13 replies to this topic

#1 Jex718

Jex718

GMC Member

• 8 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:21 AM

12745974_1566349143656174_45583953258032
Hey guys. So my absolute goal in life is to be a successful game developer. I've been working on the idea for this game for around 5 years, and have made a few prototypes. I'm now developing a proper game that I will be releasing for Steam. I'm posting here just to gain awareness and to provide a demo, some information and also a link to my Kickstarter in the hope that people will see what I have created and hopefully decide that it's good enough to warrant funding. 

Some old (but still core elements) of the gameplay:

Much newer demonstration of the gamplay from the level available in the demo:

LINK TO TERRUM MEUM'S KICKSTARTER:
https://www.kickstar...eum/terrum-meum
Please support the devlopment of this project if you like what I've been able to convey so far! There are rewards for donating! Designing games is my true goal in life, and being able to complete Terrum Meum would be an enormous achievement for me, and would provide the means to undertake further projects!

LINK TO MY PAGE ON FACEBOOK: ( if you're interested in checking out further screenshots/development pics)
https://web.facebook...4games/?fref=ts

DOWNLOAD DEMO:
http://www.mediafire...Meum_-_demo.rar

Terrum Meum  

-plot-
Although technologically and mathematically brilliant, Jex suffered tremendously from an abusive home and a school that preferred to punish him for his absences and lack of focus rather than offer aid. Desperate to escape a dull and oppressive life, he devoted his mind to the construction of a magnificent machine. When the capacity for him to tolerate further violence had reached its limit - he made the decision to build it. Scavenging for materials in a nearby junk yard, Jex slowly transformed an abandoned radio shack in Rust Well Reserve into his fabled Existence Factory - a glorious and immensely powerful device capable of altering space-time. Using his creation, Jex fled the universe that had defined his future with cruel and vicious hands into his own world - Terrum Meum. Spawned beyond the time and space of our realm, the Existence Factory upheld the laws of physics and reality within his private dimension. A utopia for creativity, Jex used the Existence Factory to harness an unlimited source of EM energy and create matter within Terrum Meum. Crafting his world to suit his desires, he populated it with beautiful and surreal landscapes. When the hooks of loneliness eventually began to pull at his new-found peace, Jex committed himself to the development of artificially intelligent life. That is all he is capable of remembering. Becoming conscious in the furthest of six total areas orbiting the Existence Factory, The Outer Bounds, Jex is informed by his creation Scientia 7 (an AI drone/caretaker) that a fatal design flaw has resulted in the corruption of hundreds of his sentient creations. Suffering severe head trauma in the process of fleeing the Existence Factory, Jex must rely on Scientia 7 to traverse the universe and travel to its center where the "failures" have taken over the factory. With both the failures and Jex lacking the essential knowledge necessary to maintain the factory and by extent reality itself, the fate of Terrum Meum and everything it contains seems grim as the matter in the world becomes unstable. Recovering small memories over time reveals to Jex a greater and much darker plan than what is originally to be understood, as he and Scientia 7 battle to retake the Existence Factory, and prevent the collapse of the universe.
                        eb391d6fb3b2a7ef82baa4582d9bc512_origina

-gameplay-
Traverse the vastly differing bounds of Terrum Meum, fighting hordes of corrupted creations the "Failures" as Jex with Scientia 7. Along the way, you can collect many and extensive items to aid with your objective. Different kinds of software updates will allow Scientia 7 to perform various tasks such as the ability to store information on everything you encounter in a Codex, and an in-depth craft menu allowing you to assemble up to 900 unique weapons from gun parts you will collect. Scientia 7 will highlight items/enemies/obstacles and important points in game, creating a smooth directional flow in gameplay allowing you to better sense the momentum of the levels, as well as identify targets and goals. He's voiced with 200+ lines of dialogue, commentating on various things you do (for instance: passive aggressive comments when you die and he has to resurrect you). All of the "failure" enemies are fully voiced and randomized - spawning with different hairstyles, skin-tones, abilities and weapons. Using the mouse scroll wheel you can quickly swap between items you are using: for instance you can select Jex's EM-staff (melee), Scientia 7 (allowing you to shield yourself, or fly) or your gun.

