• GMC Member
  • 785 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 19 March 2016 - 05:44 AM

dQTxCGF.jpg

http://www.mediafire...Combat Demo.zip

Devlog - https://forums.tigso...p?topic=45102.0

YouTube channel - https://www.youtube....9RHSPWdKrdEwgTw

Having realized I cannot continue work on the 4x mode without disabling the demo sandbox stuff, I am releasing the 'Modulus Combat Demo'  to the public! (much cheering was heard in my head)

The Combat Sandbox mode consist of waves of ships that increase over time attacking a space station you must defend by designing/building ships of your own.  Resources have been disabled - GO NUTS!!11  

I added some control layout help infographics at game start - but you can hit f1 at any time in the battle room to see them again.

WHAT THE DEMO IS - A combat sadbox!

WHAT THE DEMO IS NOT - The full game, (DUH)  Modulus is NOT a defense game.  It is a Space RTS/4x 

Short TLDR for play -

Game is played with KB + M and or Gamepad (including direct ship control mode ala Starsector!)-

A ship needs min of 5 section to be valid (And up to 100 sections) -

You really want an engine on there (unless you really don't like to move)-

You really want at least one sensor/radar on there  (Cant hit what you want see!)-

The game is far from content complete (as you will see from the sparsely populated sections of usable parts and entire classes sitting empty).     

Demo doesn't have ending, will keep spawning ship till you die or something breaks....

I'll add more notes as soon as this migraine fades ;---;

OH YAH Win10 users be sure to DL dx9 runtimes! 

Edited by lordvtp, 20 March 2016 - 08:59 PM.

lord5.png

#2 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 05:54 AM

Neato!

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#3 fel666

fel666

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1883 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:55 AM

It sure looked like great fun but my tiny brain wasnt enough to understand the controls :(

This forum is old and archived, Whatever it is i said up above may no longer reflect my opinion.

GMWolf
GMIterator
RefactorTool
OptimizedDecals

#4 Braffolk

Braffolk

Lumenus Team

• GMC Member
  • 1010 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:48 AM

It's okay I guess.

Spoiler

xOVkpik.png

Custom sprite framework(GML): http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=669935

My main project ^o^ 2Volution GMC | GameJolt

#5 lordvtp

lordvtp

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 785 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:40 PM

Thanks Braffolk! =]

@ fel666 Yah I need to do a better job explaining things (at all).  Frankly this is the kind of thing I am poor at =\

lord5.png

#6 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:58 AM

You have been doing an awesome job with this, dude!

#7 lordvtp

lordvtp

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 785 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:02 AM

::lmao::

Anyone wants to talk about bugs, suggestions (or offering ships/weapon ideas as well) feel free!

lord5.png

#8 lordvtp

lordvtp

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 785 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:05 AM

Forgot I did this editor overview a year back, 90% of this is still valid (the ship repo has been cut as the game style changed from single fleet to multi fleet)  :whistle:

Edited by lordvtp, 20 March 2016 - 08:48 PM.

lord5.png

#9 Outpost

Outpost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:05 AM

wow Im really impressed - I wish I had the coding skill to make something this smoothly-running!

Some weapon suggestions

* Gravity Gun, creates a black hole which sucks everything in

* Wave Gun, creates an expanding wave of damage

* Stun Missile, does no damage but disables the parts it hits

* Tether Gun, locks an enemy in place

.. and Im spent. :P

Good luck!

BANNER_650.png

#10 lordvtp

lordvtp

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 785 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:19 AM

wow Im really impressed - I wish I had the coding skill to make something this smoothly-running!

Some weapon suggestions

* Gravity Gun, creates a black hole which sucks everything in

* Wave Gun, creates an expanding wave of damage

* Stun Missile, does no damage but disables the parts it hits

* Tether Gun, locks an enemy in place

.. and Im spent. :P

Good luck!

I actually have a currently disabled (older) weapon system (the Variable Missile System) that actually covered all of those (the system was  single VLS launcher with your choice of warhead, seeker and engine).  One of the warheads was the 'black hole bomb'  which had a very strong gravity and would suck the ships into nothingness XD. it actually needs a rewrite to work with the current version  (the VMS weapon I axed as why have one variable weapon when I have no shortage of space for dedicated turrets using the same effects).  I had a warhead (that some of the baddies still use) that can root a ship in place for a bit.  I also had/have standard mirv types (spread of 6 warheads from one missile)  to strategic nukes (the ones you see the fighters use are just tactical)  to mirv'd strategic nukes (can you say death's head?) -  a warhead that interrupted a ships targeting systems, and a warhead that spread space mines. I'll get those re-added down the line XD . Oh you might try the fractal weapon gun I think I made that user accessible  -

I had an idea of late of making a HARM missile (https://en.wikipedia...iki/AGM-88_HARM ) type that would be able specifically target enemy radar turrets (as they are individually simulated and can be damaged/knocked out).

