8 replies to this topic

#1 ShaquitaChicken

ShaquitaChicken

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 25 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:41 AM

Hi guys, my name is Ian and new to GameMaker. Im coming from Unity so im not a noob when it comes to game development and reason why i transitioned to GameMaker is because unity doesn't like pixel art   <_<  

So now im here to start a new foundation of the game and be a part of this active community.

8ccbaebb97458e95b98b95c0e93d9620.png

By the pic you can guess the title is "RAD" ... not really just a placeholder for now

So I wanted to make a game with my favorite mechanics from games like castle crashers, borderlands, super time force, etc...

Mechanics:

You have 4 main characters to pick from (excluding the bonus characters) each with their own set of attributes and unique power

The Assassin can turn invisible. The Sniper can slow time down. The Tank can get a health/damage buff. The Soldier can clone himself (friendly AI).

You gain XP, you level up. Each level you gain 1 skill point (SP) and 1 attribute point (AP). Attributes include: Agility, health and power regeneration (1 AP to an attribute gives you like 5% boost in that field). For SP you have a skill tree kinda set up like far cry 3 where you have defense skills and offense skills.

Story:

Well since its an action platformer the story will be there but im not going to force the player to sit through cut scenes so a swift intro and then action!

An evil man known as Dr Fancy Face (Placeholder) has taken over the world and started playing God by manipulating genes and the 4 main characters were the lab rats of a failed modified gene test. However they were able to wield powers from it and thats where the player starts. You break out of the laboratory you were kept in and start fighting back his army. While fighting back, aliens invade earth so you have a new enemy to fight at the same time they have a bacteria that brings dead corpses back to life so you have zombies to fight later down the road. You must take out the zombie hives queen and then launch into outer-space to destroy the mother-ship and come back to earth to deal with Dr. Fancy Face. 

So when i say Action, i mean action... Honestly the way im going to portray the story in-game the player will get whats going on at the same time just blowing up aliens.

A big point in the game is to bring back fun boss fights with friends or solo, You have:

MEGA bosses: Which is Dr Fancy Face, Mothership and the Hive Queen

Bosses: Pretty Challenging

Mini-Bosses: Basically extremely high level enemy tier. So tough

Anyway all feedback is awesome, i see that sometimes i am blind to my own perspective.

Edited by ShaquitaChicken, 05 March 2016 - 04:23 AM.

851dda94fad93720e1ea0fea0ec173d3.gif

#2 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:32 PM

I wouldn't call your current graphics 'pixel art' just yet, more like "MS Paint Art", but they're still above average and nicely consistent, so there's potential :3

Some tips on how to draw better:

• Do outlines/shading with a darker shade of the same color instead of making everything out of blobs of the same color.
  • Avoid squares of the same color, it looks like a pixel of the wrong resolution and it just gets very ugly. The eyes and mouths of characters fall into that trap.

Not sure what you want us to discuss, but the concept seems pretty well developed so far. How will the assassin's invisibility power benefit the player? Make enemies not react to her, make her invincible, ...? (I'd also add in some buff that makes backstabbing instantly kill targets to make sneaking up from behind worthwhile)

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#3 Ninety

Ninety

I just want to see if the mods will waive the character limit.

• GMC Member
  • 846 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:55 PM

Also don't mix sprite resolutions, stick to one resolution, it'll make your game look much better.

ka0eZdt.png
twitter | soundcloud | gmcomicified | ask.fm | homestead | itch.io | TIGsource

goodnight, sweet prince

#4 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:20 PM

If you're to call it platformer, have nice sequences of platforming in there. Don't make the usual mistake on focusing your game entirely on shooting and have jumps here and there. 

Also, look at other action platformers, Contra, Megaman, etc. Now tell yourself -- how do I make this better? Or better yet, how do I make it into a game I really like myself? You can also wonder where you should bring the genre. What can you do better than Contra or Megaman? Those are important questions in my opinion because after that you want to believe into your game for real in order to finish it. 

----------------------------------------- Always need testers! -------------------------------------------------------

The Life Ruby (Metroidvania platformer / Skills platformer)

(alpha section)

http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=658670&hl=

#5 ShaquitaChicken

ShaquitaChicken

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 03:54 AM

I wouldn't call your current graphics 'pixel art' just yet, more like "MS Paint Art", but they're still above average and nicely consistent, so there's potential :3

Some tips on how to draw better:

• Do outlines/shading with a darker shade of the same color instead of making everything out of blobs of the same color.
  • Avoid squares of the same color, it looks like a pixel of the wrong resolution and it just gets very ugly. The eyes and mouths of characters fall into that trap.