You can manipulate, swap and alter your weapons in real time to better suit the enemies you encounter. Through Scientia 7, you are able to fly periodically, shield yourself and use him to attack any opposition. Secret items are hidden laboriously within each area and can be found by completing various tasks for the Sentinels that guard them. The further you progress towards your goals, Jex will occasionally recover memories of the events following his initial creation of the universe, revealing a much darker story than what is to originally be believed. Gain XP to increase both Jex's and Scientia's abilities and capacity for certain things, such as his "battery" (his container for EM energy - the power source that drives all technology in Terrum Meum) allowing you to sustain longer, respawn more and use his abilities more frequently).
          12729155_1570855536538868_15383596756749
          12795488_1573833036241118_32750414106872
          12791119_1573833132907775_57990359170055
          12742029_1567404233550665_76747735539007
          12804729_1570855613205527_33856658247289
          12822057_765037670263757_855794131_n.jpg12743861_1567412216883200_50359888533413
          12802937_1570855619872193_25714135981557
          12804631_1570855646538857_93192357903979

Furthermore, should the project be successfully funded (I really hope it will be), I intend to hire professional voice actors for all of the characters in Terrum Meum. At this stage I've recorded the dialogue myself. Keep in mind the game itself is very new in development. I've worked extremely hard to make this demo as polished as possible, so the first level is actually complete.  I've done my best to test this thoroughly, and have had two other people play through it so I'm confident there shouldn't be any major issues (if any at all). If you do however encounter any problems, please let me know! All feedback would be appreciated. 

If you chose to download the demo, make sure you have WinRar to unzip it. I'd also recommend playing the video on the Kickstarter page as it is actually the introduction movie to the game. I won't be including it in the demo file just to keep the file-size to a minimum. The full game of course will have all of the animated sequences included. 
I'm ruthlessly passionate about designing, and I've been spending roughly 14 hours a day for the past three months working non stop on this game, so if anyone would like to check out the demo, or donate (even $1 would be extraordinarily appreciated) I'd be extremely grateful. 

I hope whoever sees this likes what I've done so far, and sees potential in this as a proper complete game. 
Thanks!

EDIT: formatted and added more screenshots
EDIT: updated demo download link with new demo, fixing two bugs that were found

Edited by Jex718, 11 March 2016 - 09:35 PM.

#2 Mike.K

Mike.K

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 71 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:30 AM

Looks promising. You have obviously put a lot of work into it. Are you the only developer?

#3 Jex718

Jex718

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:35 AM

Thank you! Yes I am, everything has been done painstakingly by me haha.

EDIT: sorry, forgot to quote you. Ignore this comment.

Edited by Jex718, 09 March 2016 - 07:59 PM.

#4 Jex718

Jex718

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:58 PM

Looks promising. You have obviously put a lot of work into it. Are you the only developer?

Thank you! Yes I am, everything has been done painstakingly by me haha.

#5 Mike.K

Mike.K

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:43 PM

One other thing i want to mention. The creepy environments give the game a disturbing atmosphere, i like that.

#6 Jex718

Jex718

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:49 PM

One other thing i want to mention. The creepy environments give the game a disturbing atmosphere, i like that.

Fantastic! That's precisely what I'm going for. In the game, due to it being very story driven, there is quite a sinister "feeling" so to speak. Thank you for your comment!

#7 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:40 PM

Can't test your game now, but from your videos I can see you put a lot of hearth into it, which is the most important thing. Keep it up. Love the style and atmosphere :)

Posted Image
-Click the image for both the download & topic
Visit my homepage [Aquarel Games.tk]

#8 Jex718

Jex718

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:26 PM

Can't test your game now, but from your videos I can see you put a lot of hearth into it, which is the most important thing. Keep it up. Love the style and atmosphere :)

Thank you very much! :)

#9 trg601

trg601

Member of the GMC

• GMC Member
  • 629 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:52 PM

Very cool atmosphere and graphics/music!

The game is a bit confusing though, I can barely understand what the little robot guy is saying half the time.

It took me a bunch of deaths to realize how to attack the monsters also XD

Despite the confusion I have gotten, the game is very cool, good luck with it!

Because of the forum being archived, the above post is probably pretty old and may not reflect my current opinion.
If you want to find some of my games go to: Mutantbrain

#10 Jex718

Jex718

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:48 AM

Very cool atmosphere and graphics/music!

The game is a bit confusing though, I can barely understand what the little robot guy is saying half the time.

