#1 shadow gamer

shadow gamer

Glory to Vanu

• GMC Member
  • 634 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:29 AM

Hello, 

I am currently developing a game called Beam Down, Drone, and I have been looking for sites to release my game on. A few things that I have found that would certainly bottleneck my game's commercial viability are admission fees, and paywalls(must make X amount of money in sales to start actually making money). Are there any places I could release my small title that do not have these roadblocks? Thanks,

Shadow

Content Expressed below may be outdated or the post above may not reflect my current opinion. Goodday to all.

O2BqYnd.png

Beam Down, Drone: Sci-Fi Combat Platformer 

#2 Ninety

Ninety

I just want to see if the mods will waive the character limit.

• GMC Member
  • 846 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:48 AM

itch.io is all round pretty great, I hear.

ka0eZdt.png
twitter | soundcloud | gmcomicified | ask.fm | homestead | itch.io | TIGsource

goodnight, sweet prince

#3 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:01 AM

Okay, I chose itch because you choose the publisher cut. You can be a greedy prick or offer them a nice cut of the profits or anywhere in between.

They're fairly well known in the indie community, and Jim Sterling even has a series on itch games, so the site is gaining popularity.

There's others. IndieDB does sales I think, and you can get on Desura through it, if that's even still a thing.

Steam is obvs the best for selling and publicity, but it comes at both a $100 fee and the Greenlight process, which can be a scary thing.

GOG is looking promising too, they have an Early Access thing now too, I believe.: https://www.gog.com/indie

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#4 Zuurix

Zuurix

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:16 AM

Desura

Desura went bankrupt, forget all about it.

Edited by Zuurix, 29 February 2016 - 10:16 AM.

1g6wSTF.png

#5 shadow gamer

shadow gamer

Glory to Vanu

• GMC Member
  • 634 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:20 PM

After looking, Itch.io has some wonderful rates, and all combined fees seem to add up to 15% + $0.30 per sale. Desura's bankrupt, Steam has the huge paywall(+ 30-40% cut in publisher fees, not mentioning other fees like paypal and tax), 

Content Expressed below may be outdated or the post above may not reflect my current opinion. Goodday to all.

O2BqYnd.png

#6 Ninety

Ninety

• GMC Member
  • 846 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:35 PM

Steam's ~30% cut and VAT are very standard for online distribution platforms. Itch.io is able to run on less because it's targeted at indies, they essentially host the server and nothing else.

Itch.io, GOG, IndieDB and all are fine platforms, but they cannot compare to the user base of Steam. Pretty much any indie game would have to release on Steam to get a shot at real success (with a few notable exceptions).

ka0eZdt.png

goodnight, sweet prince

#7 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:36 PM

Actually you goal should be to put your game in as many places as possible. Visibility = sales. 

----------------------------------------- Always need testers! -------------------------------------------------------

The Life Ruby (Metroidvania platformer / Skills platformer)

(alpha section)

http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=658670&hl=

#8 xPac7x

xPac7x

Genetix

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:37 PM

Depends on how serious you are about the game. $100 for access to Steam isn't much at all - you can make that back within the first few minutes your game go's on sale if you work at it. (Obviously, sales slow down considerably - but those first few hours can pay for much of the game's development cost.)

Please check out Rogue Harvest on Steam: http://store.steampo....com/app/409490

Please also check out my Google Play games: https://play.google....745135653735703

Thanks x1000 for any & all support!  :bunny: 

#9 shadow gamer

shadow gamer

Glory to Vanu

• GMC Member
  • 634 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:43 AM

Depends on how serious you are about the game. $100 for access to Steam isn't much at all - you can make that back within the first few minutes your game go's on sale if you work at it. (Obviously, sales slow down considerably - but those first few hours can pay for much of the game's development cost.)

Right, however, I have a very small game, and for my first commercial product I only want to release on a small site like Itch.io. 

O2BqYnd.png

#10 Zuurix

Zuurix

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:47 AM

Right, however, I have a very small game, and for my first commercial product I only want to release on a small site like Itch.io. 

Sounds like you don't want to get money.

Last month my game on Itch.io was downloaded 8 times and it's free!

I doubt you'll sell more than, what, 20 copies?

1g6wSTF.png

#11 vdweller

vdweller

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 212 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:33 AM

From other indie studios, Steam does take a larger share than other services, but if you put the game on 10 websites including Steam, you may find out that 80% of sales comes from Steam. So on other websites you may sell 100 copies and get 90% of the price, but in steam you could sell 500 and get 70%...you do the math. So GO FOR STEAM

Itch.io is also good. I put my game a few days ago for $4.99 and sales pop up every now and then.

Other services are worth looking into, too.

