5 replies to this topic

#1 Mr.Chippy

Mr.Chippy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 31 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:38 PM

Game Making is still a hobbie for me and I don't want to get GM:S professional Yet.  I would like to know if you opened a game and saw the splash screen would you care?  Would it make the game feel less like a "real" game to you?  Would you buy a game that had the splash screen?  

I'm a 130 year old high functioning muffin. >:3 - Evil Kawi Face

#2 Zuurix

Zuurix

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:49 PM

Yes, it would make game feel less real. But I wouldn't close game instantly =P

If the game would be good, I'd forgive splash screen.

But you should probably get rid of it, if you want to sell the game.

Edited by Zuurix, 14 March 2016 - 05:49 PM.

1g6wSTF.png

#3 randomdude90

randomdude90

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:57 PM

It's usually not a make or break. Look at games made with Unreal. Let's take Rocket League for example. When the game starts up, it shows a "Made with Unreal Engine" badge. Same thing for Killing Floor. Or let's jump to a different platform, games made with Unity typically show the splash screen too. Yet it doesn't make or break the game. It's just there to display information. If your game is good quality, then it is most certainly not a breaking point.

Visit my website and view all of my projects at: https://www.chrisburgess.us

or find me on the Gamemaker Marketplace at:https://marketplace....9/chris-burgess

#4 Funkey

Funkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:07 PM

If the game is appealing enough to look at in the screenshots and it sounds alright, I'll look past the Gamemaker splash logo at the start of the game and try the game out. Some people may be deterred from playing your game, but I personally wouldn't if it looked of quality.

I'm up for a chat if you want to bounce any ideas about anything game related. Feel free to add me.

Big Smoke: Same things make us laugh, make us cry.

#5 Neon Jackal

Neon Jackal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:57 AM

Unfortunately, Game Maker still isn't taken completely seriously. It doesn't help that any of the more successful games made in it don't give any indication that they were made in GM at all. I'm conflicted, I'm not sure if I'd put in a splash screen myself, but I feel like I'd have to mention it somewhere.

#6 Zuurix

Zuurix

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:45 AM

It doesn't help that GameMaker splash screen looks poor either. If they made nice, solid intro animation, I'm sure at least some people would keep it. Me, for example. I'd keep it, because I feel grateful for GameMaker, but that splash screen just looks unprofessional.

Right now splash screen is nothing but a punishment for using free version.

I'd say it's pretty stupid use of product's logo =P

1g6wSTF.png