Photo

Where should I put the GPL header in my game?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1372 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:45 PM

So I have to have something like this to licence at the top of every file in my game to make it explicit that my game is licenced under the GPL. However, I'm not sure whether I should put this notice in each event in my game, just in 1 event, manually put it into each GMX file as an XML comment, or what?
XOR is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.

XOR is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with XOR. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>

Edited by faissialoo, 06 March 2016 - 05:46 PM.

cooltext680386545.png
The YYGF subreddit: /r/YYGF

#2 Alice

Alice

Toolmaker of Bucuresti

• GMC Member
  • 1392 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:49 PM

If I were to incorporate license note directly in GM project, I'd probably do that either in included file or in some script called e.g. "XOR_LICENSE" or something. Then again, I don't know of any common approach to GM projects, so it's probably best to ask around.

I wouldn't really put it in every event or script, though, since putting these everywhere would be too much of a hassle. Then again, if you have a transpiler of sorts, it might not be that much of a pain...?

LShy6C6.png

#3 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1372 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:13 PM

If I were to incorporate license note directly in GM project, I'd probably do that either in included file or in some script called e.g. "XOR_LICENSE" or something. Then again, I don't know of any common approach to GM projects, so it's probably best to ask around.

That's what I was going to do initially but I'd read somewhere that it could be a bit 'vague' legally and it could be argued that the files are not part of what is GPL licenced if were to do without the header.

I wouldn't really put it in every event or script, though, since putting these everywhere would be too much of a hassle. Then again, if you have a transpiler of sorts, it might not be that much of a pain...?

There's no way I'm making another transpiler over this lol. I might think about doing something like that for formal comments PyG-Latin (in case a mod is reading this, this is absolutely not a Game Maker competitor, it has a completely different use case: terminal games) though, could come in handy for a situation like this.

cooltext680386545.png
The YYGF subreddit: /r/YYGF