#1 theonlysnowflake

theonlysnowflake

GMC Member

• 4 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:05 AM

Website
Game Download

I will upload pictures and a direct download here as soon as I figure out how...

Agitated is a game I made for a school project and will submit for a game competition. I am working on it aggressively and will update it constantly. My website is not updated that often, so do not judge my work ethic on the latest blog post. Trust me, I know what I am doing (I really don't but let's pretend for arguments sake).

The basics of the game is get-all-the-objects-in-the-room-and-advance; your basic platformer. The catch: there's pitfalls, moving walls, and hidden rooms that you cannot advance until you find them all. Imagine, running through a room looking for only one more object and not being able to advance. 

I am posting this game out here to see what needs improvement, what needs more development, what I should add more off, what I should take out; basically any aspect of the game. I hope to publish this to both Steam and Google Play (and maybe iOS but that's a lot of Moolah soooooo...). Before that happens, I want to make this the best game. If you have any comments, from "Level 3 is too hard" to "make the player move faster" to something as small as "the color scheme sucks", Please let me know. 

Many thanks and have fun. :)

The Only Snowflake
Itch.io

#2 2% Milk

2% Milk

Got Milk

• GMC Member
  • 626 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:38 AM

I do have a few comments!

1) I know the game is called Agitation Agitated, but there are good ways and bad ways to accomplish this. The room shown below is an example of one of the bad ways. Here, the player knows exactly what to do, but it simply takes a long time to do it. In other words, one can very quickly catch on to the fact that they ought to check every ground-level wall in order to see if it is movable, so when the player sees the objects in this room, it's a trivial task to collect them.

eb978be3-3359-4d14-9d9b-afd7d0390ca0_zps

2) On the "value" of the objects: why is the player collecting these? Currently, the only reward for obtaining the objects is to advance to the next room. My advice is to give the player a really strong incentive to collect these. As an example, make the doors normally unreachable (perhaps too high to jump to, or across a chasm that is too long for the player to jump across) and have one of the objects offer the player a higher, longer jump. This changes the game from being a chore (i.e., collect objects, then move on to another level and collect more objects) to one where the player values the objects they pick up.

3) Remember that a very large aspect of a good game is scarcity. At every moment, the player ought to see something in the game that they currently can't have. Then, when new possibilities are introduced in the game, the player will enjoy them more. Further, you may decide to make the players make painful choices, like choosing between a jet pack or a higher jump. Of course, make it so that either choice will allow the player to finish the level, but make every choice show the player what they're missing by choosing! :wink: A good example of this is in the campaign of Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm. In this campaign, each level offers the player a choice between two or three very interesting power-ups. The player locks in this choice, and as they play the next level, they constantly have to wonder if they made the "right" choice. This is true agitation, and I think that your game could benefit greatly from this.

4) Bugs--I noticed a few. The first is that if you press ESC while in a room (or view) other than the one you started in, your splash screen will not show. This leads me to believe that your rooms are very large, and when the player exits the current view, the view shifts to the new portion of the room. I imagine your code looks something like this:

draw_set_alpha(0.5);
draw_rectangle(0,0,view_wview[0],view_hview[0],0);

draw_text('Press Q to quit etc...');

draw_set_alpha(1)

Here, you might consider adding view_xview[0] to each x-argument and view_yview[0] to each y-argument. This will fix it.

Another bug: Blocks can be pushed into other blocks. This is undesirable from the player's standpoint. Also, the player's jumping can sometimes cause the player to get stuck in the corner of an overhead block.

That's about all I have for you. Good work so far! You've gotten the basic mechanics of the game down, and now it's time to introduce some fun mechanics. Brainstorm and see what additions make you enjoy running through the levels and collecting the objects!

- 2% Milk

Edited by 2% Milk, 17 March 2016 - 06:11 AM.

Musician / Electrical Engineer
I love making games.

#3 theonlysnowflake

theonlysnowflake

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:10 PM

I do have a few comments!

1) I know the game is called Agitation Agitated, but there are good ways and bad ways to accomplish this. The room shown below is an example of one of the bad ways. Here, the player knows exactly what to do, but it simply takes a long time to do it. In other words, one can very quickly catch on to the fact that they ought to check every ground-level wall in order to see if it is movable, so when the player sees the objects in this room, it's a trivial task to collect them.

eb978be3-3359-4d14-9d9b-afd7d0390ca0_zps

2) On the "value" of the objects: why is the player collecting these? Currently, the only reward for obtaining the objects is to advance to the next room. My advice is to give the player a really strong incentive to collect these. As an example, make the doors normally unreachable (perhaps too high to jump to, or across a chasm that is too long for the player to jump across) and have one of the objects offer the player a higher, longer jump. This changes the game from being a chore (i.e., collect objects, then move on to another level and collect more objects) to one where the player values the objects they pick up.

3) Remember that a very large aspect of a good game is scarcity. At every moment, the player ought to see something in the game that they currently can't have. Then, when new possibilities are introduced in the game, the player will enjoy them more. Further, you may decide to make the players make painful choices, like choosing between a jet pack or a higher jump. Of course, make it so that either choice will allow the player to finish the level, but make every choice show the player what they're missing by choosing! :wink: A good example of this is in the campaign of Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm. In this campaign, each level offers the player a choice between two or three very interesting power-ups. The player locks in this choice, and as they play the next level, they constantly have to wonder if they made the "right" choice. This is true agitation, and I think that your game could benefit greatly from this.

4) Bugs--I noticed a few. The first is that if you press ESC while in a room (or view) other than the one you started in, your splash screen will not show. This leads me to believe that your rooms are very large, and when the player exits the current view, the view shifts to the new portion of the room. I imagine your code looks something like this:

draw_set_alpha(0.5);
draw_rectangle(0,0,view_wview[0],view_hview[0],0);

draw_text('Press Q to quit etc...');

draw_set_alpha(1)

Here, you might consider adding view_xview[0] to each x-argument and view_yview[0] to each y-argument. This will fix it.

Another bug: Blocks can be pushed into other blocks. This is undesirable from the player's standpoint. Also, the player's jumping can sometimes cause the player to get stuck in the corner of an overhead block.

That's about all I have for you. Good work so far! You've gotten the basic mechanics of the game down, and now it's time to introduce some fun mechanics. Brainstorm and see what additions make you enjoy running through the levels and collecting the objects!

- 2% Milk

Many thanks. I am working on the whole pushing blocks into other blocks. I haven't thought about the variable jump factor or other things like that. I will implement these into it.

The Only Snowflake
Itch.io

#4 SecretMonkey

SecretMonkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:06 PM

hey, i downloaded your game

i got pretty much the same feel as the guy before me, the mechanic of walking into every wall gets tiresome and seems like a task really quickly. The way these puzzleplatformers keep interesting is by introducing a new mechanic every level or so....

furtermore, if you press W on a door when you still have objects left and get the hint screen, that draws on the wrong place in level 2 (?) 

lastly, you designed your levels where there was a way down but no way up again. The level where 2% milk got a screenshot from i got stuck in the bottom part banging into every wall and jumping everywhere to find a kaizo block or something, convinced you had hidden something somewhere... About 2 minutes of solid banging later i pressed R to start over only to find out that you HAD to reset, which is not obvious....

Maybe the game would become less tiresome if you were to bumb up the players speed, make it more fastpaced.

Same goes for the music, its a pretty slow rythem....

please dont take my criticism to harsh, I still enjoyed it

-Secret Monkey

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: desktop, platformer, puzzle, 2d