themonster

Master Status

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:18 AM

Hi friends/developers, 

I have my animations in Toon Boom Harmony premium,

and I know that they support Unity with the "Harmony Game SDK" (the only game engine they are supporting)

https://www.toonboom.com/games

Is there any future support plan for Toon Boom Harmony > Game Maker integration? 
As you know, Toon Boom is the standard in the industry of animation world wide, can be a nice "Push" for game maker to have

official support with toon boom, (marketing and business wise)

and everybody knows that flash is dead for animation, they renamed to Animate CC, but Toon Boom is the king right know, 

the use of vector files in games instead of sprites, is very important for the game I am creating... 

:whistle:

Edited by themonster, 14 February 2016 - 12:21 AM.

#2 Chase of Bass

Chase of Bass

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:54 AM

You have toon boom harmony premium!?!?  lucky im still on toon boom animate pro -love it tho! 

We really need toon boom > game maker integration!  would be awesome -sucks rendering out still frames for every little thing and trying to cut them down so they aren't massive in size -real easy to eat up a texture page with a few character animations.

#3 themonster

themonster

Master Status

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:44 AM

jejeje, yes,

I had Animate Pro and the guys from toon boom called me by phone,... with a nice upgrade offer for the launch of the new Harmony ;) that I cannot resist....

Toon Boom Harmony is the best animation software I ever tried......... that can be awesome using it with GameMaker ;)

I think that there is an option to export sprite sheets in toon boom, (I need to test it...... )

check this site: 

http://www.catalinzi...mations-in-xna/

Example of using Toon Boom animation in a mobile game:

big animation professionals use toon boom and want to create games too ;)

http://www.digitalme...-animation.html

Edited by themonster, 14 February 2016 - 01:42 AM.

#4 themonster

themonster

Master Status

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:35 AM

oh, one thing I forgot:

Toon Boom can export animated .swf 

and game maker can have Vector Sprites 

just in case ;) it helps 

maybe YOYO games contacting Toon Boom company, can help with the official SDK support ;) 

#5 Loaf

Loaf

Just loafing around

• GMC:Member
  • 2164 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:22 AM

That would be interesting. I used Toon Boom to draw sprites for a game before, albeit it non-animated. It would make sense to have some kind of support if possible, I guess it comes down to cost.

For now I am appreciating Spine support. It's fairly affordable and it works great in GM.

:duck:

#6 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 6565 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:14 AM

I'd rather YoYo not waste any more time on vendor-specific integrations for 1.x, instead better documenting the extensions interface for 1.x and adding a proper asset pipeline into 2.x.

GameGeisha

Latest Releases:
  • GMLinear --- Matrix and vector math in one line!
  • GMAssert --- Debug invalid values and write quick unit tests with ease!
  • KameGMS --- Bring up TortoiseSVN and TortoiseGit dialogs from within the GMS IDE!
  • JSOnion v1.1 --- The stink-free way to handle JSON! (even deeply nested ones)

#7 themonster

themonster

Master Status

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:01 AM

I disagree, 

This is not "vendor-specific" this is THE 2d animation MARKET. 

We are talking about 99% of 2d animation studios on the planet using Toon Boom Harmony/Storyboard software

from the simpsons to Disney mickey mouse, all of the tv shows and movies in 2d are made in Toon Boom, period.

AND they usually translate those movies/tvshows to mobile games, web games and consoles:
http://disney.com/?intoverride=true

You have a full market, you can check:
https://www.toonboom...mer-productions
All movies/tvshows in Toon Boom....or maybe in wikipedia a full list:
https://en.wikipedia...ion#Filmography

+ all the indie animators, small studios and freelancers......

Why do you think other 3d engines right away create 2d tools/bones in it? 

This is a no brainer..........

:) peace

Edited by themonster, 14 February 2016 - 10:06 AM.

#8 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:27 PM

We are talking about 99% of 2d animation studios on the planet using Toon Boom Harmony/Storyboard software
from the simpsons to Disney mickey mouse, all of the tv shows and movies in 2d are made in Toon Boom, period.

So you want YYG to take valuable development time and devote it to working with a television animation company...? This is still game design software, not animation software.
iPqfGiP.png

#9 themonster

themonster

Master Status

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:45 PM

We are talking about 99% of 2d animation studios on the planet using Toon Boom Harmony/Storyboard software

So you want YYG to take valuable development time and devote it to working with a television animation company...? This is still game design software, not animation software.

why don't just do both? 

