• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ld-airgrafix

ld-airgrafix

GMC Member

• 3 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 20 March 2016 - 11:30 PM

Hi everyone, im in process of design art for my game, its an isometric game (think project zomboid). My question is how should i create the buildings, so when a character is behind a wall, we still see him/her? Do i have to create each wall individually? And assemble a building inside game maker room? Any help is appreciated thanks

#2 JeffJ

JeffJ

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 527 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:25 AM

You could do what you suggested with compiling the building out of several separate pieces.

You could also just make the entire building transparent.

A different approach could be to forget about the building, but simply add an outlign or silhoutte around the player when he's behind a building, where you'd be able to see the outlign, but not the player as such. I've seen isometric games do this and it's quite nice.

Beyond those 3 approaches you could venture into shaderland and see if you could do some nice little trick where a circle is made around the player when he's behind a building that will follow him around, and all parts of the building within that circle would become transparent. Might be more tricky than the other techniques, but would create a very nice effect.

spoileralertsignature.png     jefftwittersignature.png

#3 ld-airgrafix

ld-airgrafix

GMC Member

• 3 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:23 AM

Thanks Jeff. At this point im not sure how to go about this. I definetly dont want to be scrapping hours worth of work just because i decided to go amother way. the other problem is do i have each building as a seperate room or do i make the roof transparent??
Is there a limit to the number of "rooms" we can have per game??? The reason im asking my game has multi story buildings and i would like to be able to enter top levels.
I like the shading the player idea it would save alot of time.
Also if anyone has any links for such tutorials, it would be very appreciated. Thanks

#4 YanBG

YanBG

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 217 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:53 AM

That's how i'm doing it for now: http://gmc.yoyogames...83706&p=4912868

Wall pieces and Roof tiles are objects, so they can get semi-transparent(walls) or invisible(roof) if the player is near, they are placed with code on a grid(doing it manually is a chore), there are some limitations of the design though. As for second floor you can make it a new room, there is no limit.

Latest look: http://media.indiedb...eenshot_1.1.png

Edited by YanBG, 21 March 2016 - 09:55 AM.