• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kokkinosman9

Kokkinosman9

GMC Member

• 4 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:32 AM

Me and a friend are tasked with creating a game together with the theme of two button control,

So far we've come up with a good sounding idea, you work through that game by picking one of two options that do certain things, for example you're told a village is getting attacked, you can either help defend it (good option) or attack it (evil option)

there won't be any moving stuff,

the interface in the two buttons at the bottom, their options above them and the question/choice at the top, we hope to get it going so that the more evil choices you take the different path you go down.

Any advice?

Currently working on a side shooting game, any tips welcomed :D

#2 RujiK

RujiK

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:27 PM

I want to give you some advice, but I am not sure what kind you are asking for. Can you give me some advice?

In conclusion: Can you be a little less vague? (Are you asking for programming, story, or "do I like this idea?" kind of advice?)

#3 Kokkinosman9

Kokkinosman9

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:41 PM

I want to give you some advice, but I am not sure what kind you are asking for. Can you give me some advice?

In conclusion: Can you be a little less vague? (Are you asking for programming, story, or "do I like this idea?" kind of advice?)

Sorry i didn't mean to be vague, i guess I'm looking for coding advice,

for example if you made one choice it should lead down a different path than the other choice, so if I'm not explaining it very well :(

Currently working on a side shooting game, any tips welcomed :D

#4 xPac7x

xPac7x

Genetix

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:03 PM

Perhaps have multiple rooms/scenes that you can go to in various orders, and in each them adapt a few things based on the current karma (good/evil) level. So for example, reactions to the player, sprites of the player, etc change if your evil is super high or if your good is very high. 

Please check out Rogue Harvest on Steam: http://store.steampo....com/app/409490

Please also check out my Google Play games: https://play.google....745135653735703

Thanks x1000 for any & all support!  :bunny: 

#5 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:01 AM

Normally I don't go around throwing my opinion at people, but am really sick of the old "option one is good, option two is bad" choice system. No human being (except many Jesus) has ever been pure good! No human being in history is pure bad! Nor do we act super evil one minute and good the next! Good and bad are boring!

You have the perfect opportunity to think outside the box! Here is my advice, have an Orange and Blue morality system. Rather than let people be good or bad, let people decide where they stand in unique places.

Imagine a boulder rolls into a river due to nature, and two people see it happen. Person one wants to move the boulder because it is in the way of the water flow and is causing the water to move around the boulder. Because the water flow is different, he thinks it might cause harm to the land beyond where the water flows. Person two wants to not touch the boulder because nature is the reason the boulder got there in the first place, therefore moving the boulder would be interfering with nature. In this situation, neither person is right or wrong, yet you might feel inclined to side with one of them. Isn't that more thought provoking than "Should I kill the puppy or give it a bowl of water?"

r7sNbRa.png  (Nitemare38 = Otyugra)

Two and a half years of game development taught me the joy of making something unique and unconventional. It is not good enough to make a game fun when there are way too many other freeware games that make fun their selling point.

#6 Ninety

Ninety

I just want to see if the mods will waive the character limit.

• GMC Member
  • 846 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:07 AM

@Otyugra: Ever heard of the trolley problem?

(Swear I posted this about an hour ago, but I must have accidentally closed the tab...)

ka0eZdt.png
twitter | soundcloud | gmcomicified | ask.fm | homestead | itch.io | TIGsource

goodnight, sweet prince

#7 Otyugra

Otyugra

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 618 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:58 AM

@Otyugra: Ever heard of the trolley problem?

(Swear I posted this about an hour ago, but I must have accidentally closed the tab...)

I've heard of it but I never realized how easy a parallel could be drawn from my example and the Trolley problem.

r7sNbRa.png  (Nitemare38 = Otyugra)

Two and a half years of game development taught me the joy of making something unique and unconventional. It is not good enough to make a game fun when there are way too many other freeware games that make fun their selling point.

#8 xPac7x

xPac7x

Genetix

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:38 PM

Just remembered another really great game - One finger death punch, that games controls were extremely simple, but with timing and other concepts it turned out to be a really great gem. Something to look into.

Please check out Rogue Harvest on Steam: http://store.steampo....com/app/409490

Please also check out my Google Play games: https://play.google....745135653735703

Thanks x1000 for any & all support!  :bunny: