Photo

What is happening with Gamemaker Studio?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 mrd99

mrd99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 73 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:19 AM

Some years ago Yoyogames had a very clear and public roadmap - that was nice!

Now days, I feel like Yoyogames is locked in a black box. Like a grumpy old man they don't want people to know anything about their business. A common reply when someone is very curious and ask polity "Any news on GM:S 2.0" or "Do you have any new road map" is: "[keep your nose out of our stuff] we will tell you, when and if we feel likw we are ready".

As an individual developer I have spent close to $1000 on their product, and I'm still spending on their stores.

So when you guys don't even feel like answering our need for information - that is just disrespectful.

For all I know, you guys might just be ready to close the shop?

Honestly, as long as you don't let us know otherwise, how are we to know?

Remember: SHARING IS CARING!

Care for us, like we care for you guys!

Just take a look at Unity, they are rushing their 2D development and has an open road map.

Why should you guys not be better then them?

Please!

#2 nekuf

nekuf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:38 AM

i dont care much bout info on what theyr duin, its theyr busines, but it seems to me that gms 1.3 was more stable then 1.4.

1.4 is kinda bugy and they kinda left it for dead with its bugyness.

#3 NotWhoYouThink

NotWhoYouThink

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1061 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:52 AM

<snip>

My thoughts exactly.

This forum is archived. The above may not reflect my current opinion, or may be irrelevant now.

#4 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2937 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:34 AM

We have been very public about our Roadmap for the future, we are currently working on the next version of GameMaker (which is what we always said would happen after 1.4) 

We are maintaining Studio 1.x and keeping it up to date and we are still looking to improve it, currently we are looking at performance and memory improvements in the IDE and Compiler particularly with reference to large projects, and improving the collision system.

But these are general maintenance things and not worthy of a Roadmap.

We will have a public Roadmap available once we have made announcements about the next version of GameMaker

Russell

#5 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:41 AM

We will have a public Roadmap available once we have made announcements about the next version of GameMaker

That's not enough, Russell.   We want to know your roadmap to get the roadmap.  :P

#6 Ninety

Ninety

I just want to see if the mods will waive the character limit.

• GMC Member
  • 846 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:01 PM

In what kind of timeframe can we expect the roadmap of the roadmap to arrive? Perhaps you should create something to let us know when we can expect the roadmap to the roadmap to arrive, something that will tell us what changes or improvements you have planned for this roadmap roadmap and when you'll be implementing them. What's the word for that?

ka0eZdt.png
twitter | soundcloud | gmcomicified | ask.fm | homestead | itch.io | TIGsource

goodnight, sweet prince

#7 mrd99

mrd99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:23 PM

We have been very public about our Roadmap for the future, we are currently working on the next version of GameMaker (which is what we always said would happen after 1.4) 

Yes, Russell, but that is now close to two years ago... 

That you need a planning period is only fair, but at one point your need for internal planning should not be more important than answering your customers need for information.

Please, think of this issue from the customers / developers perspective:

Give us a reason to sick with Gamemaker (that we love and have invested money in) instead of switching to Unity.

If I stick with Gamemaker I have absolutely no idea what to expect. Not in matter for functions, time line, anything?

Is that really who you want to leave your customers hanging, strawing for information?

Hope you do not see this is a rude post, just expressing my frustration over the fact that I soon have to make the choice to switch to Unity or not...

Br, Dan

#8 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2937 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:28 PM

Unfortunately this is all in the realm of product announcements and I am cannot do that just now, as part of the acquisition last year (and because PlayTech is a stock market quoted company) I am simply not allowed to - this is the same reason that I cannot do a roadmap at this time (until product is announced)

Russell

#9 nekuf

nekuf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:09 PM

so game maker studio1.4 will get updates/fixes but slowly? im really confused about is gms 1.4 dead or alive. can you confirm with few words Russel?

#10 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2937 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:52 PM

We are supporting GMS for the next few years with updates for the targets (i.e. new versions of iOS and Android)  - GMS 1.4 is very definitely alive and well

We will have monthly releases as we currently do (or at least plan to)

Russell

#11 Misu

Misu

Awesometasticness!

• GMC Member
  • 691 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:02 PM

I like how Russell ends every post he does with his name.

Do you normally do that in chats as well? xD

#12 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 6565 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:10 PM

We are supporting GMS for the next few years with updates for the targets (i.e. new versions of iOS and Android)  - GMS 1.4 is very definitely alive and well

We will have monthly releases as we currently do (or at least plan to)

What about hot fixes for critical blockers and crashes, such as the ones on Android after switching to Gradle? The response to that has been rather slow. For those of us with a product on an app store to update, a month-long wait isn't exactly palatable.

