Photo

To GMS not to GMS. That is the question.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Frouboy

Frouboy

GMC Member

• 17 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:07 PM

My buddies and I, with a combined 75 years commercial development experience, have created a games development collective. We've spent a number of months evaluating the 2d games engines on the market and have identified 3 products the we all like and would be prepared to use as our core development package. Our order of preference is 1) GMS, 2) Defold and 3) Godot. The advantage of 2 and 3 is they've now become mature and stable and have a clear roadmap. They're also both free! and yes that is a serious consideration for an artisan studio.
GMS despite being clunky (not a great gui) has a great language however our main concern is the total lack of information about where this product will in 12months time. Despite the web site refresh there doesn't appear to be anything 'big' on the horizon.
Is there anything that can be said to make me feel that GMS has a roadmap?

Don't give the the old, "can't tell you cause we're part of a listed company" cause so is Defold and they can give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Haven't mentioned v2 cause this will only get 'closed'. Ooops made a mistake, I've gone and mentioned it.

#2 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:35 PM

Defold... King, the poison of mobile gaming owns that... So that's a no on principle.

GoDot is weird to me. I've used it, and I can't say I'm a fan. It's still pretty early in development as far as I know too.

Of course, this is a GameMaker forum, so most people will tell you to use GM, I know I'm going to.

Use GM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#3 Mike.K

Mike.K

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:41 PM

This is the first time i heard of Defold. I'm a bit surprised that King releases an 2D engine for free.
I mean they are giving other developers a head start at competing on their own market.

A bit offtopic sorry...

Edited by Mike.K, 22 March 2016 - 02:42 PM.

#4 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 04:22 PM

Is there anything that can be said to make me feel that GMS has a roadmap?

Don't give the the old, "can't tell you cause we're part of a listed company"...

Why would you expect members of this community to have more information than YoYo Games is willing to release?