4 replies to this topic

#1 tserek

tserek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 598 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:52 PM

I'm not sure is this correct topic for this. The idea has been grown in my mind to make a challenge/jam where the people release intros or demos, anything goes basically. Intro/demo is basically a compilation of different kind of "effects" and chained "events" which you like to show to the audience, just to show what kind of stuff you can create with GameMaker. Usually the product has also some kind of scrolling and waving text for random thoughts and greetings, and a music track. I know here on forums are many people who know much of about GML and it's tricks, maybe some of these like to show skills on an intro/demo?

Edited by tserek, 17 March 2016 - 07:03 PM.

#2 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 17 March 2016 - 07:50 PM

The idea has been grown in my mind to make a challenge/jam where the people release intros or demos, anything goes basically.  (snip)

Depends what you mean by "anything goes".  The Challenges Forum is intended for mini-contests based on a theme or a programming challenge.  Like a game mechanic or a special effect.  Basically, some feature to challenge your imagination and skill.

Just asking people to submit interesting demos isn't really a challenge.  It's just showing off partially completed games, or favorite tricks.  That sort of thing really belongs in Alpha Projects.

So personally, I'd rather see challenges with guidelines.  It doesn't have to be too strict or narrow.  It can still be fairly broad.  But it should have some structure and focus.

#3 tserek

tserek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 598 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:10 PM

Depends what you mean by "anything goes".  The Challenges Forum is intended for mini-contests based on a theme or a programming challenge.  Like a game mechanic or a special effect.  Basically, some feature to challenge your imagination and skill.

With "anything goes" i mean stuff like this:

State Of The Art by Spaceballs - https://www.youtube....h?v=wCc5ZHqwdXY
Vroom cracktro by The Company & Vision Factory - https://www.youtube....h?v=JlXwmw8UY9w
Second Reality demo by Future Crew - https://www.youtube....h?v=rFv7mHTf0nA
Crystal Dream 2 demo by Triton - https://www.youtube....h?v=BLMUfBikxTY

Basically GameMaker is a program to make a game, but in theory you make anything like program with it, like a basic calculator or notepad program. Or you can make a program which which generates a fractal and zoom it forever, or a program which just spins around a 3d cube and rolls a text, then we come to point which is called "intro" or "demo" where the audience just look and enjoy while the program runs. The Intros are normally used for few tricks to be displayed and have one event, demos cane have many chained events. GML has all the resources and rest depends what you like to do with that. So it's best to give a try in a challenges topic?

Edited by tserek, 17 March 2016 - 09:07 PM.

#4 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:02 PM

You're right -- almost anything can be made with GM.   So I'm not discouraging non-game challenges.

I'm just saying that challenges should focus on one particular thing.  Doesn't have to be a game.  It could be an audio or visual effect.  It could be a math challenge.  Or a science demo.  Or an artistic rendering.  But the challenge should focus on one particular theme or feature.

#5 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 3517 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:03 AM

I'm not sure is this correct topic for this. The idea has been grown in my mind to make a challenge/jam where the people release intros or demos, anything goes basically. Intro/demo is basically a compilation of different kind of "effects" and chained "events" which you like to show to the audience, just to show what kind of stuff you can create with GameMaker. Usually the product has also some kind of scrolling and waving text for random thoughts and greetings, and a music track. I know here on forums are many people who know much of about GML and it's tricks, maybe some of these like to show skills on an intro/demo?

I love the idea.