#1 Whystler

Whystler

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 23 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:41 AM

Long time no chat!

I did a search for RFID and didn't find a discussion about this.

Has anyone tried, or thought about a way to integrate a USB RFID reader as an input for gamemaker?

I have an application to use GameMaker as a tech tool for my live escape room facility.  But I do need it to be able to read from a usb rfid reader.  I don't yet have the reader, but I'm researching its possibilities.

Any thoughts?

-Whystler

Edited by Whystler, 09 February 2016 - 03:41 AM.

#2 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 6565 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:49 AM

First, you should research whether it is programmable. Once you find its API, you can then decide whether to learn to integrate it yourself as an extension, or find someone else with expertise in the API's language to do it for you.

GameGeisha

Latest Releases:
  • GMLinear --- Matrix and vector math in one line!
  • GMAssert --- Debug invalid values and write quick unit tests with ease!
  • KameGMS --- Bring up TortoiseSVN and TortoiseGit dialogs from within the GMS IDE!
  • JSOnion v1.1 --- The stink-free way to handle JSON! (even deeply nested ones)

#3 Whystler

Whystler

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 23 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:56 AM

One USB RFID reader I've found works like you might expect a keyboard to.  For example, if you had the default windows notepad open, you would get the numerical hex-code that identifies the RFID tag printed out when you passed the tag over the reader.

So really, if I had gamemaker looking for a character string input it ... it might work?  My work in gamemaker is limited.  But if you talented and experienced folks think this is straightforward and easy enough for a dabbler like me, I would love to hear it.  Or if it's otherwise, I should know that too lol.

Actually, I'm ... thinking ... this might be the wrong forum for me to post since I'm not an experienced GML coder.  My apologies if you have to move it.

-Whystler

Edited by Whystler, 09 February 2016 - 04:56 AM.

#4 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 6565 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:03 AM

See if the input can make it into keyboard_string. If it can, then it looks like an open-and-shut case for you.

GameGeisha

Latest Releases:
  • GMLinear --- Matrix and vector math in one line!
  • GMAssert --- Debug invalid values and write quick unit tests with ease!
  • KameGMS --- Bring up TortoiseSVN and TortoiseGit dialogs from within the GMS IDE!
  • JSOnion v1.1 --- The stink-free way to handle JSON! (even deeply nested ones)