5 replies to this topic

#1 djk164

djk164

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 301 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 22 March 2016 - 01:07 AM

After around 2 weeks of constant work, I am finally confident enough to release this as an alpha!

• Title: GameMaker:Studio Branching Dialogue System
  • Description: A set of scripts to help simplify the networking process.
  • GM Version: GMS
  • Dialogue v1 ZIP: (2.9mb)DialogueGMS_Fv1
  • Dialogue v1 EXE+GMZ: (2.9mb)DialogueGMS_Fv1  (22kb)DialogueExample
  • Required Extension: none
  • Required DLL: none
  • Tags: Framework, GM:S, Scripts, Dialogue, Branching
  • Manual(9 Pages): https://www.dropbox....anual.docx?dl=0

I highly recommend skimming over the manual before trying anything!

This program, paired with the example, is supposed to make branching dialogue systems easy to make in Game Maker Studio. Most help that people have given on the forums is a “do it yourself” with a couple of links to things they thought might be useful. While there are some branching dialogue systems floating around there for Game Maker Studio, none of them were satisfactory for my tastes. It would be really hard for a novice to easily obtain/make a branching dialogue system. It would also take a considerable amount of time for anyone else, who wanted to easily make a branching dialogue system, to create one. This project can be both used by novices and advanced users.

This project is still in its very early stages of development. With that, come lots of bugs and problems. With only around 2 weeks of development (as of writing this), I do not feel like a full release would be the right choice.

I want this to be a community project, where people can help me by submitting errors, and bugs. I will also be releasing the source code to this, so if you want, you are allowed to look through it, and suggest improvements. The code is in no way organized to be the most readable or acceptable at this time. I will be improving that as the project moves forward.

Screen Shots!
Spoiler

Edited by djk164, 22 March 2016 - 01:13 AM.

Bye old GMC!

#2 gadgetmawombo

gadgetmawombo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 330 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:16 PM

Looks like a good start! I'm excited to see where this project goes!

Merv%20combo_zpsklyiqgwb.gif

39134.png

#3 djk164

djk164

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:29 PM

Looks like a good start! I'm excited to see where this project goes!

Thanks! There are still some awful bugs that are still in the system. I hope to iron them out, and then create a comprehensive tutorial and mini-game with it

Bye old GMC!

#4 djk164

djk164

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:53 PM

Update! After a while of bug smashing, I (think) it is fully operational! As of now, I do not know of any combination (of Nodes) that do not work!

I have also added an "in-game" tester, so you do not have to export, and then spend the time to add it to the example

Download EXE:     (3.1mb) DialogueGMS_Fv1.1
Download Source: (703kb) DialogueGMS_Fv1.1

Hopefully I will get a "mini-game" out there that uses this!

Bye old GMC!

#5 wadaltmon

wadaltmon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:56 AM

Just tried it out. A little hard to get the hang of at first but once I figured out what each block did, it was fairly easy to use. It's possible to tell it's not finished, but until it is, I'll be looking out for the newest versions. Seems like something that would be right up the alley of my newest project! Nice job so far!

Fairtime

Subscribe to my YouTube page if you're interested in my game stuff (updates on my Game Maker games, as well as other video game related stuff): https://www.youtube....PQ8b69cFOinTKYg

Also head to the Fairtime Interactive website for special updates: http://fairtimeia.webs.com

#6 djk164

djk164

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 02:22 PM

Just tried it out. A little hard to get the hang of at first but once I figured out what each block did, it was fairly easy to use. It's possible to tell it's not finished, but until it is, I'll be looking out for the newest versions. Seems like something that would be right up the alley of my newest project! Nice job so far!

I am still open to suggestions! If you have any ideas on how to improve it, please tell me!

Bye old GMC!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: desktop, rpg