• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 man_of_pripyat

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 146 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:40 AM

Hi,i'm making a top down game,based on melee combat,very gory with a one hit kill system,i want to know what is the best way to unlock weapons or characters in your opinion,using xp points or reaching some specific stage(for example if i reach stage 5 i unlock a new weapon) or kill a specific boss?

Edited by man_of_pripyat, 06 March 2016 - 02:41 AM.

#2 Zuurix

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 284 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:36 AM

I don't know if it fits your game, but my suggestion is...

Give player choice of multiple stages and each stage should give player something for beating it.

So if player fails to beat stage A, he can try to beat stage B or C.

Beating one of them, will make others easier, because player will get reward, for example a weapon or consumables.

Beating A, unlocks stage D, beating B, unlocks E and C unlocks F.

DEF stages are much harder than ABC, but if you will get all ABC rewards, DEF will be do-able.

Of course stages should be at least slightly different.

To never run out of weapons, make them only viable in few stages or only for special enemies.

This way there won't be the one best weapon, which is good for balance.

I hope this will help.

Edited by Zuurix, 06 March 2016 - 07:37 AM.

#3 Funkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 30 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:03 AM

Perhaps when you kill a certain enemy, you get a certain drop. These drops may be items or the in-game currency ($). Drops can be traded for $ at a marketplace or something, or to be used yourself. Maybe even be able to use a drop to gain its ability or trait to use on other weapons, or to combine two separate drops or objects to make better ones. This would add a lot of depth, and to be honest I would go with that system if it works. Ofcourse the choice is yours though.

I'm up for a chat if you want to bounce any ideas about anything game related. Feel free to add me.

Big Smoke: Same things make us laugh, make us cry.