Photo

Two different movement styles(top down game)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 man_of_pripyat

man_of_pripyat

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 146 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:13 AM

Hi,i wanna know which do you think is the best movement style for a top down game? Actually i´m working in a top down melee combat game,and i don´t know if add an animation for the player legs movement,like in this video:

https://www.youtube....h?v=iIhXiGvY_D8

or without legs animation,for me this is a movement more fluid but less realistic:

https://www.youtube....h?v=jnrJCBsBflQ

#2 Funkey

Funkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 30 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:29 AM

I don't understand why this was downvoted, I'll balance it out because it's a relevant question for this forum. I honestly wouldn't worry about this until you feel everything is ready in your game and it's completed. This is polishing your game, and I'm not against the idea but it will save you a lot of time if you write this down and come back to it later when the game is further in development and you can judge it based on what it looks like around all your finished art and design.

Edited by Funkey, 15 March 2016 - 01:29 AM.

I'm up for a chat if you want to bounce any ideas about anything game related. Feel free to add me.

Big Smoke: Same things make us laugh, make us cry.

#3 boustrophedon

boustrophedon

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 02:51 AM

definitely the first one, it looks more polished.

#4 man_of_pripyat

man_of_pripyat

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 146 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:04 AM

I don't understand why this was downvoted, I'll balance it out because it's a relevant question for this forum. I honestly wouldn't worry about this until you feel everything is ready in your game and it's completed. This is polishing your game, and I'm not against the idea but it will save you a lot of time if you write this down and come back to it later when the game is further in development and you can judge it based on what it looks like around all your finished art and design.

hi,i´m making the game and i have a test level already done,testing the first enemies,the first weapons i created but i can´t decide yet the movement style,in my first game i used the second one but for ths sprint i used the first style,it looked nice but i don´t know yet which i will use in my actual project

#5 Funkey

Funkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:37 AM

hi,i´m making the game and i have a test level already done,testing the first enemies,the first weapons i created but i can´t decide yet the movement style,in my first game i used the second one but for ths sprint i used the first style,it looked nice but i don´t know yet which i will use in my actual project

Ah, I couldn't see the videos so I presumed it wasn't as far in development as it is, my apologies. I reckon the first one with the legs is better, it just looks more polished as boustrophedon said.

I'm up for a chat if you want to bounce any ideas about anything game related. Feel free to add me.

Big Smoke: Same things make us laugh, make us cry.

#6 Peridot Gaming

Peridot Gaming

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:20 PM

Definitely the first movement style.  It looks better to me.  When I look at the second one it seems to me that it looks like the player is just floating along.

Find me on: itch.io  |  GameJolt  |  Website  |  Facebook