Photo

Forum Upgrade starts on Tuesday 29th March!

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 ShaunS

ShaunS

Community Manager

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 215 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:19 PM

Hello everybody!

I’m happy to finally announce that our previously announced forum upgrade is coming very soon!

The current GMC will go down for maintenance on Tuesday the 29th of March.

When it returns the current GMC will be archived. You will not be able to add new content or access your old account but all of the old content will continue to exist for legacy purposes.

We do not have an exact estimate for the duration of the down time, but the new forums will be announced on our website and through our social channels. 

Follow @YoYoGames on Twitter for the most recent updates. 

I look forward to seeing you all on the brand new GMC forums!

Edited by ShaunS, 25 March 2016 - 12:19 PM.

Community Manager for YoYo Games. Sometimes known to make video games. Streams nonsense at twitch.tv/shaunjsTweets nonsense at @shaunspalding.

-S

#2 Webb

Webb

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:24 PM

cant wait :)

#3 Catsaiah

Catsaiah

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:26 PM

We'll have to make new accounts yeah?

Wanna see my games? Check out my YouTube Channel!

Want to see more of me? I have a Twitter account too!

Farewell GMC - You've been great

#4 ShaunS

ShaunS

Community Manager

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 215 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:26 PM

Yep.

Community Manager for YoYo Games. Sometimes known to make video games. Streams nonsense at twitch.tv/shaunjsTweets nonsense at @shaunspalding.

-S

#5 Misu

Misu

Awesometasticness!

• GMC Member
  • 691 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:32 PM

Its about time

#6 Xer0botXer0

Xer0botXer0

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 770 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:32 PM

Is there a way to register our account so long ? I saw there's a link or something like that.

//=====================

Good bye, Farewell GMC! :D

See you all in the next TIER!

======================\\

#7 RujiK

RujiK

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:33 PM

200_s.gif

#8 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 4048 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:55 PM

On a forum, it's general courtesy to give us at least a week's notice before closing down. You know, give the less active users fair time to get online and back up whatever they need to grab after two months of normal activities.

Not to be a pain but wouldn't it make more sense to bring down the forums at the start of the next calender month? As hilarious as it would be for YYG to shut down the forums on the 1st of April, it would also give the users here exactly a week's worth of notice (from this announcement).

tumblr_ngbm3tNUVy1thlk7do1_75sq.png

Professor Kayge says: "Play Project Jin! I'm sure it's been released by whatever year you're reading this in!"

#9 Ninety

Ninety

I just want to see if the mods will waive the character limit.

• GMC Member
  • 846 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 25 March 2016 - 01:03 PM

To be fair, they did have the previous announcement. And most of us prepared in the days prior to Jan 19th.

Glad to see this is finally happening. Fingers crossed the new forum is good!

ka0eZdt.png
twitter | soundcloud | gmcomicified | ask.fm | homestead | itch.io | TIGsource

goodnight, sweet prince

#10 Magnus123

Magnus123

Robot Girls <3 <3 <3

• GMC Member
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 01:07 PM

oh yeah!

Why choose not to believe in God's existence when you can disprove Its eternal kindness in this cruel world?

The idea of God was probably made because we can not explain anything in the first place.

Then, we searched for answers and probably scratched the surface of everything. We were able to satisfy ourselves.

But what if we know everything there is to know about anything? Our evolution will stop, our determination will fade, what drives us to change will be gone. That's probably why God exist. Someone (or something) that can not be explained. The greatest mystery of them all.

#11 hippyman

hippyman

Dirty Stinky Hippy

• GMC Member
  • 837 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 01:42 PM

Yep.

Neat a clean slate! 

badge.png?dl=0

HM Audio Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/hm-audio

#12 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 02:26 PM

Finally!

It's for real this time, right...?

AczgxAZ.png

^kept in my sig for historical purposes^

#13 hippyman

hippyman

Dirty Stinky Hippy

• GMC Member
  • 837 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 02:46 PM

What if this is just one huge build-up for a super epic April fools joke?

badge.png?dl=0

HM Audio Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/hm-audio

#14 Alice

Alice

Toolmaker of Bucuresti

• GMC Member
  • 1392 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 02:59 PM

Maybe at least one week in advance before the notice would be appropriate... but given how long we've waited for the update already, I'd rather have them bring it on and be done with it. Seriously, that update is so long overdue at this point, and I'd like to finally see forums alive once again. I mean, given quite a few users decided to stop posting to keep their arbitrary posts number and such...

Plus, the sooner we're over with it, the less chance the update will get in the way of another GMC Jam. >.<

LShy6C6.png

#15 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:01 PM

On a forum, it's general courtesy to give us at least a week's notice before closing down. You know, give the less active users fair time to get online and back up whatever they need to grab after two months of normal activities.

Is more notice really necessary?  I mean, we've known for some time that the closure was planned.  Even less active members probably know by now.   With all the discussion, multiple topics, profile comments, etc., it's hard to miss.

Plus, the old GMC will be archived.  So content will still be available for download.

#16 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:11 PM

*insert reaction here*

Yeah, I don't really know how to react to these news (haven't I already done that somewhere else...?), but I guess some sort of confirmation of having seen this is appropriate.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#17 roytheshort

roytheshort

The Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 539 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:12 PM

Can we Downgrade to Beast Forum Software?

#18 TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko

Remember... and never forget

• Global Moderators
  • 9535 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:26 PM

Does this mean that the (paid) moderator vacation starts on the 29th as well?

yBGBXQa.pngmWOQbeq.png

#19 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 4048 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:29 PM

Is more notice really necessary?  I mean, we've known for some time that the closure was planned.  Even less active members probably know by now.   With all the discussion, multiple topics, profile comments, etc., it's hard to miss.

Plus, the old GMC will be archived.  So content will still be available for download.

Have you really been sat there patiently for the last two months for YYG to decide when this is actually going to happen?

Two months is a long time, you don't seem to get that so let me put this into prospective for you. The last two months for me has been:
- Six jobs as a graphics artist
- Three people learning GML under me
- One artist learning about pixel art under me
- Extensive work on my own project(s)
- About fifty KFCs and season 2 of Daredevil on Netflix

Yeah, I've known the GMC was closing for a while now and yes, I've gotten everything off the site that I needed to, but I'm not the only member here whose life stopped just because YYG couldn't decide when to close the site properly. People have being going about their business, two months worth of business, yeah the GMC is getting archived, but our PMs (where most of the GMC's actual important stuff is done) is getting deleted. It would be nice to give our members a little time to recover what they need for the last two months of the GMC, wouldn't you agree?

Professor Kayge says: "Play Project Jin! I'm sure it's been released by whatever year you're reading this in!"

#20 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:55 PM

(snip) ...but I'm not the only member here whose life stopped just because YYG couldn't decide when to close the site properly.

Actually, you may be the only member here whose life stopped over this.  :whistle:  Wait... is this really what you mean?

teasing...  I don't rely on the GMC PM system for important business, but I understand your concern.  Hopefully you and your students can get your correspondence backed up over the next few days.

#21 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 4048 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:01 PM

(snip) ...but I'm not the only member here whose life stopped just because YYG couldn't decide when to close the site properly.

Actually, you may be the only member here whose life stopped over this.  :whistle:  Wait... is this really what you mean?

I know what I said! YYG declared they were closing the forums, I was so deeply shocked that all I've been able to do since then (and several months before then) is procrastinate!

I demand that YYG take responsibility for my laziness!

#22 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:02 PM

Oh Rusty, you've become quite the moaner... :P You've had two months since this was announced, and if that's not enough then I'm sorry, but get over it. If you could back up 6 years worth of stuff in two months (you've been a member since 2010) then I'm sure you'll able to back up 2 months worth of work in a couple of days.

As for your "just because YYG couldn't decide" comment, that's crap as it is inferring that this is an arbitrary decision that could have been taken at any time, when it's not. When the original announcement was made the intention was to close here about two weeks afterwards, but due to security flaws that were found in the new setup - which YYG have been dealing with and have ensured that everything is tight and safe before the change - then it couldn't happen. That has all been resolved, and although there are a few final checks to be done, it looks like all is good and the move will begin next week. So, it's not that YYG couldn't decide, it's that YYG DID decide, and that they decided that the future security of the new forums was of more importance than meeting an initial deadline. You should be happy about this, especially as it gave you a load of extra weeks to back everything up instead of the initially planned two weeks.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#23 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:08 PM

YYG declared they were closing the forums, I was so deeply shocked that all I've been able to do since then (and several months before then) is procrastinate!

I demand that YYG take responsibility for my laziness!

They accept responsibility.  That's why they hired Shaun as official scapegoat Community Manager. 

If that fails, they can blame Sandy.

#24 RujiK

RujiK

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:08 PM

...But what about ruining icuurd12b42's perfect 18,000 posts by taking too long?! What a travesty for all of those with OCD.

#25 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 4048 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:09 PM

(you've been a member since 20120)

And I've been sent back nearly 19,000 years from the future to correct your ways.

Look, I really don't care how high and mighty you want to get with me here, I'm a nuisance, I've accepted myself and learnt to love me for who I am. I don't care how small your little mistakes are, when I see them I'm going to let you know about it. I think this is a mistake, it's not as big as the last one but I still think it's a mistake, that's just my opinion though so I'm not really pushing it here.

The GMC upgrade is a big deal on your side, I get that, it's not just a decision that you're pulling out of a hat. I'm not complaining about that (for a start I have no idea what's actually going on back there), I'm saying that you can still handle the community here better. Again, not a big deal, but still room for improvement.

PS.
Please don't try to pose YYG announcing the wrong date as YYG giving us two months worth of notice. That's just not going to work no matter which way you want to look at it really.

#26 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:24 PM

Rusty calm down.... the security issue came from the communities desire to keep the GMC in an archived state. If this wasn't being done, it would have been a simple matter to flatten the machine and install the new forum.

It took a while to get the security issue resolved, and to get 2 totally separate domains being served from the same machine. Yes, it took longer than it should have, but we don't have a big IT staff, and they had other work to do as well.

They delay hasn't been the end of he world, everyone knew it was coming, so please stop trolling - no matter how much entertainment it's giving you! :)

#27 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 4048 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:33 PM

They delay hasn't been the end of he world, everyone knew it was coming, so please stop trolling - no matter how much entertainment it's giving you! :)

I think it's kinda funny how quick you guys are to paint me as the villain here for the smallest thing, especially after I spent most of the Sandbox Termination topic defending YYG's decision there.

Look guys, I'm not saying you're doing a bad job with the website, I respect that it has problems and that you're working on fixing them. I'm just saying that maybe a little more warning might have been nice here.

I've been around long enough now for you guys to know how this works and I've been on your side more often than not over the years (the removal of the light theme and this are literally the only examples I can remember were I've actually disagreed with YYG) because for the most part, you've done everything right (in my opinion anyway). Don't give me anything to moan about and I'll quietly sink back into the Off-Topic forum where I belong and get back to trolling feminists there instead.

Edit:
Oh, and working. I might try that sometime too.

Edited by Rusty, 25 March 2016 - 05:38 PM.

#28 Lawsome

Lawsome

Not Lukasmah

• GMC Member
  • 271 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:57 PM

@Rusty: What actually /is/ your job? Why does the GMC shutdown disrupt it so much? Just curious, because I've never seen anyone have such a big stake in the GMC.

ahahahha theyll never catch mee

#29 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 4048 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:09 PM

@Rusty: What actually /is/ your job? Why does the GMC shutdown disrupt it so much? Just curious, because I've never seen anyone have such a big stake in the GMC.

I'm still primarily a (poor and hungry) pixel artist. I occasionally get a contract from hanging around here but that's more a work following me home kind of deal, I find most of my clientèle elsewhere.

I also occasionally pick up chicks people wanting to learn GML here (mostly through the Q&A forums) but most of that is done through Skype anyway.

To conclude, I don't have a particularly big stake in the GMC and I'm not personally bothered by the three days of notice difference between March 29th and April 1st. I just agree with Alice that is isn't really the ideal scenario here.

Edited by Rusty, 25 March 2016 - 06:09 PM.

#30 djk164

djk164

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 301 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:17 PM

Any rough estimate for how long it will take to get the new forums up? (2 weeks?)

Bye old GMC!

#31 Gynganynja

Gynganynja

The Clickable Name

• GMC Member
  • 564 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:37 PM

It's been two months since the upgrade was announced. If you've gone and kept more data on here without backing it up, and knowing it will be lost, then that is your fault. And if two months wasn't enough for you to back up everything previous, then that is also your fault.

@djk164  I think they had an estimate in the other topic regarding the upgrade.

#32 randomdude90

randomdude90

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:44 AM

Will the upgraded forums still be hosted at this domain (gmc.yoyogames.com)? Or will the current (Soon-to-be archived forums) be hosted at this domain? Will they both be on the domain with a category for archived forums? 

Visit my website and view all of my projects at: https://www.chrisburgess.us

or find me on the Gamemaker Marketplace at:https://marketplace....9/chris-burgess

#33 11clock

11clock

Mech. Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2735 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 01:07 AM

So, another 2 months? Got it.

qNDVrhl.png

#34 Hiznopellagio

Hiznopellagio

Carpe Noctem

• GMC Member
  • 860 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 01:41 AM

Can't help but be excited about this! Can't wait to see the new forum, and claim that nice 2 digit user number! (Yeah, I just declared a war here, race's on.)

Also, this'll be my last active post here. Rounding it up in 860. Once again, see you guys on the other side.

xgzQT2A.png

#35 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 02:46 AM

2016, right?

#36 Greenhawk

Greenhawk

Gue Games

• GMC Member
  • 722 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 04:03 AM

Alright Alright Alright...I....I..guess this is it...I...I..didn't even have time to say goodbye :D. Can't wait for the new change.

Games Made:

Youtube Channels:

One of the many GMC Gurus.

#37 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 04:18 AM

Alright Alright Alright...I....I..guess this is it...I...I..didn't even have time to say goodbye :D. Can't wait for the new change.

You, in fact, have time to say goodbye.

#38 Anamik

Anamik

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 43 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:00 AM

That's really nice to hear! I am looking forward to the new GMC forum. :) I wonder how it will look like. :rolleyes:

#39 Xer0botXer0

Xer0botXer0

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 770 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:19 AM

Oh the drama.

//=====================

Good bye, Farewell GMC! :D

See you all in the next TIER!

======================\\

#40 lolslayer

lolslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 242 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:21 PM

Will the post count traverse to the new forums? People with over 10000 posts will lose some of their grace if it doesn't xD

#41 Ninety

Ninety

I just want to see if the mods will waive the character limit.

• GMC Member
  • 846 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 26 March 2016 - 02:18 PM

No, you have to create a new account.

A level playing field... Imagine. I might briefly have more rep than Nocturne...

ka0eZdt.png
twitter | soundcloud | gmcomicified | ask.fm | homestead | itch.io | TIGsource

goodnight, sweet prince

#42 jimthegreat1012

jimthegreat1012

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 04:04 PM

Finally. Hopefully they'll show off GMS2.0 when they launch the new forum, too. :)

#43 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1372 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 04:43 PM

Meanwhile at Yoyogames

Spoiler

cooltext680386545.png
The YYGF subreddit: /r/YYGF

#44 Greenhawk

Greenhawk

Gue Games

• GMC Member
  • 722 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:26 PM

Finally. Hopefully they'll show off GMS2.0 when they launch the new forum, too. :)

*Get's shot by mike*

Games Made:

Youtube Channels:

One of the many GMC Gurus.

#45 JeffJ

JeffJ

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 527 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:07 PM

I'm not sure what YYG ended up deciding - will all of this GMC data be archived for future reading? And if so, will it include profiles and such, or simply just topics and posts?

spoileralertsignature.png     jefftwittersignature.png

#46 Tirous

Tirous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 640 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:24 PM

Its the end of the world as we know it!

and i feel fiiiiiiiiiiiiiine! ...

... kinda

... dont f*ck this up yoyo >=/

#47 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:41 PM

I'm not sure what YYG ended up deciding - will all of this GMC data be archived for future reading? And if so, will it include profiles and such, or simply just topics and posts?

The impression I got was the GMC would remain, their would be no usable accounts.

Think of it as only being able to use the forums as a Guest. If ths is the case than I guess the priveleges of the guest account would need to be expanded to include:

• Search
  • Viewing profiles
  • Seeing all forums
  • Probably more

Personally, I think it's a mistake.

Eventually, exploits are going to be discovered for the current IPB forums. Are they going to keep a read-only GMC archive current and patched? Cripes, they've been exploited a couple times now with a "maintained" GMC. How much resources do they want to devote to an archive.

Failing to maintain the GMC archive does not just expose the old GMC and it's accounts. It exposes everything that is shared on the same machine, this suggests the new forums, database, and accounts associated with them.

Instead of reducing the potential target footprint, they're expanding it unnecessarily,

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#48 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:59 PM

The GMC will set into a read only mode, all email and passwords (and twitter auth keys) will be nuked - so no one will be able to login (except a couple of Admins in order to put forwarding posts into topics), and even if its somehow hacked, there will be nothing to actually get. 

We will look to try and nuke PMs as well, as they will be redundant as no one can login.

Since it will still be on the same machine, it'll still get the same protection as the new forum - so will still be better protected than it is now.

#49 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:52 PM

, and even if its somehow hacked, there will be nothing to actually get. 

Shawn said something very similar, in the other thread..

And this isn't what I'm talking about. You and he, keep looking at hacking the GMC, as only a mechanism to getting GMC data. That's not how it works. When machines are rooted, almost always an unrelated vulnerable subsystem is exploited. From there a shell is obtained, or privileges escalated and then other areas affected.

But you guys have made your decision. No problem.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#50 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:19 PM

Are any boards besides Off Topic going to become visible?

AczgxAZ.png

^kept in my sig for historical purposes^