You are NOT developing for a "television animation company" you are developing FOR the animators, small studios,big studios, freelancers,  a lot of them (check in tumblr how many animators are creating right now)
every animator have personal projects, and after this animation is done, the wish is to create video games out of the animations. (yes, we love videogames too)

I love animation, I am not around here too much because I am in animation forums, I bough Master Collection because when

I finish my animation projects, I want to create videogames from it. period. (this is a hobby).

Do you want yoyo games have more users? more sales? more money? you need to expand to new markets, you need more artists using it, creating.

if 20% of Toon Boom Users, start buying/using Game maker, you will need to buy more server space/bandwidth (like the last humble bundle)..

if you have in gamemaker: vector sprites, you have .SWF compatibility, toon boom export .SWF, Adobe Flash is dead, everybody is switching from flash to Toon Boom......

Just my humble opinion.....   :whistle: 

**Yoyo Games can do a Market Research, if is affordable (business wise $$), to develop the official integration with the best/most used animation package in the planet, they can have the answer. Not you or me...

I am just presenting the idea here. Don't close the door to quickly.

**I can buy Spine any time, any day,
but, I think is a missed opportunity for yoyo games and game maker. As a business you need to research other markets and future users of your software........

Edited by themonster, 14 February 2016 - 06:46 PM.

#10 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:41 PM

This is not on our list. No one - except you, has ever asked for this. As such, it's currently just not worth our time to implement and support.

#11 Chase of Bass

Chase of Bass

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:36 PM

I've actually been long awaiting such a feature too.  I do understand that such an expansion would likely be costly and probably convoluted unless some sort of standard were agreed upon by both parties.  Hard to say for certain one way or the other if it would cost effective without a survey or poll of users.

As far as users asking for features, I know that there are a ton of features I would like, but I'm typically not outspoken enough to ask for them especially knowing how much effort/cost would be involved in implementation.  I imagine this is typical of users:  wanting without asking.  Particularly those that don't spend much time on the ol gmc.

That said, hypothetically were such an official extension/support developed I personally would be extremely excited and willing to pay as much as the other expansion modules sell for such as ios export for example.

I haven't tried that spine animation program yet, I'm hesitant because toon boom is my go to for complex animation/rigging.  The only reason I am considering buying spine is because that support for gm exists.

I don't know what the projected life cycle is for gm studio vs 2.0 so it may not be worth the effort at this time -but hopefully would be considered at some point.

#12 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:44 PM

oh, one thing I forgot:

just in case ;) it helps 

maybe YOYO games contacting Toon Boom company, can help with the official SDK support ;)

You already said your software is supported here.
GM imports swf files. Problem solved.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#13 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 6565 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:34 PM

I disagree, 

We are talking about 99% of 2d animation studios on the planet using Toon Boom Harmony/Storyboard software

AND they usually translate those movies/tvshows to mobile games, web games and consoles:

I don't care how popular Toon Boom is, in reality or by your claims. I made my statement based on how YoYo handled other vendor-specific integrations in the past with 1.x. Officially integrating Toon Boom before fully fledging the extensions mechanism is an inversion of priorities.

YoYo developed the SWF import around the time when Adobe began shutting down Flash. That would have been a great marketing strategy, except it didn't turn out well. A large number of SWF files didn't import properly, and while YoYo did state that "only a limited number of functionalities are supported", they never fully specified which ones (the Manual's list is incomplete according to Bugtracker accounts).

Around the same timeframe as the SWF import, YoYo also developed the Spine import. Its lifetime was plagued by bugs along the lines of bones falling apart, components not drawing properly (especially on HTML5) and "invalid JSON" errors when loading models. Now the Spine runtime built into the runners are relatively out of date, and YoYo is solely stuck with its upkeep once again without sufficient staffing to handle it.

Each time YoYo developed vendor-specific integrations by building them into the engine, the result was nothing short of headaches and long waiting lines at the Bugtracker/Helpdesk. Even when someone at YoYo addresses the bug, it has to sit in a repository waiting weeks or even months to synchronize with the next public release. Quite often the new public releases introduce bugs/features elsewhere that prevent affected users from upgrading.

The extension mechanism is the only long-term solution, but it has little documentation on it outside the realm of returning simple values. Its coverage on asynchronous callbacks, integration with the main drawing surface/audio stream/window, and other runner-level functionality is still insufficient for true general use. At this point, not even YoYo is in a good position themselves to use the extensions mechanism, let alone developers at large.