Not sure what you want us to discuss, but the concept seems pretty well developed so far. How will the assassin's invisibility power benefit the player? Make enemies not react to her, make her invincible, ...? (I'd also add in some buff that makes backstabbing instantly kill targets to make sneaking up from behind worthwhile)

Well the art is meant to be like that, im not a fan of a bunch of different pixels in one image. The machanics were all in c# and the AI would change their target to an invisible object around the player that would change positions on a time scale so it looked like the enemy fire was disoriented because of the invisibility and still a possibility of getting shot. sneaking is not a big thing in the game although i added some AI with eyesight and it worked fine. Also thanks for the compliment :D

Also don't mix sprite resolutions, stick to one resolution, it'll make your game look much better.

all art is kept to the power of 2 (or atleast pretty even depending on what it is). If youre looking at my signature it is because that is how unity renders pixels and makes it look bad.

If you're to call it platformer, have nice sequences of platforming in there. Don't make the usual mistake on focusing your game entirely on shooting and have jumps here and there. 

Also, look at other action platformers, Contra, Megaman, etc. Now tell yourself -- how do I make this better? Or better yet, how do I make it into a game I really like myself? You can also wonder where you should bring the genre. What can you do better than Contra or Megaman? Those are important questions in my opinion because after that you want to believe into your game for real in order to finish it. 

I spent like a month doing that basically (example spent a day wondering if i should have health regeneration or have the player rely on health packs). Theres a big plan i just didnt want to bore everyone with multiple paragraphs, make that mistake a lot. I can promise its not all shooting though, aslo the reason why I put xp so even though majority of it is shooting style you will be building your character at the same time.

EDIT: Good advice on Contra, need to look at that; its been ahwile

Edited by ShaquitaChicken, 05 March 2016 - 04:03 AM.

#6 Ninety

Ninety

I just want to see if the mods will waive the character limit.

• GMC Member
  • 846 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:17 AM

I was referring to this picture.

The art might be in power of two but that's not important. What's important is that the different characters are scaled at different sizes. The left two characters are almost at 1:1 scale, so their pixels are less visible. But the blond guy is way more zoomed in and you can see individual pixels. It looks inconsistent.

ka0eZdt.png
twitter | soundcloud | gmcomicified | ask.fm | homestead | itch.io | TIGsource

goodnight, sweet prince

#7 ShaquitaChicken

ShaquitaChicken

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:19 AM

I was referring to this picture.

The art might be in power of two but that's not important. What's important is that the different characters are scaled at different sizes. The left two characters are almost at 1:1 scale, so their pixels are less visible. But the blond guy is way more zoomed in and you can see individual pixels. It looks inconsistent.

um might be a screenshot problem it was pretty zoomed out :/ because the actual file stays consistent 

EDIT:

Anyway the art i posted is the bare minimum , it was just do add to the brief description so i can get advice if there is any flaws in the idea. 

Edited by ShaquitaChicken, 05 March 2016 - 04:21 AM.

#8 Ruub

Ruub

Finn The Human

• GMC Member
  • 762 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:32 PM

The smoke in your signature really gives it life.

The game is going to be mature judging by the interesting hippie waving his signs around. In my taste, such a joke needs a backstory. As you laugh about this guy now, later maybe you will find that nipplerubbing is a religion in this post-apocalyptic world ;D The last good thing we 'll have in these forsaken times, aye?

#9 ShaquitaChicken

ShaquitaChicken

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:40 AM

The smoke in your signature really gives it life.

The game is going to be mature judging by the interesting hippie waving his signs around. In my taste, such a joke needs a backstory. As you laugh about this guy now, later maybe you will find that nipplerubbing is a religion in this post-apocalyptic world ;D The last good thing we 'll have in these forsaken times, aye?

Yeah im a fan of particle systems so having good backgrounds to look at will be a strong point. Oh so the hippie. Uh well  i drew the rough draft (which is what you see) of him when i was drunk but he was more like an easter egg deal. He will be on every level in a secret spot and when you find him he tells you a dirty joke. So yeah i was drunk when i came up with that, he really has no significant role other than to test out my dialogue code :P btw i like where you were going with the nipple rubbing  :thumbsup: