Jump to content


Photo

Box Hound [Metal Gear Solid fan game]

desktop rpg arcade action

  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 strangastudios

strangastudios

    GMC Member

  • GMC Member
  • 129 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:38 AM

This is an old game I was working on which I transformed it into Narvas 13. Since I can't make any profit from this (because Konami will kick my A$$ if I do) everything will be free I just want to get my name out there and promote my ORIGINAL game Narvas 13.
 
I also appreciate all the help im getting from the developers who are helping me make this.

Please let me know your thoughts :)
 
Screenshots
Spoiler

 
P.S this is still the old alpha will have the one in the screenshots uploaded soon!
Download: http://www.indiedb.c...hound/downloads
 
 

Edited by strangastudios, 03 March 2016 - 03:11 AM.

  • 0

new_sig.jpg

Narvas 13: http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=682557&hl=  <-TRY OUT MY LATEST ALPHA GAME!

Website:http://strangagames.webs.com/    


#2 Simon_Mitchison

Simon_Mitchison

    GMC Member

  • GMC Member
  • 53 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:00 PM

Wow. This looks great. Metal Gear Solid is my favorite game. :) I'd be happy to help you out with development on this project in my spare time. Where are you at with development?


  • 1

Team Request

:rambo Do you have the GML programming skills to build a solid puzzle game engine? "Yes Sir, I do" Then join the team developing Super Chroma to prove it. Contact me at simon.mitchison@outlook.com if you want to help.  :rambo 


#3 strangastudios

strangastudios

    GMC Member

  • GMC Member
  • 129 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:02 PM

Wow. This looks great. Metal Gear Solid is my favorite game. :) I'd be happy to help you out with development on this project in my spare time. Where are you at with development?

Wow thanks well I am at the bare scratch beginning what I visioned for the game was like the VR missions but using actual levels in the game so picture the fist level played over and over and each level getting harder than the next eg.(next level has more soldiers and video cameras) I need coding for enemy AI with paths and such pm me if your interested anyone can help :)


  • 0

new_sig.jpg

Narvas 13: http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=682557&hl=  <-TRY OUT MY LATEST ALPHA GAME!

Website:http://strangagames.webs.com/    


#4 Simon_Mitchison

Simon_Mitchison

    GMC Member

  • GMC Member
  • 53 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:27 PM

Sounds great. Loads of potential in this for a really fun fan game. You could have all sorts of cool mini missions played out on the actual levels from the original game. I'm thinking bomb disposal missions, surveillance and intel gathering missions, as well as the standard VR mission stuff.

 

There is even potential for a spiritual prequel to the original Metal Gear Solid. You could set the game just before the story of Metal Gear Solid begins. Have a small team of US army soldiers stationed on at the facility make a last ditch attempt to take back Shadow Moses from the attack by next-generation special forces (led by members of Foxhound) lol. Maybe I'm getting carried away. 

 

I would imagine AI paths would be pretty tricky for stealth games like this as it's integral to the gameplay. A lot of planning would be requires for each level. Have you played the Gameboy version of Metal Gear or any of the original 2d games? Playing those games with a would definately provide some inspiration. The Gameboy game had loads of sweet VR missions.


  • 1

Team Request

:rambo Do you have the GML programming skills to build a solid puzzle game engine? "Yes Sir, I do" Then join the team developing Super Chroma to prove it. Contact me at simon.mitchison@outlook.com if you want to help.  :rambo 


#5 strangastudios

strangastudios

    GMC Member

  • GMC Member
  • 129 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:32 PM

Sounds great. Loads of potential in this for a really fun fan game. You could have all sorts of cool mini missions played out on the actual levels from the original game. I'm thinking bomb disposal missions, surveillance and intel gathering missions, as well as the standard VR mission stuff.

 

There is even potential for a spiritual prequel to the original Metal Gear Solid. You could set the game just before the story of Metal Gear Solid begins. Have a small team of US army soldiers stationed on at the facility make a last ditch attempt to take back Shadow Moses from the attack by next-generation special forces (led by members of Foxhound) lol. Maybe I'm getting carried away. 

 

I would imagine AI paths would be pretty tricky for stealth games like this as it's integral to the gameplay. A lot of planning would be requires for each level. Have you played the Gameboy version of Metal Gear or any of the original 2d games? Playing those games with a would definately provide some inspiration. The Gameboy game had loads of sweet VR missions.

That's a lot of ambition!  But im up for it like I said this project was going to be buried anyway so I want see how far this gets. Yes I have played the gameboy versions and loved them!! The AI sounds a bit tricky but need to make some sort of patrol system I want to focus more on the art and graphics making it look like a gameboy / pokemon style game. 