Unity won Toon Boom's favour and that of many other third-party vendors fair and square, and perhaps YoYo should learn why and act upon it.

GameGeisha

Latest Releases:
  • KameGMS --- Bring up TortoiseSVN and TortoiseGit dialogs from within the GMS IDE!

#14 themonster

themonster

Master Status

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:39 AM

I disagree, 

I don't care how popular Toon Boom is, in reality or by your claims. I made my statement based on how YoYo handled other vendor-specific integrations in the past with 1.x. Officially integrating Toon Boom before fully fledging the extensions mechanism is an inversion of priorities.

YoYo developed the SWF import around the time when Adobe began shutting down Flash. That would have been a great marketing strategy, except it didn't turn out well. A large number of SWF files didn't import properly, and while YoYo did state that "only a limited number of functionalities are supported", they never fully specified which ones (the Manual's list is incomplete according to Bugtracker accounts).

Around the same timeframe as the SWF import, YoYo also developed the Spine import. Its lifetime was plagued by bugs along the lines of bones falling apart, components not drawing properly (especially on HTML5) and "invalid JSON" errors when loading models. Now the Spine runtime built into the runners are relatively out of date, and YoYo is solely stuck with its upkeep once again without sufficient staffing to handle it.

Each time YoYo developed vendor-specific integrations by building them into the engine, the result was nothing short of headaches and long waiting lines at the Bugtracker/Helpdesk. Even when someone at YoYo addresses the bug, it has to sit in a repository waiting weeks or even months to synchronize with the next public release. Quite often the new public releases introduce bugs/features elsewhere that prevent affected users from upgrading.

The extension mechanism is the only long-term solution, but it has little documentation on it outside the realm of returning simple values. Its coverage on asynchronous callbacks, integration with the main drawing surface/audio stream/window, and other runner-level functionality is still insufficient for true general use. At this point, not even YoYo is in a good position themselves to use the extensions mechanism, let alone developers at large.

Unity won Toon Boom's favour and that of many other third-party vendors fair and square, and perhaps YoYo should learn why and act upon it.

GameGeisha

I disagree, 

GameGeisha

Thank you GameGeisha!!

This is exactly what I want to know.

#15 themonster

themonster

Master Status

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:50 AM

oh, one thing I forgot:

just in case ;) it helps 

You already said your software is supported here.
GM imports swf files. Problem solved.

yep, this will be my option or Spine........

#16 Andy

Andy

GMC Veteran

• GMC Member
  • 1988 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:38 AM

I can't help but say when I read:

You have toon boom harmony premium!?!?  lucky im still on toon boom animate pro -love it tho!

I felt it was slightly funny. The enthusiasm, mixed with the product name "toon boom harmony premium", just felt surreal to me. :lol:

Please visit my website, Andygames.com today!

#17 themonster

themonster

Master Status

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:21 AM

:lol:

#18 Chase of Bass

Chase of Bass

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:08 PM

I can't help but say when I read:

I felt it was slightly funny. The enthusiasm, mixed with the product name "toon boom harmony premium", just felt surreal to me. :lol:

i'm an enthusiastic dude lmao and that's a really expensive program so it deserved an extra punctuation mark or two

but now that you've pointed it out i hear myself sounding like a cheesy commercial from the 80's :lol:

hey ma?  what's for dinner?  toon boom harmony premium!?!?  nooooo waaayy -excellent!

#19 jimthegreat1012

jimthegreat1012

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:31 PM

Yes, I want support for Retas Pro and Toonz, too. Because as you all know, they are the industry standard in animation world wide. Studios such as Production I.G., Mad House, and even Studio Ghibli use them, along with 99% of the rest of the world.

Edited by jimthegreat1012, 16 February 2016 - 09:41 PM.

#20 themonster

themonster

Master Status

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:36 AM

Yes, I want support for Retas Pro and Toonz, too. Because as you all know, they are the industry standard in animation world wide. Studios such as Production I.G., Mad House, and even Studio Ghibli use them, along with 99% of the rest of the world.

No, they're not ;)  (scanning:...... sarcasm detected...loading weapon........3......2......1.....BOOM!!) 

#21 Karurosu

Karurosu

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:32 AM

No, they're not ;)  (scanning:...... sarcasm detected...loading weapon........3......2......1.....BOOM!!) 

lol, but what he said is actually truth. I would like support form Toon Boom too

If you´re reading this, it´s because I´m already dead. So if you want to communicate with my afterlife me,  send an email to: carlosmlg109@gmail.com -Available for hire, programmer and pixel artist-

#22 themonster

themonster

Master Status

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:29 AM

lol, but what he said is actually truth. I would like support form Toon Boom too

yes yes ;)

After reading GameGeisha's comments, the easiest/cheaper way for yoyogames to support Toon Boom is to go with the .SWF route,  improve it and better support/bugs

"A large number of SWF files didn't import properly, and while YoYo did state that "only a limited number of functionalities are supported", they never fully specified which ones (the Manual's list is incomplete according to Bugtracker accounts)."

I think we can use toon boom ;)
and they can use marketing to get new toon boom users to game maker......

is a win-win

Edited by themonster, 18 February 2016 - 04:30 AM.

#23 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2937 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:57 PM

If you find problems with the SWF rendering / files then please let us know and we will fix the issues...

We  want to support as much as possible (within limits, we will not be doing any ActionScript and there are limits to what we can do with gradients)

Russell

#24 mastergidan

mastergidan

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:23 PM

GameMaker: Studio already supports Spine... (without even Inverse Kinematics if I remember well so...) it's just not worth the time... just tell to the developers of the software that they can add support for GameMaker: Studio through Extension  and/or Shaders if they want to, since I really don't see any reason why YoYoGames guys should bother about supporting this software.

But the real question is: who would purchase a graphics software license like that? :o

If the license price was competitive with Spine license I could understand but It costs more than GameMaker: Studio itself and noone likes subscriptions (or at least not me! :lol: ).

YoYoGames has other priorities for sure: GameMaker: Studio 1.x and 2.x! (as it should be! :rolleyes: )

Said that, I've never heard about this software before but it seems to be cool! ^_^

Edited by mastergidan, 18 February 2016 - 10:42 PM.

icon_giavapps_windows_api.png icon_giavapps_midi.png icon_giavapps_proaudio.png icon_giavapps_cc.png icon_giavapps_3d.png

Giavapps Applications, Games and Extensions for various platforms.

#25 raisins

raisins

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:28 PM

The self-promotion is strong on this one.

fxYmZ6o.png

Visit my blog for GM tutorials and more! Ask.fm me a question! :D

kWb6ZYf.png  Vd9fN4l.png

#26 Chase of Bass

Chase of Bass

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 387 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:31 PM

GameMaker: Studio already supports Spine... (without even Inverse Kinematics if I remember well so...) it's just not worth the time... just tell to the developers of the software that they can add support for GameMaker: Studio through Extension  and/or Shaders if they want to, since I really don't see any reason why YoYoGames guys should bother about supporting this software.

But the real question is: who would purchase a graphics software license like that? :o

If the license price was competitive with Spine license I could understand but It costs more than GameMaker: Studio itself and noone likes subscriptions (or at least not me! :lol: ).

YoYoGames has other priorities for sure: GameMaker: Studio 1.x and 2.x! (as it should be! :rolleyes: )

Said that, I've never heard about this software before but it seems to be cool! ^_^

Not that it's really that important or anything -but they actually do have a perpetual (non subscription) license option -i hate subscription licenses too -refuse to use the current adobe cc for that reason

#27 themonster

themonster

Master Status

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:27 AM

If you find problems with the SWF rendering / files then please let us know and we will fix the issues...

We  want to support as much as possible (within limits, we will not be doing any ActionScript and there are limits to what we can do with gradients)

Russell

Thanks a lot for your answer Russell!
good to know that you at yoyo games are open to support other software

I think Toon Boom Harmony do not have any ActionScript, is a software focused on animation entirely, more powerful than Spine or Spriter Pro.

here are some of the options that the software use, just if it helps in the future:

http://docs.toonboom..._SWF_Movie.html

#28 mastergidan

mastergidan

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:54 AM

Not that it's really that important or anything -but they actually do have a perpetual (non subscription) license option -i hate subscription licenses too -refuse to use the current adobe cc for that reason

Yes, I was just talking about their perpetual license: it starts from $375 while you can get the Essential version of Spine at 69$ (instead of 89$ at the moment) and it is all you really need for making 2D Skeletal Animations since GameMaker: Studio may not support all features of the Professional version anyway.

Edited by mastergidan, 19 February 2016 - 12:56 AM.

icon_giavapps_windows_api.png icon_giavapps_midi.png icon_giavapps_proaudio.png icon_giavapps_cc.png icon_giavapps_3d.png

#29 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:41 PM

It's not about getting GM:Studio users to buy Toon Boom, it's about encouraging a significant market, Toon Boom users, to use GM:Studio.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#30 mastergidan

mastergidan

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:10 PM

It's not about getting GM:Studio users to buy Toon Boom, it's about encouraging a significant market, Toon Boom users, to use GM:Studio.

It's about the fact we already have tools for making and importing 2D Animations and YoYoGames guys shouldn't lose their time on this!  ^_^

3D Animations is another story and everything about this argument should be considered! :lol:

#31 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:36 PM

It's about the fact we already have tools for making and importing 2D Animations and YoYoGames guys shouldn't lose their time on this!  ^_^

It wouldn't be a waste of time if incorporating such a feature dramatically increased Studio sales.

You consider it a waste of time because you're not interested in this feature, therefore you won't benefit. However there is a huge number of Toon Boom customers that might be potential GM:Studio customers, if Game Maker supported it and Game Maker was marketed towards them.

The fact that you made the statements you did, suggest you are only looking at it from a perspective of adding functionality to existing customers, and not adding functionality to expand the customer base to what appears to be relatively untapped, professionals and willing to spend money on software.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#32 mastergidan

mastergidan

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:37 PM

It wouldn't be a waste of time if incorporating such a feature dramatically increased Studio sales.

You consider it a waste of time because you're not interested in this feature, therefore you won't benefit. However there is a huge number of Toon Boom customers that might be potential GM:Studio customers, if Game Maker supported it and Game Maker was marketed towards them.

The fact that you made the statements you did, suggest you are only looking at it from a perspective of adding functionality to existing customers, and not adding functionality to expand the customer base to what appears to be relatively untapped, professionals and willing to spend money on software.

Obviously I'm talking from a GameMaker: Studio user perspective and I'm just saying what I think would be better for the software itself (not for the company).

The real fact is that competitors are getting stronger and GameMaker: Studio needs other features than this. ^_^

#33 themonster

themonster

Master Status

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:38 PM

Finally somebody understand what I am talking about!!!  ::lmao:: 

Toon Boom users, that pay 2K for a software will have no problem spending money in Game Maker..... new users = more profit for yoyogames, more money for development.....

You create games and you want to sell your game, so you can make some money? right? to do what you love and pay the bills....
yoyo games need more NEW users so they can have more money for development. Hire more developers, create a bigger support team for bugs fix. and more...(just an example, I have no idea how this works)
you cannot compare the user base of Spine VS Toon Boom.

I am surprised that here in this forum nobody can see this ?  :unsure:

:rolleyes: peace! 

Edited by themonster, 22 February 2016 - 12:11 AM.

#34 roytheshort

roytheshort

The Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 539 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:39 PM

Toon Boom users, that pay 2K for a software will have no problem spending money in Game Maker..... new users = more profit for yoyogames, more money for development.....

1) They may have the money but they don't want the software. If rich people wanted to just buy anything I'd sell my toenails to Donald Trump.

2) The new users cost money to attract with various development and marketing costs. Etc. Etc.

3) Yoyogames would have to change its software for this to be viable and useful for Toon Boom users. This is unfeasible and they may lose some of their current base. 

#35 themonster

themonster

Master Status

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:42 PM

1) They may have the money but they don't want the software. If rich people wanted to just buy anything I'd sell my toenails to Donald Trump.

2) The new users cost money to attract with various development and marketing costs. Etc. Etc.

3) Yoyogames would have to change its software for this to be viable and useful for Toon Boom users. This is unfeasible and they may lose some of their current base. 

As I said before this is just an idea, can work or not, is up to Yoyogames to work this out, social media and marketing,  but I can answer you this:

1-I bought master collection because I am a toon boom user and I want to create a game out of my short film (I am not a indie developer, I just love games and animation as a hobby.)

-you do not know if people want the software, you need to show to them. "customers don't know what they want until we've shown them," Steve jobs
-You do not have to be"rich" use Toon boom (I am not rich) 
2-Using social media you will not get high cost of marketing.
3-using .SWF as a toon boom > Game Maker file exchange, can be the best option, and you do not have to change the software. 