GameGeisha

Latest Releases:
  • GMLinear --- Matrix and vector math in one line!
  • GMAssert --- Debug invalid values and write quick unit tests with ease!
  • KameGMS --- Bring up TortoiseSVN and TortoiseGit dialogs from within the GMS IDE!
  • JSOnion v1.1 --- The stink-free way to handle JSON! (even deeply nested ones)

#13 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2937 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:18 PM

If you have requirements for hot fixes for particular products contact help desk (and mention me) they will put you in touch with Core Tech who can help out with Red (nightly builds) for hot fixes

Russell

#14 jimthegreat1012

jimthegreat1012

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:25 PM

Unfortunately this is all in the realm of product announcements and I am cannot do that just now, as part of the acquisition last year (and because PlayTech is a stock market quoted company) I am simply not allowed to - this is the same reason that I cannot do a roadmap at this time (until product is announced)

Russell

If PlayTech is what's stopping you guys from making announcements, maybe you guys could talk it over with them? The lack of transparency does feel really weird, especially compared with how talkative you guys used to be. Like mrd99 pointed out, Unity has a nice and clear roadmap right on their main site, listing out all the planned features, as well as noting whether or not they're on schedule, in danger of being late, or late. The whole thing feels very reassuring and honest - even when things on their roadmap are marked as late, it still feels like "okay, sure. It's late, but it's still up there, and they're admitting it's late. I'm sure they're getting the feature finished as fast as they can." Compared with how things are run here....where we had a roadmap, but it disappeared. I could have sworn GMS2.0 was scheduled for release last year, but I have no way of knowing without digging around. I could have sworn you guys said "we're going to fix the IDE and the room editor in this version!!" like two years ago, but without a roadmap who knows?

I can see PlayTech wanting you guys to make sure everything is just so with GMS2.0 before you unveil it, but it feels like it's been a long time since we've heard anything. A simple skeleton of a roadmap would do wonders for my confidence in GameMaker's future. For what it's worth, because of the lack of info, I've been learning Unity in my spare time, and plan on switching over as soon as my current project is finished. I've been with GM forever, but Unity is a nice engine, too, and they've got their plans laid out for me in a way that reassures me that they'll deliver on those promised features in a timely manner.

My two cents, given to you guys because I've been using GM for over ten years now, and everyone at the YoYoGames staff have always come off as pretty good people to me. I hope you guys get everything sorted soon, and release something amazing.

Edited by jimthegreat1012, 16 February 2016 - 09:27 PM.

#15 gnysek

gnysek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 613 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:33 AM

I like how Russell ends every post he does with his name.
Do you normally do that in chats as well? xD

Of course not, I was working in YoYoGames and he was not doing it ;) He got a one sentence that he said after every Monday Morning Meeting, but I already forgot it. (It was something in a style of Jerry Springer "... and take care of yourself" at end of his "Final Thought" in tv show).

Previously game developer at YoYoGames, Currently PHP developer in DB-Team
Programming and working with: GML/C#/PHP/JS/MySql/CSS/HTML

Follow 
@GameMakerUpdate to get info about latest versions of GM when they are released: https://twitter.com/GameMakerUpdate or visit website.

(it's managed by bot, not by human, remember)

#16 Karurosu

Karurosu

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:36 PM

Russell

If PlayTech is what's stopping you guys from making announcements, maybe you guys could talk it over with them? The lack of transparency does feel really weird, especially compared with how talkative you guys used to be. Like mrd99 pointed out, Unity has a nice and clear roadmap right on their main site, listing out all the planned features, as well as noting whether or not they're on schedule, in danger of being late, or late. The whole thing feels very reassuring and honest - even when things on their roadmap are marked as late, it still feels like "okay, sure. It's late, but it's still up there, and they're admitting it's late. I'm sure they're getting the feature finished as fast as they can." Compared with how things are run here....where we had a roadmap, but it disappeared. I could have sworn GMS2.0 was scheduled for release last year, but I have no way of knowing without digging around. I could have sworn you guys said "we're going to fix the IDE and the room editor in this version!!" like two years ago, but without a roadmap who knows?

I can see PlayTech wanting you guys to make sure everything is just so with GMS2.0 before you unveil it, but it feels like it's been a long time since we've heard anything. A simple skeleton of a roadmap would do wonders for my confidence in GameMaker's future. For what it's worth, because of the lack of info, I've been learning Unity in my spare time, and plan on switching over as soon as my current project is finished. I've been with GM forever, but Unity is a nice engine, too, and they've got their plans laid out for me in a way that reassures me that they'll deliver on those promised features in a timely manner.

My two cents, given to you guys because I've been using GM for over ten years now, and everyone at the YoYoGames staff have always come off as pretty good people to me. I hope you guys get everything sorted soon, and release something amazing.

Same feeling here, I mean, Yoyo said in 2015 that gms 2 was gonna be released later in 2015, then at september Mike made a topic saying that YOYO would reveal something about GMS2 at some point.... 5 months later, and nothing.

It will be much to ask for a roadmap for the next announcement of something about GMS2??

If you´re reading this, it´s because I´m already dead. So if you want to communicate with my afterlife me,  send an email to: carlosmlg109@gmail.com -Available for hire, programmer and pixel artist-

#17 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:13 PM

Russell has said - well, pretty much all we can say. So for now...sorry, can't say any more.  Closing.