Photo

custom debugging

Best Answer Surgeon_, 02 February 2016 - 09:29 PM

It is possible to get an instance list of its variables

Well, in short, no. Not unless you make your own script for manually drawing all the required variables.

and if not what else could I try to fine tune variables in-game?

What I use for custom debugging / testing / tweaking during runtime is my own String Parser, combined with get_string() function. It's not as versatile as it would be if Game Maker was still an interpreted language, but it's as close as you can get in a compiled language...

-Surgeon_

Go to the full post

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ruub

Ruub

Finn The Human

• GMC Member
  • 762 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:34 PM

Gamemaker has an interesting debug tool and while it's useful, I'd prefer something a little bit more custom/specified.

My main incentive is to quickly change variables of objects to fine-tune their e.g. speed or alarms. I'd like to do this as clever as possible and I think

the best way to go is to see the list of variables an instance has and be able to change them, including instance variables (power = 10;) rather than just

built in variables.

It is possible to get an instance list of its variables and if not what else could I try to fine tune variables in-game?

Cheers!

ps: It would look a bit like the more known debug consoles:

96681839.jpg

Edited by Ruub, 01 February 2016 - 01:40 PM.

#2 Surgeon_

Surgeon_

Loves Symbian

• GMC Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:29 PM   Best Answer

Well, in short, no. Not unless you make your own script for manually drawing all the required variables.

What I use for custom debugging / testing / tweaking during runtime is my own String Parser, combined with get_string() function. It's not as versatile as it would be if Game Maker was still an interpreted language, but it's as close as you can get in a compiled language...

-Surgeon_

Edited by Surgeon_, 02 February 2016 - 09:29 PM.

Mercury Engine - 2D, grid-based Worlds - with built-in collision checking, tile animation and dynamic lighting.

NSP 2 - A (better) GML String Parser  - if you ever missed execute_string(...)

Possibly a link to my new Profile page - and possibly not

#3 Ruub

Ruub

Finn The Human

• GMC Member
  • 762 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:07 PM

-Surgeon_

Thanks Surgeon, you parser looks cool. I'll come up with something :)