• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 the original potato

the original potato

GMC Member

• 3 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:01 AM

so I'm a newer person with game maker(by that I mean next to no actual code). but as the title entails id like to know if there are any kind of games I should start off with.

p.s. I'm pretty into incremental/idle games and top down shooter right now.

p.s.s. if you would be willing to help too it would be much appreciated.

#2 ImJoe

ImJoe

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 124 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:58 AM

Some of the first games I made with game maker were basic side scroll shooters. Also block breaking games with the paddle at the bottom and the blocks at the top and a ball to bound around. That was a long time ago (game maker 4)

Top down shooters aren't to difficult to get started with but if you're new, they may leave you scratching your head at times. Here are some TDS engines on the open source forums here. They may or may not be beginner friendly but they can give you an idea of what you're up against if you choose to make your own TDS. Or hey, just have fun with the engines!

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=362604 - ronotek TDS-Engine

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=504728 - TDS Battlefield Engine

Edited by ImJoe, 26 February 2016 - 02:59 AM.

sprite1_zpsdnclugwx.png

#3 seanMombo

seanMombo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1790 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:20 AM

Anything small.

#4 the original potato

the original potato

GMC Member

• 3 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:40 AM

like?

#5 seanMombo

seanMombo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1790 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:39 AM

A cookie clicker game, or a simple tds are as good as any.
Just make some small games, figure out some programming and game dev paradigms, and have some fun

Edited by seanMombo, 26 February 2016 - 05:40 AM.

#6 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:58 PM

A shmup is also pretty simple to make and covers much the basics for learning. Top or side scrolling, no matter.

----------------------------------------- Always need testers! -------------------------------------------------------

The Life Ruby (Metroidvania platformer / Skills platformer)

(alpha section)

http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=658670&hl=

#7 Simon_Mitchison

Simon_Mitchison

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:18 PM

I think it's best to think about what you actually want to make. Is there a game in head that you would love to play? Do you have ideas for original game mechanics or improvements/innovations to existing game mechanics? I don't really think there is a specific genre or type of game that is best to start with, the important thing is that you try something.

You'll more than like discover that you what you need to know and code is beyond your current skill and knowledge, but making an attempt will give you the chance to learn new skills and improve your knowledge of programming.

Once you have an idea, try to build it and see where it goes. Failure is inevitable, yet necessary at the same time.So my question is, what ideas do you have?

Edited by Simon_Mitchison, 26 February 2016 - 04:18 PM.

Team Request

:rambo Do you have the GML programming skills to build a solid puzzle game engine? "Yes Sir, I do" Then join the team developing Super Chroma to prove it. Contact me at simon.mitchison@outlook.com if you want to help.  :rambo 

#8 ImJoe

ImJoe

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:48 PM

I think it's best to think about what you actually want to make. Is there a game in head that you would love to play? Do you have ideas for original game mechanics or improvements/innovations to existing game mechanics? I don't really think there is a specific genre or type of game that is best to start with, the important thing is that you try something.

You'll more than like discover that you what you need to know and code is beyond your current skill and knowledge, but making an attempt will give you the chance to learn new skills and improve your knowledge of programming.

Once you have an idea, try to build it and see where it goes. Failure is inevitable, yet necessary at the same time.So my question is, what ideas do you have?

Good point, sometimes it's just best to get into the heat of the battle.

sprite1_zpsdnclugwx.png

#9 xPac7x

xPac7x

Genetix

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:57 PM

Pong - such a great starting point. You'll learn basic player input, some basic physics/collision with the ball, and some simple A.I. with the enemy paddle. Very simple, but can be improved infinitely.

Please check out Rogue Harvest on Steam: http://store.steampo....com/app/409490

Please also check out my Google Play games: https://play.google....745135653735703

Thanks x1000 for any & all support!  :bunny: 

#10 Dylzer98

Dylzer98

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:16 PM

Hi the original potato,

I would start with the tutorials that are located within Game Maker, these give vital information that will help you to understand Game Maker more clearly while taking you through the steps to create a simple looking game. They range from 3D tutorials to simple shooters etc.

Dylzer98 (OricalTek Software)

OricalTek Owner

www.oricaltek.weebly.com

#11 Funkey

Funkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:09 AM

Start small. Go through the tutorials and then once you are familiar with the software, if you decide to use it, make small games that are simple. eg. Pong > Dodge Cars > Mario and then see where you go from there. Learn GML as soon as possible, it's worth it for the flexibility.

I'm up for a chat if you want to bounce any ideas about anything game related. Feel free to add me.

Big Smoke: Same things make us laugh, make us cry.

#12 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 05:09 PM

A simple shooter game covers movement, AI, stage scrolling, local variables (enemy hitpoints), possibly a shop that lets you upgrade the player, both mouse and keyboard input... and unlike platformers, you don't need to worry about pesky things like gravity and platforms that pushes people around. I'd seriously recommend making a shmup or zombie TDS (or preferably both, in that order) before taking on a platformer because it's easier.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#13 stainedofmind

stainedofmind

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1775 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:43 PM

I jumped right into complicated games, like RPGs and platformers (in DnD...  Almost killed myself because of how frustrating it was to get anything to work right), but I have a decent background in programming already, and I've dabbled in a lot of other game creation software before, so I wouldn't advise that, suffice to say, that even though I failed miserably, multiple times, I learned A LOT.  In the end, it depends on your experience with programming, and how fast a learner you are.