your way there. =)

Oh lord, I've always feared the day I could no longer stay away from the social media sites, but big things are at stake here..

#78 roytheshort

roytheshort

The Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 539 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:06 PM

Can I just be the first to request the new forum has Emojis instead of Emoticons? Can we also have skinny lattes, sunglasses, and a direct feed from The LAD Bible directly into the Suggestions Box? Also can Spambots be given Admin rights since there's blatant robot repression going on here?

Edited by roytheshort, 28 March 2016 - 02:06 PM.

#79 Destron

Destron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1361 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:07 PM

Excited to see this is finally happening. Several sites I frequent also use XenForo and it is a much superior experience to IBP, especially for viewing on mobile. IBP just seems to he stuck in a time capsule.
HTML5 INI Saving Example | HTML5/GMS Saving/Loading/User Login with PHP/MySQL/Async | GameMaker Examples/Tutorials | PHP/MySQL cross platform high score list/leaderboard
Those who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed.

#80 Mornedil

Mornedil

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1450 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:28 PM

Can I just be the first to request the new forum has Emojis instead of Emoticons? Can we also have skinny lattes, sunglasses, and a direct feed from The LAD Bible directly into the Suggestions Box? Also can Spambots be given Admin rights since there's blatant robot repression going on here?

you can always upload your own emojis to dropbox and attach them as images nod.gif

edit: lmfao, I was too tired to properly read your entire post so the very obvious sarcasm escaped my brain x)

Edited by Mornedil, 28 March 2016 - 02:31 PM.

#81 ShaunS

ShaunS

Community Manager

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 04:39 PM

You can definitely be the first to suggest that!

-S

#82 Detective Pixel

Detective Pixel

GMC Dancer

• GMC Member
  • 555 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 04:51 PM

Ooo! Looking forward to it!

PIXEL_Archive.png

#83 FortyEightKay

FortyEightKay

Commercial Developer

• GMC Member
  • 1297 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:17 PM

Two weeks without the GMC! Will there be a support group in place during this period?

#84 roytheshort

roytheshort

The Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 539 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:32 PM

There's the discord chat which I won't link to because I'm lazy.

#85 TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko

Remember... and never forget

• Global Moderators
  • 9535 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:46 PM

Two weeks without the GMC! Will there be a support group in place during this period?

The main site, and therefore YoYo's support, are not going down. It's just the GMC.

yBGBXQa.pngmWOQbeq.png

#86 Tirous

Tirous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 640 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:29 PM

stupid question, but if the gmc shuts down and your still on it, what exactly will happen from your perspective?

#87 pupo

pupo

Archive Guardian

• GMC Member
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:17 AM

Will the off-topic be visible in the archived GMC? As I believe you can only see the off-topic when logged in, at least at the moment.

Farewell GMC, in my memory you will live on for all eternity. PEACE

Spoiler
4#%/6&D2*¥+ TRANSMISION FROM THE FUTURE RECEIVED - =  PUPO'S MODERN PROFILE EQUIVALENT

#88 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:54 AM

stupid question, but if the gmc shuts down and your still on it, what exactly will happen from your perspective?

You refresh the page, but it doesn't load. Yeah, sort of boring.

AczgxAZ.png

#89 TLT96

TLT96

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:01 AM

Your computer will explode *-*

Well, i just came here because i wanted to ask something important, i saw someone talking about how to get a link to the new profile, isnt exactly that, he talked about dropping a file in Dropbox and bring up the url here, and when someone clicks it supposed to get you to the new url .-. It may sound a little easy but i want to make sure... Also it may sound like isnt important (And im pretty sure isnt important) but i just wanted to know :3

Anyone? So.... we can spam and do illegally stuff on the forum? Like insult and stuff? If its going to be closed ban isnt that bad :P

If i solve your problem click right here---------------------------------------------^ rep_up.png                  .

Btw, im having issues with the forum, if you see weird stuff in my messages i apologize for them...

I usually get weird colours, Weird quotes or the worst of all... Incomplete messages (Half of my messages get lost...)

Hablas español? Pues, haz tus dudas de Game Maker en >este< foro

#90 Greenhawk

Greenhawk

Gue Games

• GMC Member
  • 722 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:06 AM

I wonder who will get the first post on the GMC. The first ever GMC hunger games is gonna be the struggle :)

Games Made:

Youtube Channels:

One of the many GMC Gurus.

#91 GenoDoucette

GenoDoucette

g e n o d o

• GMC Member
  • 1008 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:01 AM

What time will it be shutting down?

ALWAYS >b3v6o7.jpg< ALWAYS

#92 Peridot Gaming

Peridot Gaming

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:03 AM

What time will it be shutting down?

As was said further up the page:

It''l be the morning (9am onwards GMT) I would assume, but it's difficult to say for sure... but anytime after 9am it could happen...

Find me on: itch.io  |  GameJolt  |  Website  |  Facebook

#93 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:36 AM

I wonder who will get the first post on the GMC. The first ever GMC hunger games is gonna be the struggle :)

My bets are on Nocturne. He's probably already made it by now.

AczgxAZ.png

#94 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:26 AM

I guess this really is the end...

#95 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:55 AM

My bets are on Nocturne. He's probably already made it by now.

That is a bet you will win then. :)

@pupo: As for the question of off-topic being visible, yes, it will be.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#96 xygthop3

xygthop3

You may know me from such forums as "Shaders"

• GMC Member
  • 3367 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:24 AM

A more prestigious victory would be the first member to get banned on the new forum.

#97 JeffJ

JeffJ

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 527 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:57 AM

Could be any time now... Goodbye, my dear. <3

spoileralertsignature.png     jefftwittersignature.png

#98 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:37 AM

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#99 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:39 AM

The end of an era. :heidy:

Goodbye GMC! We'll miss you.  :crying:

Edited by Mr. RPG, 29 March 2016 - 08:47 AM.

#100 afender7

afender7

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:58 AM

We'll have to make new accounts yeah?

Yep.

Time to set up 151 new email addresses so I can reserve all 151 original Pokemon and sell the account names on eBay.

Wait, this isn't MapleStory.

jqmd0g.png