#1 Xer0botXer0

Xer0botXer0

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 770 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:19 AM

Hi all, 

I'm wondering, what is crowd funding for, when it comes to indie games.

Is this just a way of selling a complete game, plus additional perks ? in an attempt to make some income.

Or is it more like, one has a solid game already, that's not released yet and the funding is there so people can get the game or game perks etc, where the money is used to fund/expand the game further beyond an already well polished enjoyable game ?

//=====================

Good bye, Farewell GMC! :D

See you all in the next TIER!

======================\\

#2 Zuurix

Zuurix

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:56 AM

If I won't get 100$ for Steam Greenlight access from selling game on Itch.io, I'll start crowd funding campaign.

I think that's what crowd funding is for.

1g6wSTF.png

#3 Ninety

Ninety

I just want to see if the mods will waive the character limit.

• GMC Member
  • 846 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:10 AM

Crowd funding is to get the funds so you can develop your game. It shouldn't just be used as another form of distribution. You need to be clear about why you actually need crowd funding and how it will help your development.

ka0eZdt.png
twitter | soundcloud | gmcomicified | ask.fm | homestead | itch.io | TIGsource

goodnight, sweet prince

#4 K3fka

K3fka

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 601 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:45 PM

Well I think he's confused as to why an indie dev would need crowdfunding. I think that the purpose of crowdfunding would be to do things like help pay for contracts with artists, musicians, etc. or maybe to help you sustain yourself without a full-time job during development (likely in addition to a sum of money you have already saved up).

#5 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:16 PM

I think that the purpose of crowdfunding would be to do things like help pay for contracts with artists, musicians, etc.  or maybe to help you sustain yourself without a full-time job during development (snip)

I agree.  Those are all reasons I see given on the Kickstarter section for games development.  I suspect other crowdfunding sites are similar.

The one exception is that much of the artist's work needs to be done before starting a kickstarter campaign.  Because having good artwork in a high-quality video gives projects a greater chance at funding.  (Based on my casual observation only.  I haven't seen any statistics on this.)