Greenlightpromo_500x60o_zpsan2aaoer.png

#12 shadow gamer

shadow gamer

Glory to Vanu

• GMC Member
  • 634 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:23 PM

Thing is, I use that $100 to either pay an artist or go on steam. I have lots of art that needs to be made. Maybe when I get a greenlit account then I'll shove it on there, but for now I'm relying on conventions, streams, reviews, twutter, etc. 

O2BqYnd.png

#13 Karurosu

Karurosu

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:36 PM

Thing is, I use that $100 to either pay an artist or go on steam. I have lots of art that needs to be made. Maybe when I get a greenlit account then I'll shove it on there, but for now I'm relying on conventions, streams, reviews, twutter, etc. 

Look for the more talented artist you can get for $100, be sure that his style is attractive, if he request money and your poor, since you already have the style define, you just have to work over his stuff to finish some stuff,  make a kickstarter of $10k, profit!! - it worked for Hyper Light Dirfter

*Following my own advice right now

Edited by Karurosu, 01 March 2016 - 05:45 PM.

If you´re reading this, it´s because I´m already dead. So if you want to communicate with my afterlife me,  send an email to: carlosmlg109@gmail.com -Available for hire, programmer and pixel artist-

#14 shadow gamer

shadow gamer

Glory to Vanu

• GMC Member
  • 634 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:58 PM

Look for the more talented artist you can get for $100, be sure that his style is attractive, if he request money and your poor, since you already have the style define, you just have to work over his stuff to finish some stuff,  make a kickstarter of $10k, profit!! - it worked for Hyper Light Dirfter

Already found my artist (Less than $100). What game are you working on?

O2BqYnd.png

#15 Karurosu

Karurosu

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:19 PM

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

If you´re reading this, it´s because I´m already dead. So if you want to communicate with my afterlife me,  send an email to: carlosmlg109@gmail.com -Available for hire, programmer and pixel artist-

#16 Karurosu

Karurosu

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:48 PM

Sounds like you don't want to get money.

Last month my game on Itch.io was downloaded 8 times and it's free!

I doubt you'll sell more than, what, 20 copies?

You got more downloads form indieDB? If so, How much more?? 

#17 shadow gamer

shadow gamer

Glory to Vanu

• GMC Member
  • 634 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:02 PM

Private video. 

O2BqYnd.png

#18 Karurosu

Karurosu

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:12 PM

Private video. 

you can check now

#19 Zuurix

Zuurix

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:29 PM

You got more downloads form indieDB? If so, How much more?? 

7kMzg7J.png

1g6wSTF.png

#20 11clock

11clock

Mech. Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2735 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:40 AM

Actually you goal should be to put your game in as many places as possible. Visibility = sales.

No, no, noooooo. Don't do this. The more stores you put your game on, the harder it becomes to manage. Focus on a select few that don't take too much time to manage and have bigger market value.

The $100 Steam fee is a one-time fee for unlimited games. Also they don't pay through PayPal but with bank checks, like any professional business.

Steam provides a lot of exposure as well.

qNDVrhl.png

#21 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:42 AM

No, no, noooooo. Don't do this. The more stores you put your game on, the harder it becomes to manage. Focus on a select few that don't take too much time to manage and have bigger market value.

The $100 Steam fee is a one-time fee for unlimited games. Also they don't pay through PayPal but with bank checks, like any professional business.

What do you mean "manage"? You send your game on a scale you can handle that's all. I don't see this as hard. How many stores can really overwhelmed me? You put your energy on the most important ones. Anyhow, this principle is proven since forever and therefore we can't deny it: Visibility = sales. Up to you to take this principle and take advantage of it the more you can! 

Edited by RangerX, 04 March 2016 - 12:42 AM.

----------------------------------------- Always need testers! -------------------------------------------------------

(alpha section)

#22 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:24 PM

Well, depending on how the store handles withdrawals, having it on many platforms may make it difficult to get paid.
Some places, like the now defunct desura, had a balance wall of like $500 before they'd pay out. They're still up, btw. http://www.desura.com/

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#23 11clock

11clock

Mech. Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2735 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:27 PM

What do you mean "manage"? You send your game on a scale you can handle that's all. I don't see this as hard. How many stores can really overwhelmed me? You put your energy on the most important ones. Anyhow, this principle is proven since forever and therefore we can't deny it: Visibility = sales. Up to you to take this principle and take advantage of it the more you can!
You have to check up on all of these store pages and individual forums (if the stores provide you with forums like Steam and Desura), and when you need to update your game, you have to submit it to every store you release on, and some of these stores can be quite painful to update your game on. It really becomes hard to manage.

Also, putting your game on more stores doesn't necessarily increase visibility. I have my game on MacGameStore, IndieGala, and Steam right now. It has sold hundreds of copies on Steam but no more than like 5 sales each on the other two stores. And because I am selling so little on these stores, they won't pay me, so it is lost money. As a result I am putting full focus on Steam.