It took me a bunch of deaths to realize how to attack the monsters also XD

Despite the confusion I have gotten, the game is very cool, good luck with it!

Thank you for your input :) Yeah I'll be adding subtitles and working to have the controls more intuitive. 

#11 Jex718

Jex718

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 11:33 PM

There's 25 hours to go on the Kickstarter for this project. It seems that I'll have to discontinue this, at least for a long time if not indefinitely as financially I cannot support the development of this game. Thank you everyone for your feedback though :) 

#12 Smack Games

Smack Games

Eliphingo!

• GMC Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 02:14 AM

Hey Jex in my opinion the reason the Kickstarter didn't go well was because the incentives for the goals weren't realistic, at least in my eyes.

For example, $50 dollars gets your name in the credits, wallpaper, and signed concept art which is good, but should also come with a copy of the game.  You made it so that you had to pledge $100 for the previously mentioned rewards and a copy of the game.  In my opinion it isn't worth an extra $50 to get the game after it is already released "it should at least come with beta access."  How much do you plan on releasing this game for?  If its not over $50 The highest tier wouldn't be worth it.

Also, this is all just opinion.  I don't have much experience with Kickstarter but from my understanding this is why it didn't do so well.

Your game looks great so you shouldn't just discontinue it because your Kickstarter didn't do so well.  If I were you I would keep trying and maybe try to get it some more attention before making another Kickstarter.  Maybe dedicate a twitter or Instagram page to it.

Edited by Smack Games, 16 March 2016 - 02:14 AM.

I used to have something here, but now I don't..

#13 Outpost

Outpost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 16 March 2016 - 02:17 PM

Some suggestions

- What is the key mechanic here? What defines this game? Looking at the screenshots there is SO much happening, I can see it's a platformer. But past that I don't know whats going on.

- Think about reducing "noise" in your sprites and background, Your inventory screens look great, very high contrast and clear areas for each bit of info, but actual gameplay is very muddy, it's hard to see whats important, and whats just scenery. NB* This is a massive design area that even big corporations get wrong so don't be surprised if it takes a long time to get right, if at all.

- all the particles and things are great, but remove all of them, then see if the game is still solid and works well mechanically.

BTW I'll 100% a solo developer too and I appreciate just how much work this stuff takes - what you have made is a great achievement well done!

Edited by Outpost, 16 March 2016 - 02:19 PM.

BANNER_650.png

#14 Jex718

Jex718

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:17 AM

Hey Jex in my opinion the reason the Kickstarter didn't go well was because the incentives for the goals weren't realistic, at least in my eyes.

For example, $50 dollars gets your name in the credits, wallpaper, and signed concept art which is good, but should also come with a copy of the game.  You made it so that you had to pledge $100 for the previously mentioned rewards and a copy of the game.  In my opinion it isn't worth an extra $50 to get the game after it is already released "it should at least come with beta access."  How much do you plan on releasing this game for?  If its not over $50 The highest tier wouldn't be worth it.

Also, this is all just opinion.  I don't have much experience with Kickstarter but from my understanding this is why it didn't do so well.

Your game looks great so you shouldn't just discontinue it because your Kickstarter didn't do so well.  If I were you I would keep trying and maybe try to get it some more attention before making another Kickstarter.  Maybe dedicate a twitter or Instagram page to it.

Thanks for your advice! I do completely agree with you however I had multiple people contacting me advising to make the copy of the game earned for higher donations, so I changed the rewards section before people started donating, but yeah - what you've said is logical and I do agree :)

Some suggestions

- What is the key mechanic here? What defines this game? Looking at the screenshots there is SO much happening, I can see it's a platformer. But past that I don't know whats going on.

- Think about reducing "noise" in your sprites and background, Your inventory screens look great, very high contrast and clear areas for each bit of info, but actual gameplay is very muddy, it's hard to see whats important, and whats just scenery. NB* This is a massive design area that even big corporations get wrong so don't be surprised if it takes a long time to get right, if at all.

- all the particles and things are great, but remove all of them, then see if the game is still solid and works well mechanically.

BTW I'll 100% a solo developer too and I appreciate just how much work this stuff takes - what you have made is a great achievement well done!

Thanks I'll definitely take that into consideration if in the future I'm able to continue developing this :) I'm really grateful for your feedback.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2d, desktop, platformer, action, adventure