Edited by lordvtp, 20 March 2016 - 08:50 PM.

lord5.png

#11 lordvtp

lordvtp

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 785 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:22 PM

Most Recent attempt at a trailer  -

lord5.png

#12 morendral

morendral

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:38 AM

Hey! I thought your game was fun, and I'm impressed at how technically impressive it is. The graphics are great too, and they all fit very well together. I can definitely see how this will work as a sort of Sins of a Solar Empire meets Galactic Civilizations sort of game. At least combat and ship building wise that is. I'm definitely going to check it out when the rest of the Xs of the 4X get published.

Some thoughts:

-Controls for the ships are unintuitive - I don't really see a need to have them this way as a single click can do the same thing. Only games where you can control the direction that a unit faces at its destination (total war) is somethng like that relevant but even then they still have single click destination. Also, see the post from fel666. 

-Ability to select multiple ships - I might have missed something in the controls if there is a way to do this, but if that is the case see above. Controlling multiple units a time is invaluable for a 4X.

Thats all for now. Like I said, looking forward to see how this shapes up

#13 lordvtp

lordvtp

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 785 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:06 PM

Hey! I thought your game was fun, and I'm impressed at how technically impressive it is. The graphics are great too, and they all fit very well together. I can definitely see how this will work as a sort of Sins of a Solar Empire meets Galactic Civilizations sort of game. At least combat and ship building wise that is. I'm definitely going to check it out when the rest of the Xs of the 4X get published.

Some thoughts:

-Controls for the ships are unintuitive - I don't really see a need to have them this way as a single click can do the same thing. Only games where you can control the direction that a unit faces at its destination (total war) is somethng like that relevant but even then they still have single click destination. Also, see the post from fel666. 

-Ability to select multiple ships - I might have missed something in the controls if there is a way to do this, but if that is the case see above. Controlling multiple units a time is invaluable for a 4X.

Thats all for now. Like I said, looking forward to see how this shapes up

Thank you for playing it! :lol:

It's been a long, long slog getting things to this point >__>

Controlling direction does have some impact here (directional radars, facing shields towards enemy,  putting guns in a general direction to save time for that first volley).

That said the controls are still arranged as they were when this was a tablet game design (if you swap a mouse for a finger, it will suddenly all make sense, including the no right click function).  I do need to make additions for this though- 

Multiple ships, like above, like with a finger - You'd just click hold on one ship, then drag the pointer through the other ships you want to also select, commands are not issued till you release the mouse button (different I know, I'll add a traditional drag box style to the list of stuff to do).   

lord5.png

#14 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:48 AM

The control are different and they make sense

click a ship and

1) drag out to where you want it to go to or

2) drag onto an enemy to attack it or

3) drag out to another friendly ship to follow it (I think)

Multi select is click a ship and drag onto another ship. then on another and so on... then perform 1,2 or 3

Edited by icuurd12b42, 25 March 2016 - 07:50 AM.

#15 morendral

morendral

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:52 PM

They make sense to you, but not for your average user. That's your customer and the game would be reviewed poorly if it were published like that. Changing such a fundamental interaction without good reason alienates people. He'said already said that he is changing them so it's a moot point anyway.

#16 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:34 PM

They make sense to you, but not for your average user. That's your customer and the game would be reviewed poorly if it were published like that. Changing such a fundamental interaction without good reason alienates people. He'said already said that he is changing them so it's a moot point anyway.

Yep, the interface was designed for touch devices in mind so it does (need to) diverge from the norm. BUT you have to admit it's a pretty smart way to control the ships nonetheless.

#17 lordvtp

lordvtp

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 785 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:42 PM

I assume he means traditional drag box interaction, and single click move?  Not exactly hard-  Nothing worth arguing about.

lord5.png

#18 morendral

morendral

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 01:47 AM

I assume he means traditional drag box interaction, and single click move?  Not exactly hard-  Nothing worth arguing about.

Yes, on all points.