• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Over50club

Over50club

GMC Member

• 3 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:07 PM

Good afternoon everyone,  This is my first post here and I'm seeking advice on this software, I would like you to be as honest as possible, I can take criticism as long as you're not offensive.  First let me fill in the details.

I am a long time gamer, I'm over 50 (yes, I'm that old) and I've been gaming since the 1970's.  However I have never done any programming or game creating whatsoever and in that respect I am as "newbie" as they come. 

A friend gifted me GameMaker Studio on steam for christmas, using the line "You keep telling me how great old games are, now you can make some and show me!" was a joke really and I never thought of seriously using it until this week, I figured why not give it a go?  But before I try, I thought I'd join the forums and get some expert feedback from you people. 

I'll be totally frank here, I don't expect to be able to use this at all, I have never done programming, heck my DVD player baffles me at times and I'm not quick to learn things.  also my schooling was a disaster of epic proportions, I failed all my exams back in the late 1970's and when it comes to mathematics, anything over adding and subtraction and its over my head. 

So, I'm wondering, should I really give this a go?  I mean I know its going to be a disaster and I'm not likely to create anything worthwhile, so am I wasting my time?  Can a schooling failure actually program software?  I wouldn't have thought it possible but I'm eager to read your thoughts on the prospect.

(Thanks for reading this far, yes I tend to waffle on and on, sorry about that)

#2 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:08 PM

(snip) Can a schooling failure actually program software?  (snip)

No, but they can form billion dollar companies that control most of the world's software.  

Seriously, what do you expect people to say?  "No, you can't do it?"  Of course you can do it.   Just download a few tutorials and play around with them.

#3 Over50club

Over50club

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:11 PM

(snip) Can a schooling failure actually program software?  (snip)

No, but they can form billion dollar companies that control most of the world's software.  

Seriously, what do you expect people to say?  "No, you can't do it?"  Of course you can do it.   Just download a few tutorials and play around with them.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you.  I just wondered if its truly possible to use this when you've never programmed, aren't very bright and are slow to learn things tech related.

#4 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:27 PM

You didn't offend anybody.  But the answer is "yes".   Lots of people with no programming experience have learned to use GameMaker.

Either way, just try it.  That's the best only way to answer your question.

#5 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:03 PM

Looks like you've already decided you won't be successful, so no, don't bother.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#6 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:12 PM

All I can say is that if you're looking to get started in programming and game design, you couldn't have picked a better place to start than Game Maker.
iPqfGiP.png

#7 Over50club

Over50club

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:32 PM

Looks like you've already decided you won't be successful, so no, don't bother.

Thanks, I appreciate your honesty.

#8 Binsk

Binsk

-Insane Kid-

• GMC Member
  • 3111 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:11 PM

Eh, take what NPT says with a grain of salt. He's kinda known around here for repeating the author's implications in a harsh manner, even if they don't realize it was themselves who essentially wrote what he states.

The main thing about programming is that you need to know how to research and problem-solve. You research to learn things you need to know, and problem solve to figure out how to apply them.

I started in 2004 when I was 13. I obviously hadn't had any super complex math at that point and was completely able to make enjoyable puzzle and maze games within a few weeks (Even made a Mario clone). Looking back, they are embarrassingly bad, but I learned a lot and enjoyed the outcome at the time (and it was fun, which is what matters with a game anyway).

If you are willing to learn and take time to look things up and experiment, I don't think you will have any trouble making games. Specifically since you mentioned old games (things like Space Invaders, Pong, or even the NES Mario games), you won't even have do delve into more complex math. 

As others have said, you won't know until you try. Give it a shot and see if you like it. If you don't enjoy it, fair enough. If you do, you will find the time to improve.

Edited by Binsk, 19 January 2016 - 10:13 PM.

NEWS FLASH! You can't get to heaven by your works. No chance. Hopeless. Give up now. No amount of works will get you anywhere, in fact all your efforts have been botched years ago because you already missed perfection the first time you lied, stole, or performed any of those other lovelies.

That said, do you want to go to heaven? Not the hellish picture given by cartoons. You know, the nightmarish one where you are renting a cloud and harp? I mean, holy crap, where did that come from? I am talking about a bonafide city, people, designed by God no less. Heck, read John's Revelation 21 if you want details. Getting to heaven is extremely simple, actually, the how and why is spelled out in Paul's letter to the Romans, summarized in Romans 10:9,10. God lived a perfect life and died in your place, covering every one of your mistakes and failures past and future. All you have to do is believe that He did what he said He did and accept the gift. Bam, you're saved. Done deal. Complicated, no? Questions? PM me.

#9 ericbomb988878

ericbomb988878

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:18 PM

I started when I was in 6th grade. I had no idea how to use variables. Do you know how hard it is to make a game without using variables? My problem solving skills were intense.

Anyway, if a 6th grader that was terrible at reading could figure it out, I'm sure you can if you try. 

Trying is the key, if you try, you'll succeed. If you don't, you will fail. If you fail it's because you didn't try.

