7 replies to this topic

#1 danzibr

danzibr

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 64 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:48 AM

I finished the demo of my first game!  (Well, I took a course on Udemy, but this one's my creation.)

Here's the link (updated again, v7!): https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

The title is pretty telling.  You run around and slay slimes.  Any feedback, whether about the control or difficulty or (especially) glitches, is appreciated.

Screenshot%202016-03-20%2019.52.43_zpstx

Edited by danzibr, 25 March 2016 - 02:20 AM.

#2 danzibr

danzibr

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:00 AM

Updated!  Save feature is fully functional (what a mess that was), should run smoothly now.

#3 danzibr

danzibr

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 02:22 AM

Updated again!  Found 2 minor bugs, fixed it.  This is likely the last version I'll put up for a long while, until I add a considerable amount of new content, should make it ~150% as long.

Also, since I haven't gotten any responses, I'll probably let the thread die, assuming I continue with no responses.  Still, if anyone has played it, I appreciate it.

#4 Durge

Durge

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 44 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:57 AM

Alright, I played through a bit of the game. I've been playing video games my entire life, for years and years and years. I'm a bit of a game maker here myself, and I'm an image manipulator, so hopefully my feedback will be of use to you. Here are my thoughts:

Spoiler

Edited by Durge, 25 March 2016 - 10:58 AM.

#5 danzibr

danzibr

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:48 AM

Thanks a lot for the feedback!  It was all very helpful.  I'll take these to heart.  I would like to comment on a few.

For all the positive... I have nothing to say but thanks :)

For the constructive, I am indeed working on the save system.  Right now the game makes a checkpoint every time a room is entered or exited.  I somehow need to figure out how to make checkpoints only at certain points.  I'm not sure how to code this (working on it!).  And then this is what I'll use for the continue button at the beginning.

For the text... hmm, maybe I could make it a dark blue instead.  Or just blue.  I have no blue background, so there would be no clashing.  I could also make it a hair bigger.  And timing, yeah, I'll have to give it a run through or two and pay close attention to timing, maybe make it display a second more or half a second less.

I use that code for a few things, the depth = -y bit.  A few things I wanted to always be in front of the character, a few things always behind.  Yeah, checking my corn, its depth is just -9999.  Maybe I'll change this.  I think I did this so that the slimes hide behind it :P

Ahh, the death scene.  Yeah, that could use work.  Yeah, I already have something in mind. 

Good catch with the shades while dashing!  I'll fix that.

Oooh, that next one is disconcerting.  Glitched through the tree, eh?  Then slid up?  That's not good at all.  What's worse, I have no idea what would be causing it.  When a room is entered, the x and y coordinates are saved.  When the game is loaded, the old x and y positions are restored.

Unless... the file you're using is called SuperSlimeRevengeDemov7.exe, right?

Sheathing, yeah, I agree.  Unless you're done a speed run or something, you'll probably have your sword out at all times.  Not sure how I feel about the health restoring, but yeah, *something* more can happen. 

I intend to add a third, chargeable attack.  Does the heavy attack just not seem worth it at the moment?  I could up the damage and knockback a little.

Oh, and I have not played Shining Soul II.  I've played Shining Force I and II, and Shining in the Darkness, but not Shining Soul II.  That's now on my to-do list :)

Thanks again!

#6 Durge

Durge

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 44 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:15 AM

-reply-

Hey, I'm glad my reply could be of use to you. 

Spoiler

Edited by Durge, 26 March 2016 - 09:18 AM.

#7 kelson

kelson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 328 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 06:19 AM

This is really good for your first game. you said you took a udemy course was it by chance Benjamin Anderson's.

One note I have is your game music is overpowering and it covers up a lot of your sound effects.

Keep up the good work.

Posted Image

#8 danzibr

danzibr

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 03:07 AM

Thanks both of you!

@Durge: Advice noted.  I'm making progress.  Hopefully I'll have the (tentative) final version out Tuesday night.  Revamping the dialogue system now.  Going very well, I'm very pleased.  I have 12 things to address before v8 comes out.  Hmm, Tuesday might not happen. 

@kelson: Thanks!  And it was Ben's, yeah.  I actually found the music a bit quiet in places.  I'll have to keep my ear out the next time I give it a full playthrough.