3 replies to this topic

#1 RujiK

RujiK

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:46 PM

Enemy AI's searching for the player is often a wonky experience. In Skyrim, I once stealth-shot an enemy who then looped round and round the same room searching the corners while I stood just outside the door and shot him again and again until he died. Not very intelligent.

Could we begin a discussion for possible ideas on a somewhat intelligent looking AI search?

Below are two images of possible situations a searcher might encounter. The top is an indoors style and the bottom is a woodsy kind of area.

SearchTest_zpsfe8t78yz.png

SearchTest3_zpsckiqsykv.png

For the life of my I cannot think of a solution that works well in both cases. Honestly, I'm even having trouble on how to get the AI to realize the player has walked into a dead end inside the box. Instead of searching down in the box he may just wander away looking for the player elsewhere. How do you tell an AI something so incredible obvious to humans?

If anyone has any suggestions no matter how outrageous/CPU intensive/semi-broken I would love to hear them. Thanks.

#2 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:59 AM

last known position implies last known direction the player move to. so walk to the last known position and go towards the last known direction...

Edited by icuurd12b42, 12 March 2016 - 01:59 AM.

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#3 RujiK

RujiK

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:54 PM

Hmmm. That would work probably work well in some situations but I can also see some shortcomings.

Here are two possible examples that would be less than ideal:

SearchTest4_zpstupptxhc.png

I do think that would be a good start, but for any complicated situations that would only be the first step. So there is a good idea of the general direction to start searching in, but what about the actual searching part? If there are obstacles or rooms, the "search" part hasn't really even started yet. Only the direction.

But thanks for the idea! But still hoping to get more ideas.

#4 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:44 PM

well if you are hunting and you encounter a door on your left and a door on your right and the corridor also continues, in real life what do you do?

naively decide to go left or right or continue on?

case 1:
what we do is derive from the speed the person walked or could run, figure if he could have reached the end of the corridor by the time we got there, analise what's at the end of the corridor.. a dead end or a better chance to escape onward? that would weigh if I run through the corridor to check out the expanse there or if I check the doors first.

Case 1 and case 2:
if you know you'll have a better view of an open area, you would choose to scan that first then if you find nothing go back to check the doors or the other tighter space. Going to end of the corridor while keeping an eye out to see if the guy does not try to make his escape if he's in the room

case 2:
The dead end would have priority, after I scanned the open space. if your ai knows this is a dead end you have a 100% chance of catching the player if he made the mistake of taking that route. On the other end if your AI always choose this dead end the player would never choose to enter such a place to hide.

Edited by icuurd12b42, 14 March 2016 - 02:46 PM.

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button