4 replies to this topic

#1 NazGhuL

NazGhuL

From NazTaiL

• GMC Member
  • 2368 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:55 AM

Hi! I guest I don't have to be shy, english is not my primary language and i'm not sure to clearly understand what is a site-lock version when you sell a html5 game? Primary vs exclusive? Thx for the hint. :)

tag_mtmapo.jpgtag_marketplace.jpgtag_fake_light.jpg

#2 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:29 PM

...what is a site-lock version when you sell a html5 game? Primary vs exclusive?

That's entirely up to you and the publisher.   It depends on the agreement you make with the publisher.   Some publishers prefer branded versions of HTML5 games that only play on their sites (site-locked versions).   And some publishers may require that you sell them exclusive rights to the game, so you can't publish it elsewhere.

Site locked versions are just "branded" to that site.    They usually don't have in-game ads that direct players away from the site. (Instead, the publisher places his own ads on the website that hosts the game.)

But site-locked versions may, or may not be, exclusive versions.  For example, I see many popular casual games that are branded (site-locked) to run on a particular site.  But that same game may also appear on other sites with a different branding -- i.e., tailored to that particular site.  So the license is non-exclusive.

Again, it all depends on what you and the publisher agree on.

#3 NazGhuL

NazGhuL

From NazTaiL

• GMC Member
  • 2368 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:07 PM

Great. Thx.

#4 seanMombo

seanMombo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1790 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:58 PM

Exclusive License - When you sell the game, you no longer own the game. You are selling all the intellectual property.

Primary License - You sell the game to a company, they are allowed to put their ads on the game, and distribute it around the web.

Site-Lock License - You sell the game to a company, they are allowed to put their ads on the game, BUT NOT distribute it around the web.

http://blog.fgl.com/...eb-game-part-1/

heres an article discussing it.

Edited by seanMombo, 03 March 2016 - 04:58 PM.

#5 NazGhuL

NazGhuL

From NazTaiL

• GMC Member
  • 2368 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:20 PM

Good article. Thx.