6 replies to this topic

#1 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1372 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 28 February 2016 - 06:13 PM

Long story short, I'm going to try and write a program that tries to rebuild a corrupted GMX to the best of its abilities, I already have one method of recovery ready to start implementing, but I'm probably going to need a few samples to see if there are any other methods I would need to try. So, please post or PM me a few of your corrupted GMXs. I will also be looking at GMXs corrupted by LateralGM so feel free to send me a few of those too.

cooltext680386545.png
The YYGF subreddit: /r/YYGF

#2 Funkey

Funkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:48 PM

Howdy ho, what language are you planning to write this program in? I'm happy to post my corrupted GMX file/s that I have accumulated. Also, how do you plan to.. "un-corrupt" these files?

I'm up for a chat if you want to bounce any ideas about anything game related. Feel free to add me.

Big Smoke: Same things make us laugh, make us cry.

#3 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1372 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 04:27 PM

I'm gonna write it in Python. I plan to 'un-corrupt' them by using this method (that I've tried, and works), as well as a few others to fix malformations in the XML (which I'll figure out later after I get the samples):

The premise here is that all the GMX is, is an xml file that holds the structure of the game, when this gets corrupted it's usually just been overwritten with blank information (in my experience anyways). So we do the following:

1) Find all the resources in ./background ./Configs ./fonts ./objects ./rooms ./scripts ./sound and ./sprites

2) Change them to the way that GM references them, e.g:

<sprites name="sprites">
<sprite>sprites\SpriteNameWithExtensionRemoved</sprite>
</sprites>

for sprites

3) Rebuild the XML with this, allowing the user to exclude certain resources (since this will include some resources that were 'deleted').

cooltext680386545.png

#4 Cpaz

Cpaz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:25 PM

I'm gonna write it in Python. I plan to 'un-corrupt' them by using this method (that I've tried, and works), as well as a few others to fix malformations in the XML (which I'll figure out later after I get the samples):

The premise here is that all the GMX is, is an xml file that holds the structure of the game, when this gets corrupted it's usually just been overwritten with blank information (in my experience anyways). So we do the following:

1) Find all the resources in ./background ./Configs ./fonts ./objects ./rooms ./scripts ./sound and ./sprites

<sprites name="sprites">
</sprites>

for sprites

3) Rebuild the XML with this, allowing the user to exclude certain resources (since this will include some resources that were 'deleted').

That makes a surprising amount of sense. But what if say, parts of a script is corrupted. Would that be salvageable? Or would this only repair malformed XML assignments?

Check out my projects:
In "Progress":
ARANA (Top-down, hack 'n slash, rpg-thing)
Fast Action Heroine (Side scrolling, action, platformer)

#5 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1372 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:06 PM

<sprites name="sprites">
</sprites>

for sprites

That makes a surprising amount of sense. But what if say, parts of a script is corrupted. Would that be salvageable? Or would this only repair malformed XML assignments?

I might add something for fixing corrupted resources, but that's what I need the samples for. Otherwise, this is all it'll do.

cooltext680386545.png

#6 djk164

djk164

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:27 PM

When game maker "corrupts" my files, it goes all at it. It deletes everything! No xml left (just a bunch of empty files)! There is nothing to salvage!

Bye old GMC!

#7 roytheshort

roytheshort

The Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 539 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:31 PM

When game maker "corrupts" my files, it goes all at it. It deletes everything! No xml left (just a bunch of empty files)! There is nothing to salvage!

Send faissialoo a blank e-mail with nothing attached then, duh.