• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ugriffin

• GMC Elder
  • 1591 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 15 March 2016 - 05:00 PM

Hey everyone,

So, as part of a final university assignment for this unit I decided to take on, I've decided to do some research (of the academic, sciencey type!) of the kind of contribution our community has made to the bigger indie games scene that exists in this day. Specifically, I'm looking at the time period of 2003 - 2010 when Game Maker was still largely written by Mark Overmars and selling your game on the App Store still wasn't really a possibility for any of us.

I'm also sort of hoping to build a short 'history of Game Maker' of the period since there's not really a centralised repository of this out there and I consider it a loss that the collective output of this community is slowly fading away.

I am documenting all my findings, musings, and ramblings on this blog.

I kind of need some help though. There's not really a lot of existing research into Game Maker per se, which means that I need to do my own research, and this means diving through pages and pages of outdated Gamasutra articles and old GMC posts for nuggets of information that might help me. I was hoping to tap into the collective knowledge of this community, stuff like:

• Links to any cool articles about Game Maker (from the time period of course), especially if it's some sort of academic article.

• Links to any Game Maker games you consider influential (even if they only influenced you! Obscure GM games are very welcome).

• Links to any archives of Game Maker magazines, Game Maker blogs, anything that sort of documents the time period. For example Markup Magazine, Game Maker Blog.

• Would you consider that Game Maker has influenced the modern indie game development scene? Any links to articles/games/etc that prove this are very welcome.

Also, I was wondering if you could post in here a short outline of when/why you joined up, games that you made, games that inspired/influenced you, any sort of 'personal story' of your time in the GMC, and what you do now. For example, my outline:

I realise this is probably a weird request but I am hoping that everyone can pitch in with their knowledge and hopefully the community can benefit by having all those cool stories preserved, once I write down all my research in that blog.

Thanks a lot! :)

#2 djk164

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 301 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:46 PM

This is awesome! I can't wait to read the rest of the blog when it comes out!

Bye old GMC!

#3 eulerlobo

GMC Member

• 4 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:14 PM

Nice coincidence. xD
I was doing a similar thing, for my final work in my college. I was making a few paragraphs about the GameMaker history.
Maybe the way that I used to find old information can help, in the Google restrict the search for a custom time range, helped me a lot.
I don't know if this will help you, but, there is some links that can be useful.
Other links:

#4 benoit.rouleau

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1637 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:33 PM

You probably know about this already, but: https://web.archive....://gamemaker.nl

In particular this page looks like it could be useful to you: https://web.archive....r.nl/facts.html

#5 NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:36 AM

RekNepZ has created two topics that contain interesting, odd and obscure trivia and facts about GameMaker and or the GMC.

GMC Stats, History, and Stories

Happy 15th birthday Game Maker!

Within the 15th Birthday Topic is a GM Quiz I created that contains more odd, interesting and obscure trivia.

GM Quiz

Perhaps some of the items in those topics can help you with your research.

Edited by NakedPaulToast, 16 March 2016 - 05:44 AM.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#6 GameGoblin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4325 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:21 AM

RekNepZ has also done this:

#7 Colonello

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:52 AM

Although I don't have any links to share I am very excited for this! I used GameMaker a lot as a kid but had very little of an idea what I was doing so it'll be interesting to read up on it's history.