Edited by 11clock, 04 March 2016 - 08:30 PM.

qNDVrhl.png

#24 Zuurix

Zuurix

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:28 PM

Yeah, I agree, some stores are not worth it, because you probably won't get anything from them.

But!

You have to check up on all of these store pages and individual forums (if the stores provide you with forums like Steam and Desura), and when you need to update your game, you have to submit it to every store you release on, and some of these stores can be quite painful to update your game on. It really becomes hard to manage.

You shouldn't be afraid of things getting hard to manage.

Indie developer does job of like 100 people, of course it's going to be hard to manage =P

1g6wSTF.png

#25 nekuf

nekuf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 378 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:47 PM

so you have to pay steam to sell your game there? wasnt it just to pass greenlight or whatever? whatabout releasing a free demo, shuld i put it on meny suites?

#26 K3fka

K3fka

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 601 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:50 PM

You have to pay a one-time fee of $100 in order to be able to create Greenlight campaigns. From there, everything is free. If your game gets accepted onto Steam, they will take a 30% cut of all sales.

#27 nekuf

nekuf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 378 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:58 PM

but im poor, dont have that much money and what they say about these other suites seems kinda scary.

it seems theyr worth only to get them 100$ and pay the steam fee. 

also does my game need to have achievments or some particular setup to be on steam?

#28 shadow gamer

shadow gamer

Glory to Vanu

• GMC Member
  • 634 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:08 PM

but im poor, dont have that much money and what they say about these other suites seems kinda scary.

it seems theyr worth only to get them 100$ and pay the steam fee. 

also does my game need to have achievments or some particular setup to be on steam?

Nope, nothing at all. They recommend it, but that's it. Also, your game has to get greenlit, and that's another story by itself. 

O2BqYnd.png

#29 K3fka

K3fka

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 601 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:20 PM

Yes, $100 is really a small investment if you're trying to make a commercial game anyway. Greenlight campaigning is the real challenge.

#30 nekuf

nekuf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 378 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:00 PM

ive heard you need like 700k votes to pass it. is that true?

#31 shadow gamer

shadow gamer

Glory to Vanu

• GMC Member
  • 634 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:08 PM

I highly recommend this resource:

http://steamcommunit...765&section=faq

Answer to your question:

The specific number of votes doesn't matter as much as relative interest in a game compared with other games in Steam Greenlight—we need customers to help us prioritize which games they want to see made available on Steam.

We're going to be reaching out to developers as we see their games getting traction regardless of whether they have achieved a specific number of votes or are sitting 1st or 2nd place at any given time. We are most interested in finding the games that people want, not requiring them to hit a specific number of votes.

O2BqYnd.png

#32 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:17 PM

Also, putting your game on more stores doesn't necessarily increase visibility. I have my game on MacGameStore, IndieGala, and Steam right now. It has sold hundreds of copies on Steam but no more than like 5 sales each on the other two stores. And because I am selling so little on these stores, they won't pay me, so it is lost money. As a result I am putting full focus on Steam.

Anyways, you're basically confirming what I am saying. If your game wasn't on those other stores, you wouldn't have had those sales. The more places your game can sell, the more chances you have at sales, its just undeniable. I never said you'll necessarily make real money. Besides, another wierd thought you have.... have you paid something to those other stores? If you didn't pay anything, it means you didn't lose anything either. And lastly, like I said, of course you will focuses on the places where its the most profitable... 

(alpha section)

#33 11clock

11clock

Mech. Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2735 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:24 PM

Anyways, you're basically confirming what I am saying. If your game wasn't on those other stores, you wouldn't have had those sales. The more places your game can sell, the more chances you have at sales, its just undeniable. I never said you'll necessarily make real money. Besides, another wierd thought you have.... have you paid something to those other stores? If you didn't pay anything, it means you didn't lose anything either. And lastly, like I said, of course you will focuses on the places where its the most profitable... 

You ignored the part I said where those sales on the other stores didn't matter because they're not going to pay me due to the small amount of sales. You have to make a certain amount of sales on most stores in order for them to send you a check. 5 sales isn't even close to the threshold for these stores. Basically I have made absolutely no profit off of MacGameStore and IndieGala. I am not going to be seeing the money I earned from those sites. Also, yes it was free for me to get on these stores since they basically invited me via email and I just had to say yes and sign a contract, but it was a loss of time, and time is money.

ive heard you need like 700k votes to pass it. is that true?

I was greenlit with exactly 601 yes votes.

Edited by 11clock, 04 March 2016 - 11:28 PM.

qNDVrhl.png

#34 Ninety

Ninety

• GMC Member
  • 846 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:33 PM

If putting extra effort into stores that don't earn you a cent means you can't put as much effort into the stores that matter (like Steam), what's the point?

ka0eZdt.png

goodnight, sweet prince