#1 BDizzle

BDizzle

GMC Member

• 7 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:45 PM

Dear Game Maker Community,

I would appreciate your help!

My friend and me are making a game right now (surprising right ;-)). It is a Top-Down-Shooter that is set in the 1920s in Chicago. We are in the prototype- phase and not ready to bother anyone with playing it.

But it would be really great, if you could help us find a good style for our game. 

If you have ideas and opinions for our game, please post them.

Thank you :-)

We already have two ideas:

Colored (maybe a bit bland in our opinion)

0be73f18bbd3217bcfa96aac7d5df730.png

Black and White (movie inspired with red as only colour)

c2506a14b55eb0b7b3353f54819febf5.png

#2 Lawsome

Lawsome

Not Lukasmah

• GMC Member
  • 271 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:46 PM

Black and White with red looks nicer IMO.

Also I like your rain.

ahahahha theyll never catch mee

#3 TLH14

TLH14

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:49 PM

Go with the black and white (and red) if you're sticking with a more gritty Noir depiction of the 20s (which, keep in mind, is actually a 40s-50s technique, though the 20s are a common enough setting for it), however, if you're going with a more varied depiction featuring multiple aspects of the roaring 20s, go with "full color" in the sense that you don't purposefully avoid any colors in your game, but do a bit of studying on cinematography and color theory to find which colors you want to emphasize.

#4 Lawsome

Lawsome

Not Lukasmah

• GMC Member
  • 271 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:55 PM

Greying out (but not completely decolouring) that green grass might work too, just reducing the saturation might create the effect you want.

Edited by Lawsome, 20 March 2016 - 09:55 PM.

#5 BDizzle

BDizzle

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:44 PM

Greying out (but not completely decolouring) that green grass might work too, just reducing the saturation might create the effect you want.

I will definitly try that out! And I will post the results.

Concerning the rain effect: It sucks soo much performance but I cant get rid from it :D

Thank you fro answering. You are great!

Go with the black and white (and red) if you're sticking with a more gritty Noir depiction of the 20s (which, keep in mind, is actually a 40s-50s technique, though the 20s are a common enough setting for it), however, if you're going with a more varied depiction featuring multiple aspects of the roaring 20s, go with "full color" in the sense that you don't purposefully avoid any colors in your game, but do a bit of studying on cinematography and color theory to find which colors you want to emphasize.

First of all! I appreciate your affort so much. You seem to have some knowlegde.

My friend and me are going to watch movies made in the 20s and about the 20s and keep your advice in mind. Although I did not complettly understand your last part: Do you mean I should chose some colurs and emphasize these or chose a completly colourfull way cause of the era?

Nevertheless, you are awesome!

#6 TLH14

TLH14

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 11:26 PM

Do you mean I should chose some colurs and emphasize these or chose a completly colourfull way cause of the era?

The former, but you should pick these colors judiciously, based on the feel of your game and the depiction of the 20s you want to aspire to.

Edited by TLH14, 20 March 2016 - 11:27 PM.

#7 Lawsome

Lawsome

Not Lukasmah

• GMC Member
  • 271 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:17 PM

You are great!

You are also great!

#8 xPac7x

xPac7x

Genetix

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:52 PM

Are you applying a filter for the grey scale or entirely doing the art that way? It would be the best of both worlds if you could switch between them. Might be able to incorporate the gray scale into cut scenes?

Please check out Rogue Harvest on Steam: http://store.steampo....com/app/409490

Please also check out my Google Play games: https://play.google....745135653735703

Thanks x1000 for any & all support!  :bunny: 

#9 BDizzle

BDizzle

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:58 PM

Are you applying a filter for the grey scale or entirely doing the art that way? It would be the best of both worlds if you could switch between them. Might be able to incorporate the gray scale into cut scenes?

Hi Dude! 

I am making all black and white art which is pretty ineffcient. Do you have a suggestion how it could be done otherwise?

In general, what do you think? Is black or white too boring? Would you introduce several colors or only red?

Thanks for answering and being so nice :-)

#10 seanMombo

seanMombo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1790 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:03 PM

I'd argue that its a false dichotomy. It doesn't have to be one or the other, but I would agree that the black and white version looks better.

But I say this since the colour's in the first picture aren't very good.

#11 xPac7x

xPac7x

Genetix

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:06 PM

Perhaps a good shader that could be implemented on top of the color graphics to give it the correct black & white effect. Not sure how good that could look compared to drawing the art that way - but it would give you the option to switch between them dynamically. That could be used for story purposes or for game play purposes and in other ways with some creativity.

All that being said - the black/white with red (via Sin City) really is cool and could help the game stand out in it's own way. Choices huh?

Please also check out my Google Play games: https://play.google....745135653735703

#12 BDizzle

BDizzle

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 12:55 AM

I'd argue that its a false dichotomy. It doesn't have to be one or the other, but I would agree that the black and white version looks better.

But I say this since the colour's in the first picture aren't very good.

I agrre to your opinion totally and am working on studying about good color schemes. Thank you for posting. Very kind :)

Perhaps a good shader that could be implemented on top of the color graphics to give it the correct black & white effect. Not sure how good that could look compared to drawing the art that way - but it would give you the option to switch between them dynamically. That could be used for story purposes or for game play purposes and in other ways with some creativity.

All that being said - the black/white with red (via Sin City) really is cool and could help the game stand out in it's own way. Choices huh?

Yeah, the choices kill me ;-)

The lighting I use already has a cool affect but I need to rethink my color scheme. Changing between "styles" is a good idea but so far I am not able to understand shaders that confert the whole game.

Thanks for sticking around :-)

#13 xPac7x

xPac7x

Genetix

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:45 PM

I'm pretty new to Shaders also - but at the same time this one might not be to hard to pull off. Just have to de-saturate all colors on the screen with the exception of reds - and possibly any HUD objects. I'll play around a bit this weekend and see if I can make anything that would work. Game looks good regardless though, keep working on it!

#14 BDizzle

BDizzle

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:31 PM

I'm pretty new to Shaders also - but at the same time this one might not be to hard to pull off. Just have to de-saturate all colors on the screen with the exception of reds - and possibly any HUD objects. I'll play around a bit this weekend and see if I can make anything that would work. Game looks good regardless though, keep working on it!

First of all: Thank you so much that you keep answering me! 
We settled for an art style that is influenced by "The Great Gatsby" with strong contrasts and colors that show the Roaring Twentis but shadows and dark colors as well. 

Your idea about switching the art styles is great nontheless and if you could share your findings about black and white shaders, we would thank you even more.

Thanks for being great :-)

Here is a new picture of the art style of our game that is influenced by the Great Gatsby.

What do you guys think about it? Criticism and opinions are highly appreciated :-)

96b768ba9014ecf86c08a0894285765d.png