Photo

How can I export my game to Mac and Ubuntu with GM8?

distribution question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jakobovergaard

jakobovergaard

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 30 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:59 AM

Hi all! ^_^

I've been using GM:S for a little while now but I am developing a game where GM8 is better for the purpose! So here's my dilemma:

1. Should I compromise on the process of the creation, thus gaining easier access to different platforms by using GM:S instead of GM8? or
  2. Should I go for the best developing experience, thus having a harder time exporting to different platforms by using GM8 instead of GM:S?

In other words:

• I want to continue using GM8 for finishing my game because that's the version it's built in, still...
  • I want to export games for Windows, Mac and Linux/Ubuntu using GM8. How can this be done?

Please... :wacko:

Edited by jakobovergaard, 20 March 2016 - 06:36 PM.

Urban Pirate - turn based crime sim (beta demo out for Windows platforms)

www.urbanpirate.babyduka.com

babyduka.com

#2 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 16 March 2016 - 01:24 AM

(snip)...thus gaining easier access to different platforms by using GM:S instead of GM8?

"Easier" with Studio, instead of GM8?  It's not possible with GM8, so how can you even make the comparison?

Either way, you're manufacturing a false dilemma here.  Do both -- i.e., finish your game with GM8, and release it on Windows.  Then import it into Studio, and make whatever changes are necessary to release it on other platforms.

What other choice do you have?

#3 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:58 PM

From my experiences, you can run GM8 games just fine on Ubuntu as long as you don't use alpha transparency or dynamic blending - doing either of those causes the game to crash. Then again, Ubuntu is a Linux distribution, and users can install or not install any components of their liking, so the result may vary. (The computer I tested on was provided by my school, and had Wine installed, so I don't know if that helped. AFAIK it ran Ubuntu 12)

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#4 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:46 PM

I am siding with Chance, I would totally convert the game on Studio asap though, and you would be able to output it to many platforms and even your window built would actually be "better".

Edited by RangerX, 17 March 2016 - 08:46 PM.

----------------------------------------- Always need testers! -------------------------------------------------------

The Life Ruby (Metroidvania platformer / Skills platformer)

(alpha section)

http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=658670&hl=

#5 Coded Games

Coded Games

Coding Games

• GMC Member
  • 678 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 05:46 AM

If you want to export to anything other than Windows get your game running in GMS as soon as possible. It will be easier to get a smaller game running in it than it would be a completed product.

5fp16p.jpg 14wtuh.jpg 33zd4q8.jpg 2drb2g2.jpg

#6 seanMombo

seanMombo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1790 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:09 AM

Also GM8 is losing compatibility with most current OS. You're better off just using Studio

#7 jakobovergaard

jakobovergaard

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 30 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:38 PM

Ok I get it. Thanks. Didn't mean to manufacture a false dilemma.

Urban Pirate - turn based crime sim (beta demo out for Windows platforms)

www.urbanpirate.babyduka.com

babyduka.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: distribution, question