Read the tutorials, experiment, and try to have fun.

When I was young I wanted there to be a game like Pokemon but had combat like Super smash brothers.... Never found one. So now I'm making my own http://gmc.yoyogames...86#entry4910159

#10 Loaf

Loaf

Just loafing around

• GMC:Member
  • 2164 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:32 PM

I started when I was in 6th grade. I had no idea how to use variables. Do you know how hard it is to make a game without using variables? My problem solving skills were intense.

Me too, except I was about 10 at the time.

As long as you have a passion for game creation and you have some basic knowledge of how to work a computer, you're good to go. You have to start from scratch like everyone else. GameMaker is unique in that it serves entry level users and advance game designers, and so there are a lot of people who here started with no programming knowledge at all.

EDIT:  Just thought I'd add, re: the schooling thing;  you don't need to know any advance maths to make games, but multiplying and dividing are skills you should have. If you want to learn, try the Khan Academy. It's a fun way to learn at your own pace in your own time, you can start from the absolute basics of elementary school maths if you like. I used the Khan Academy to get up to pace with algebra and calculus before uni.

Edited by Loaf, 19 January 2016 - 10:36 PM.

:duck:

#11 Menelaus

Menelaus

GMC Member

• 17 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:37 PM

Give it a try but prepare to fail, I did lol.  I've had the software about 4 months and even after buying 2 books and purchasing a udemy course for beginners it was still over my head and I've now uninstalled it. 

#12 Loaf

Loaf

Just loafing around

• GMC:Member
  • 2164 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:42 PM

Give it a try but prepare to fail, I did lol.  I've had the software about 4 months and even after buying 2 books and purchasing a udemy course for beginners it was still over my head and I've now uninstalled it. 

Respectfully I think you approached it the wrong way. Don't buy books and take courses, it's boring and you'll forget half of what you read. 

GameMaker is gorgeous to learn because you can jump in straight away and move to GML at a pace that suits you. 

The people who started as children and now know GameMaker inside-out are the ones who started working with it with no hesitation, downloading examples and asking questions. 

Since you are still at this forum I hope that means you plan on giving the tool another try. We're all here to help you know! Learning GameMaker isn't a solo mission.

:duck:

#13 ericbomb988878

ericbomb988878

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:46 AM

I must agree, how i learned was a bit odd.

I picked a project said "I'm gonna do that" and well.... did it. I had to look up tutorials, examples, and used google a lot (much better at searching than the forums search tool) but that's how I learned, it was fun and rewarding. 

When I was young I wanted there to be a game like Pokemon but had combat like Super smash brothers.... Never found one. So now I'm making my own http://gmc.yoyogames...86#entry4910159

#14 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:54 PM

You can definitely do it, and should. You'll have a lot of fun making old-school arcade style games, and you'll be surprised how easily it comes to you. GameMaker is great because it takes care of a lot of boiler-plate stuff for you. Please try it for a few weeks at least; I think you'll find a very rewarding new hobby for yourself. :)

#15 FROGANUS

FROGANUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:57 PM

Hey, I'm also a fairly oldskewl gamer/designer, and I'll say- it's not hard to get into.

Between Gamemaker's built in guide, YoYo's community, and YouTube vids, there are LOTS of resources - you just have to be RESOURCEFUL. If you're good at searching these resources you can learn anything.

I first got hooked in after finding Shaun Spalding's tutorials on youtube which are very patient, clear, & thorough. Really made me confident enough to dive in:

https://www.youtube....h?v=hzMNunoPd0o(24 minutes- basic overview of program and elements)

https://www.youtube....h?v=7XDcSXVUGsE(34 minutes- starting a topdown spaceflying ship from scratch)

https://www.youtube....h?v=IysShLIaosk(26 minutes- starting a side-scroll platformer from scratch)

-FROGANUS

#16 Xer0botXer0

Xer0botXer0

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 770 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:26 AM

Any tool is useless if you have no purpose for it.

Game design before game creation, if you've got no design, you've no need for learning to use the tools.

How ever knowing your tools allows you to understand the scope of your ability for tools are extensions of yourself.

In your fifty odd years you should have some form or manner whether recognized globally or rather personally, on how to create a game design document, which is simply an organized collection of ideas that's put together..with a goal in mind. And this document is there for guideline.

Your steam friend said you love your old games, so why not design something, draw it up, get a white board, connect the ideas and come up with something original.

Why ?

Well perhaps just to show this steam friend that you went and made a game, as a joke.

Or to create a game that should've existed in that time but didn't because only until know has man, tool and that game idea come together !

In regards to learning, 

Good luck, read the manual when you don't understand something, and regulate the forums for greater understanding and forward progress. 

//=====================

Good bye, Farewell GMC! :D

See you all in the next TIER!

======================\\

#17 Cpaz

Cpaz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:37 PM

[snip] you won't know until you try. [/snip]

My motto for life, nuff said.

Check out my projects:
In "Progress":
ARANA (Top-down, hack 'n slash, rpg-thing)
Fast Action Heroine (Side scrolling, action, platformer)