119 replies to this topic

#101 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:24 PM

Guys, we can't comment on this kind of thing.... So there's no point in speculating.

Don't you mean Guy (singular).

There was only one person commenting on 2.0. The other one (Me), said: "It is common knowledge by the regulars around here that 2.x discussion is unwelcome. Your speculative discussion on 2.0 based on this pi is wrong and silly and won't be accommodated by the forum staff."

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#102 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 11:57 PM

Programs (games, apps, whatever) don't talk to hardware, they talk to the OS and other APIs.

To clarify this a bit... an OS backend (kernel, drivers, etc) and the GUI frontend (windows, desktop, etc) isn't the same thing. In order to use a computer at all, you need some sort of OS, but it can be just the bare essentials - e.g. the Linux kernel plus the appropriate drivers for all stuff you need to use (keyboard, for instance).

I've done a bit of computer science course stuff on a Pi running Raspian, and I plugged it into my computer and ran stuff on it via a terminal emulator. (FileZilla to transfer files, PuTTY to have a remote console session on the Pi). TLDR the Linux version of the command prompt was the only user interface you were going to get at that point.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#103 Bcm27

Bcm27

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:42 AM

Is this still a thing? Id love to work with Pis and GM

- Bcm27 -

#104 Alpaca

Alpaca

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 47 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:40 AM

Is this still a thing? Id love to work with Pis and GM

Never was a thing (outside of Mikes computer).

#105 MNchino

MNchino

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:32 AM

Sorry, I know little about GameMaker or Raspberry Pi.

Won't you be able to use the upcoming Windows 10 UWP platform export to get it on the Pi?  

I thought the UWP worked with IoT devices, and there is a raspberry pi Windows 10 IoT...  You would also be able to probably export games to things like C.H.I.P. in that regard.

Do I have something wrong?

Thanks

Edited by MNchino, 24 February 2016 - 04:08 AM.

#106 Mornedil

Mornedil

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1450 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:09 AM

If anyone is interested, http://thepihut.com/will add more Raspberry Pi Zero to their stock today (Feb 24th) at 09:00 AM GMT and 07:00 PM GMT.

Not sure if they're the best resellers or anything, but as far as I understand the demand of Raspberry Pi Zero far outweighs the supply.

~ Pause systems for your games ~

EasyPauseIcon.png                   icon_medium.png

#107 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:53 PM

Won't you be able to use the upcoming Windows 10 UWP platform export to get it on the Pi?  

Yes, we have in fact done this. But! As it has no hardware based DirectX, it's incredibly slow. Native under Linux is by far the best way so far....

#108 Greg Squire

Greg Squire

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:38 PM

Okay I'm a bit late to the party, but I wanted to throw in my two cents. I also like the idea of having a Raspberry Pi export. I don't think there's a commercial market for selling your game on that platform (and maybe not ever, as it's more of a "maker platform"). However I like the idea for a few reasons.

First is just simply because it's cool!

Second is that it could open up some more doors for makers, embedded games, and other interesting contraptions. For instance, you could make a game where an old exercise bike is used as the controller (something akin to the old Paper Boy arcade game maybe).

Lastly it could be used in arcade cabinets, like this one. https://gameroomsolu...ade-kit-deluxe/

I think it would be cool to see your game running in an arcade cabinet. Granted you could do that now, but you'd have to have a more expensive computer (mini-ITX board or the like) running inside.

A few days ago, I was talking to some of my indie game dev friends and they had talked about the possibility of showing off their games at conventions inside of arcade cabinets. Still a bit costly, but running them on a Pi could help bring those costs down.

#109 bluedevil9981

bluedevil9981

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:52 PM

If anyone is interested, http://thepihut.com/will add more Raspberry Pi Zero to their stock today (Feb 24th) at 09:00 AM GMT and 07:00 PM GMT.

Not sure if they're the best resellers or anything, but as far as I understand the demand of Raspberry Pi Zero far outweighs the supply.

I saw that tweet and decided to start using http://whereismypizero.com/to keep track of stocks. A day later I see Pimoroni has them in stock and I picked myself up a small bundle as the bare board was out already.

Think I'm going to hook a speaker into it and set it on a loop playing creepy noises somewhere in my roommate's air ducts. >:D

#110 jackhigh24

jackhigh24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1346 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:58 PM

raspberry Pi 3 with arm 8 bluetooth and wifi and better processor http://uk.rs-online....t-kits/8968660/and only a couple of quid more

#111 bluedevil9981

bluedevil9981

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:02 PM

raspberry Pi 3 with arm 8 bluetooth and wifi and better processor http://uk.rs-online....t-kits/8968660/and only a couple of quid more

:0

#112 Karurosu

Karurosu

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:42 PM

Is quite an improvement over the last... but low specs arent my kind of thing. 

I would buy a PI with at least an a57 and  2gb lpddr4

Edited by Karurosu, 29 February 2016 - 07:44 PM.

If you´re reading this, it´s because I´m already dead. So if you want to communicate with my afterlife me,  send an email to: carlosmlg109@gmail.com -Available for hire, programmer and pixel artist-

#113 bluedevil9981

bluedevil9981

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:53 PM

Is quite an improvement over the last... but low specs arent my kind of thing. 

I would buy a PI with at least an a57 and  2gb lpddr4

Make a cluster. May not be all too great for general computing, but if you need to make use of a bunch of (cheap) cores its perfect.

#114 Player Zero

Player Zero

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:18 PM

I didn't notice this thread till now, but if GM:S export to Pi became a reality, I'd buy a Pi just for it.  The Pi 3 specs are pretty impressive.

#115 bluedevil9981

bluedevil9981

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:32 PM

I didn't notice this thread till now, but if GM:S export to Pi became a reality, I'd buy a Pi just for it.  The Pi 3 specs are pretty impressive.

Just ordered one the other day. Its backlogged as of now unfortunately. One thing I wish it had more of was working memory - I do hope their next model expands on that front.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, though if this export comes out...

#116 oldschool_wolf

oldschool_wolf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:54 PM

I recently bought a pi kit, turned it into a little retro gaming console.

How much would the export cost?

6756160_orig.png

#117 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3029 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:55 PM

The export module isn't even confirmed to be released yet, doubt they have a cost yet

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."

(Chinese axiom)

#118 Karurosu

Karurosu

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:46 PM

The export module isn't even confirmed to be released yet, doubt they have a cost yet

Seems like the free games pack didnt make well...

If you´re reading this, it´s because I´m already dead. So if you want to communicate with my afterlife me,  send an email to: carlosmlg109@gmail.com -Available for hire, programmer and pixel artist-

#119 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:03 PM

Seems like the free games pack didnt make well...

I know I'm going to regret asking this, but........

On what basis are you drawing this conclusion?

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#120 mediapire

mediapire

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:19 PM

I love the idea of this. The possibilities of creating your own game cabinet is stellar! Oh and I like anything that supports Linux.