  • 0

new_sig.jpg

Narvas 13: http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=682557&hl=  <-TRY OUT MY LATEST ALPHA GAME!

Website:http://strangagames.webs.com/    


#6 kangaroodev

kangaroodev

    GMC Member

  • New Member
  • 14 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 February 2016 - 11:11 PM

If this is what was before narvas 13 I have to try it and see the differences in them, I didn't play the GBC version of metal gear though so I'm not familiar with that. But maybe you can look at the gbc version of MG and try to imitate the color palette, so it looks similar.

 

As for the AI I can suggest an alternative if you don't wanna get your hands dirty with a path system, something easy:

 

Make several 'waypoint' objects, players can move towards these objects. Connect all the waypoints to each other, so each waypoint will know the neighbor waypoints. And then you can assign each waypoint a chance to make the player move to a neighbour. A 90% chance to move to a next neighbor forward, and 10% back, in a square-ish pattern would sometimes make the one following that square path turn back as a surprise element.

 

This would require no paths and you can place them anywhere you want, this is of course if you don't want to use paths, in case you want to make a patrol system with paths that would be better.


Edited by kangaroodev, 21 February 2016 - 01:23 AM.

  • 1

Etheria Offline:

BLOG link  Thread Link IndieDB link

etheriasig.png


#7 tommah

tommah

    GMC Member

  • GMC Member
  • 275 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:27 PM

I loved all the original Metal Gear/MGS games and would love to help out in any way I could.  I couldn't figure out how to actually use the box though, seemed to work at random.


  • 1

#8 strangastudios

strangastudios

    GMC Member

  • GMC Member
  • 129 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:52 AM

If this is what was before narvas 13 I have to try it and see the differences in them, I didn't play the GBC version of metal gear though so I'm not familiar with that. But maybe you can look at the gbc version of MG and try to imitate the color palette, so it looks similar.

 

As for the AI I can suggest an alternative if you don't wanna get your hands dirty with a path system, something easy:

 

Make several 'waypoint' objects, players can move towards these objects. Connect all the waypoints to each other, so each waypoint will know the neighbor waypoints. And then you can assign each waypoint a chance to make the player move to a neighbour. A 90% chance to move to a next neighbor forward, and 10% back, in a square-ish pattern would sometimes make the one following that square path turn back as a surprise element.

 

This would require no paths and you can place them anywhere you want, this is of course if you don't want to use paths, in case you want to make a patrol system with paths that would be better.

Yes you guessed it! This was the making of Narvas 13, I still have the graphics in the Narvas 13gmx. I have played the GBC versions and had a look at the color palette but I was going for more of the playstation one version. 

 

I like your idea with the way point system only thing is implementing a system when you get found! I think that may be harder then if your hidden for a while they go back to patrolling. And yes paths would be a nightmare!


I loved all the original Metal Gear/MGS games and would love to help out in any way I could.  I couldn't figure out how to actually use the box though, seemed to work at random.

Awesome! if you would like to help send me a pm and I will send the gmx :)


  • 0

new_sig.jpg

Narvas 13: http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=682557&hl=  <-TRY OUT MY LATEST ALPHA GAME!

Website:http://strangagames.webs.com/    


#9 kangaroodev

kangaroodev

    GMC Member

  • New Member
  • 14 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:27 PM

Woah, I know I'm a bit late to respond on this, had some internet problems for a week and a bit. Just opened it but I can't figure out the keys, maybe I'm a bit stupid but could you list the controls? I'm stuck right in the first room so I suck.


  • 1

Etheria Offline:

BLOG link  Thread Link IndieDB link

etheriasig.png


#10 tommah

tommah

    GMC Member

  • GMC Member
  • 275 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 March 2016 - 02:23 AM

I hope Stranga doesn't mind me posting this but I've been working with him on Box Hound and here is a current photo of the progress.

 

ec0800abd2a4ede8f9b345100d83aa08.png

 

@kangaroo There really is only one room, its VERY early stages.


  • 1

#11 mcpeboss47

mcpeboss47

    GMC Member

  • New Member
  • 1 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:50 AM

This looks amazing please continue work on this!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:


Edited by mcpeboss47, 18 March 2016 - 08:50 AM.

  • 1

#12 tommah

tommah

    GMC Member

  • GMC Member
  • 275 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:13 PM

We plan to.  Already have the grapple, shooting, and alert system functional.


  • 1

#13 strangastudios

strangastudios

    GMC Member

  • GMC Member
  • 129 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:17 AM

I don't mind at all I haven't had time to update the topic. Thanks  tommah!


  • 0

new_sig.jpg

Narvas 13: http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=682557&hl=  <-TRY OUT MY LATEST ALPHA GAME!

Website:http://strangagames.webs.com/    






Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: desktop, rpg, arcade, action