#1 Jedemy

Jedemy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 22 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:27 AM

Hello folks,

i would like to get your opinion. I have released my game last year August 14 on Steam Platform PC/Mac/Linux. Since GMS is great about giving us option to export to almost all possible platforms with some little changes. I try to use this possibility to export the game to every possible platform.

While game is a paid application on PC and it's really hard to get people attention on a paid app(Android & IOS) , what would be the best way to approach this? If i make the game for free with ADs , it's will be unfair to other users. If i make it paid , why people should even bother while they can get other Apps for free.

Let me know what you think.

#2 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:31 AM

This is no doubt a really great question. Strangely enough, thinking about this ethically might help you decide. If you release it free and without adds, you'd be making the most selfless decision of the three (at the price of upsetting computer users). If you release it free and with adds, you are subjecting the audience to advertisements for things that you yourself might not agree with (and maybe some ads that you do agree with). If you had it paid, less people would buy it sure, but the audience gets the experience you intend for them. I would personally go with "completely give it away for free," or "sell it," depending on how badly I need the money. 

After all, you probably make games because you understand the joy they can bring. What is more joyful than a game that is free and without advertising? Does being subjected to advertisements cause the player any joy? I've made all my games freeware because I do this as a way to give back to the world, and because I find it to be a fun hobby.

Edited by Otyugra, 24 March 2016 - 12:33 AM.

r7sNbRa.png  (Nitemare38 = Otyugra)

Two and a half years of game development taught me the joy of making something unique and unconventional. It is not good enough to make a game fun when there are way too many other freeware games that make fun their selling point.

#3 morendral

morendral

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:41 AM

The most profitable model for the android market is free with micro transactions for stuff in game

#4 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 03:30 PM

The most profitable model for the android market is free with micro transactions for stuff in game

That can be very hit or miss.

Also, much of the revenue will come from people with addiction problems, so be careful not to take advantage of that type of people.

Edited by Otyugra, 26 March 2016 - 03:31 PM.

r7sNbRa.png  (Nitemare38 = Otyugra)

Two and a half years of game development taught me the joy of making something unique and unconventional. It is not good enough to make a game fun when there are way too many other freeware games that make fun their selling point.