Toon Boom is pushing game development in their user base:
https://www.toonboom...es/ben-halstead

So, is a new market, nobody knows how the users will react, I am a long toon boom user, and I have no idea about game maker until

I decide to create an animation short film + mobile game that I was looking for a software to create it, I tried Construct 2, and others, 
if you do not show them you will not know if they want the software or not......

#36 roytheshort

roytheshort

The Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 539 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:36 PM

is up to Yoyogames to work this out

A member of Yoyogames staff already said "No." They have worked it out.

This is not on our list. No one - except you, has ever asked for this. As such, it's currently just not worth our time to implement and support.

#37 themonster

themonster

Master Status

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:05 PM

is up to Yoyogames to work this out

A member of Yoyogames staff already said "No." They have worked it out.

Looks that you are very happy about that. Congrats you are a winner.

:)

Check what you have in hands:
1-.SWF file compatibility, check.
2-social media and community manager. Check.
3-you do not need anything else.
Just start promoting in social media.

Why so serious?

#38 scurvycapn

scurvycapn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:58 AM

Why so dense? The user was simply pointing out that YoYo had already determined that this is not got to happen. It's pointless to keep harping on the idea.

Also, a quick search shows that the developers of Toon Boom created the Unity plug-in, not the Unity team. If you want GameMaker support, hit up the Toon Boom devs to create an extension for the marketplace.

Edited by scurvycapn, 24 February 2016 - 02:59 AM.

#39 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:46 AM

Why so dense? The user was simply pointing out that YoYo had already determined that this is not got to happen. It's pointless to keep harping on the idea.

Also, a quick search shows that the developers of Toon Boom created the Unity plug-in, not the Unity team. If you want GameMaker support, hit up the Toon Boom devs to create an extension for the marketplace.

Because themonster is trying to put together a compelling argument in hopes that YYGs atleast considers his suggestion.

He is very much aware that Mike has said, It's not on our list and that nobody but he had suggested it.

Mike's response suggests that YYGs hasn't considered it because nobody has suggested it. That suggests that its a feature not in demand by current users. But this suggestion is about expanding Studio's market into an area that YYG hadn't considered, that might be a good fit. This explains why it hasn't been asked for.

And Roy is being an irritant. He is not addressing any points that TheMonster is making, he's basically telling him to shutup as they've made there decisin.

While it's possible Mike's decision has been made, it's also possible that given some compelling arguments, he might see in fact that there might be a market that they hadn't considered.

If Roy want's to actually address some of the points themonster is making, he should. But trying to shut him down by pointing out what Mike has said is a bigger problem. 

The fact that Toon Boom ha made a Unity Plug in does show there could be a Market. And while an extension might add some functionality, there are also a lot of internals that are not exposed preventing extensions full access.

I don't know if trying to go after Toon Boom is worth the resources or not. But it's a new idea that has likely not been considered before. Like all new ideas, it's expected that it hasn't been asked for before.

#40 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 6565 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:26 AM

The fact that Toon Boom ha made a Unity Plug in does show there could be a Market. And while an extension might add some functionality, there are also a lot of internals that are not exposed preventing extensions full access.

I don't know if trying to go after Toon Boom is worth the resources or not. But it's a new idea that has likely not been considered before. Like all new ideas, it's expected that it hasn't been asked for before.

This market has always been in the clear. Better documentation and integration possibilities for the extension mechanism have always been on the table. But YoYo isn't taking it as seriously as they should have.

GM8 had a vibrant extension development scene because its entry points to the runner's audio stream and video buffers are known. We had a plethora of audio and video DLLs, even a full integration with OGRE. There's nothing vibrant about the equivalent for GMS.

When 1.3 was released, I asked for a dedicated asynchronous extension event to be implemented, as per its helpdesk documentation. Two years down the road, no action. Still sitting on its laurels with the Social event hack that only works on Android and iOS.

The helpdesk documentation stops at how to return strings and reals from extensions, plus hacking the Social event from Android and iOS. That's not nearly enough for a proper extension mechanism. Still no official way to access to the audio stream, application surface buffer, asynchronous events, script callbacks on HTML5, the window on Ubuntu, or the layout and intent/action callbacks on Android/iOS.

Nowadays you hardly ever come by any advertisement, mobile media or portal startup without an extension for Unity or a competitor of GMS at release time. They were smart and prioritized extensibility. GMS 1.x tried building stuff in, how well did that turn out?

Proper extension support shouldn't have waited, and now it absolutely can't.

GameGeisha

Latest Releases: