119 replies to this topic

#1 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:03 AM

Can you please vote in this poll, and re-tweet if you can (no matter what your vote). I need as many opinions as possible. Many thanks.

https://twitter.com/...829541658284033

#2 FatalSleep

FatalSleep

FatalSheep?

• GMC Member
  • 3974 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:06 AM

Done. I'd definitely like to see this happen.

#3 lillbubs

lillbubs

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:16 AM

Done

#4 mr magnus

mr magnus

Viking King

• GMC Member
  • 3739 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:58 AM

It would be pretty nice; I could invest in a Rasberry Pi and create a cheap custom Arcade Cabinet. :P

#5 dkcas11

dkcas11

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 310 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:41 AM

Not a huge fan of Raspberry Pi, but i'd love to see tvOS though :)

icon114_ios-1.png    icon114_ios-2.png    icon114_ios.png

Fly Little Plane!                Swing Kites              Escaping Blocks

#6 Nexusrex

Nexusrex

WRYYYY!

• GMC Member
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:13 AM

That would be great..But i couldn't get the raspberry pi..As it's expensive..

#7 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:17 AM

I've wanted to get a Pi for a while now, just don't have the money(yes, yes, I'm quite poor)

If GM could export to it, I'd probably try and make my own little arcade cabinet too.

I'M SORRY, THEY MADE A $5 VERSION!?!?

I'M BUYING ONE RIGHT NOW

NO I'M NOT! (they're sold out. :crying:)

Edited by Lukan Spellweaver, 18 January 2016 - 11:27 AM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#8 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:41 PM

Pretty even spread. you probably should have it anyway

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#9 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:53 PM

Please add a "yes, playing" vote for me (I am not on Twitter and prefer not to join).

#10 ThePC007

ThePC007

Chickenator

• GMC Member
  • 1062 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:54 PM

Pretty even spread. you probably should have it anyway

It's not even spread if you add the first two options together, as they both say "yes", after all. The amount of people who voted "no" still surprises me, but I guess not everybody in the world is interested in raspberry pi's. 

#11 rui.rosario

rui.rosario

Membery Member

• GMC Member
  • 519 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:15 PM

It would enable the release of custom "consoles" for game hubs developed with GM:S..... or just customizable game experiences, so definitely YES

Remember me as the one who can't be remembered

#12 legendchew

legendchew

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:35 AM

YES. Please add it. This helps program the hardware much easier. 

#13 Xer0botXer0

Xer0botXer0

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 770 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:45 PM

I've worked with raspberry PI, I've a borrowed one at home and was made to read a book about it that I sadly do not have anymore. 

I read about this on your blog and I think it's an amazing idea.. There's a huge store somewhere Im not sure where that had a bunch of these. And it looks like such an experience to work with them. And the opportunities are endless! 

//=====================

Good bye, Farewell GMC! :D

See you all in the next TIER!

======================\\

#14 Mocgames998

Mocgames998

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:15 PM

Yes, oh yes.

???

It looks like I can finally put something here, before the GMC goes down:

Spoiler

#15 jackhigh24

jackhigh24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1346 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:15 PM

ok iv voted yes as i can see the potential to make a very lot of money in the UK with that, a lot more than can be made with the other exports, this needs to happen, if not il have to kidnap mike to teach me how he did it in that blog, then no one will get GMS2, go vote for it as i cant believe more have said no than yes, do they not see the potential here, this will open a niche that has virtually no competition so we can all make moneys. 

Edited by jackhigh24, 21 January 2016 - 04:16 PM.

#16 officialhopsof

officialhopsof

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:59 PM

I know it might align well with your educational goals, but me being selfish, I would say give it a miss. I would rather see GMS 2 a little sooner, or more bug fixes.

#17 jackhigh24

jackhigh24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1346 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 04:17 PM

I know it might align well with your educational goals, but me being selfish, I would say give it a miss. I would rather see GMS 2 a little sooner, or more bug fixes.

have you not read mikes comments on this, he has made this for us in his spare time, so it wont effect GMS 2 or any other thing to do with GMS development, and as there are hardly any games on the Pi then we could have the biggest opportunity we could ever have flushed away, so voting no or yes wont effect the things you just mentioned at all.

#18 Karurosu

Karurosu

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 05:34 PM

emm h

have you not read mikes comments on this, he has made this for us in his spare time, so it wont effect GMS 2 or any other thing to do with GMS development, and as there are hardly any games on the Pi then we could have the biggest opportunity we could ever have flushed away, so voting no or yes wont effect the things you just mentioned at all.

emm so what about about rasperry pi sales?

Edited by Karurosu, 23 January 2016 - 05:35 PM.

If you´re reading this, it´s because I´m already dead. So if you want to communicate with my afterlife me,  send an email to: carlosmlg109@gmail.com -Available for hire, programmer and pixel artist-

#19 KurtBlissZ

KurtBlissZ

GMC noob

• GMC Member
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 05:55 PM

Being able to export on the PI would be awesome! 

#20 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:15 PM

emm h

emm so what about about rasperry pi sales?

1) Thanks for you opinion - no matter what you think, honest opinions are important to get a true picture!

2) yes... currently all done in my spare time. And I do admit it's "currently".

3) Currently at 7million I believe, and climbing fast! But then...many folk buy multiple devices, and many buy for tech toys. No idea on numbers of "users". We'll be looking to try and get those figures soon.

#21 Nexusrex

Nexusrex

WRYYYY!

• GMC Member
  • 637 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:19 PM

It would be really interesting..If i could get a Rpi..Modify it a bit (At least..Make a little console, without soldering..As i'm a kid)...And make games..But if this will happen, 2 problems will be in..

1: The price of the Rpi would be really high..

2: I just couldn't get the pro version of GM:S to export..But i would like to see a selection of GM:S games in the Rpi store!

#22 rui.rosario

rui.rosario

Membery Member

• GMC Member
  • 519 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:24 PM

It would be really interesting..If i could get a Rpi..Modify it a bit (At least..Make a little console, without soldering..As i'm a kid)...And make games..But if this will happen, 2 problems will be in..

1: The price of the Rpi would be really high..

2: I just couldn't get the pro version of GM:S to export..But i would like to see a selection of GM:S games in the Rpi store!

I have an RPi and it's price is not that high... Because you can always give it another uses! So if you made a console that had an option to be turned into a normal RPi people wouldn't mind at all, and you could even sell it at a higher price probably.

#23 Nexusrex

Nexusrex

WRYYYY!

• GMC Member
  • 637 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:31 PM

Well, i guess that you did misunderstood me..I'm not planning to sell it..Just, if i want to get a RPi for me..It would be expensive..As i'm in Egypt, the prices are really high..But i'm still interested to see GM:S games on any RPi

#24 rui.rosario

rui.rosario

Membery Member

• GMC Member
  • 519 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:33 PM

Well, i guess that you did misunderstood me..I'm not planning to sell it..Just, if i want to get a RPi for me..It would be expensive..As i'm in Egypt, the prices are really high..But i'm still interested to see GM:S games on any RPi

Sorry, I understood you were saying it was expensive to sell.

Yes, in your case it would be expensive to get one, but you never know the future :P

#25 BenRK

BenRK

Now in high-definition!

• GMC Member
  • 855 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:43 PM

I voted yes to make stuff with it. My Raspberry Pi has been sitting around for years not doing anything. While it's not the newest model, I'm sure I could still make stuff for it in GMS. Please don't let the people voting no stop this from happening....!

#26 rui.rosario

rui.rosario

Membery Member

• GMC Member
  • 519 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:45 PM

I voted yes to make stuff with it. My Raspberry Pi has been sitting around for years not doing anything. While it's not the newest model, I'm sure I could still make stuff for it in GMS. Please don't let the people voting no stop this from happening....!

I have the most recent model for some time and it's only been serving as a web server, so having GM:S release games for it would be a nice way of starting to use it more

#27 BenRK

BenRK

Now in high-definition!

• GMC Member
  • 855 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:53 PM

I have the most recent model for some time and it's only been serving as a web server, so having GM:S release games for it would be a nice way of starting to use it more

My thoughts exactly. I wanted to use mine as a NAS thing, but I never could figure it out. But making games? Yeah, I have a vague idea on how to do that.  ^_^

#28 jackhigh24

jackhigh24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1346 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:03 AM

how did the votes go as its run out of time now hasn't it mike, would love to know especially as my mates votes didn't appear to show, love to know if they finally appeared in the end results.

#29 BobFish

BobFish

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 269 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:02 AM

This would be really cool!

After using GameMaker since 2009, I've finally begun working on my first big project which is an economic simulation / tycoon game.

My Site: www.BobFishProductions.com

My Twitter: @RealBobFish

fs.png

#30 Repix

Repix

Goodbye!

• GMC:Member
  • 816 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:52 AM

I didn't even get to say yes, how sad...

Take the pistol, aim the front towards yourself, pull the trigger, why? because it's not a prank gun no longer.

#31 Luigi003

Luigi003

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:42 AM

I've wanted to get a Pi for a while now, just don't have the money(yes, yes, I'm quite poor)

If GM could export to it, I'd probably try and make my own little arcade cabinet too.

I'M SORRY, THEY MADE A $5 VERSION!?!?

I'M BUYING ONE RIGHT NOW

NO I'M NOT! (they're sold out. :crying:)

Be careful since Pi Zero is a way worst than Pi 1 and Pi 2, you should think about it

On topic: I do remember that Mike has worked on a Pi export before... Not sure anyway.

I really don't know what to say, I have a Pi(and GM Pro) but i don't really think I'm gonna use it for GM Stuff.

Cool idea anyway

Regards~

#32 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:47 PM

Pi Zero isn't worse than a Pi 1 - it's basically an over-clocked Pi 1, so all you don't have is networking really. But for using it to demo, or put inside a device... it's an amazing device as it's SO cheap.

Pi 2 is brill. Fast, and lots of ports all ready to go.

And yes.... it's taken me quite a while to port this, mainly becase A) I was doing it in my own time, and B) I had to do the Linux port first!  But I *LOVE* the Pi and everything they're doing.

Votes.... 1490 votes in total. 63% YES, 37% No.

#33 Karurosu

Karurosu

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:55 PM

Pi Zero isn't worse than a Pi 1 - it's basically an over-clocked Pi 1, so all you don't have is networking really. But for using it to demo, or put inside a device... it's an amazing device as it's SO cheap.

And yes.... it's taken me quite a while to port this, mainly becase A) I was doing it in my own time, and B) I had to do the Linux port first!  But I *LOVE* the Pi and everything they're doing.

What about performance? Could games like Nuclear Throne or Crahslands run in the arm 11?

Edited by Karurosu, 29 January 2016 - 03:58 PM.

If you´re reading this, it´s because I´m already dead. So if you want to communicate with my afterlife me,  send an email to: carlosmlg109@gmail.com -Available for hire, programmer and pixel artist-

#34 trg601

trg601

Member of the GMC

• GMC Member
  • 629 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:06 PM

This would be a quite cool feature, I don't have twitter so I can't vote or RT, but I would like this as an export.

It doesn't seem really needed though, I have a raspberry Pi, and I would enjoy making games for a raspberry Pi just for fun, but I don't think I would buy this export unless it was very cheap, I wouldn't buy it thinking it would improve sales of a game of mine.

Because of the forum being archived, the above post is probably pretty old and may not reflect my current opinion.
If you want to find some of my games go to: Mutantbrain

#35 Debels

Debels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3029 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:55 PM

So 63% of the 1490 are smart :D

I don't know how people dismiss the opportunity to making their own small "console", making games where you can use any sensor you want (assuming that the module would allow extensions hopefully? :D)

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."

(Chinese axiom)

#36 karlos

karlos

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 401 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:57 PM

It doesn't seem really needed though, I have a raspberry Pi, and I would enjoy making games for a raspberry Pi just for fun, but I don't think I would buy this export unless it was very cheap, I wouldn't buy it thinking it would improve sales of a game of mine.

Same here.

I couldn't see it being too expensive. I'd imagine it would be one of those 'experimental' modules so buy at your own risk, sort of thing.

I could be wrong though, they may make it a fully fledged module if it comes to fruition. Only Mike and YYG can foresee the intent of the module at this stage. :)

#37 TehPilot

TehPilot

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

• GMC Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:12 AM

Would the Raspberry Pi port be for Raspbian or another specific operating system? I'm all for it, but I'm curious as to the exact specifications of a theoretical Pi export.

-~✈~-
To infinity, and surround!

#38 jackhigh24

jackhigh24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1346 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:18 AM

i think it would be native and not based on an OS as if that were the case we could just use the linux exporter and unbunto and we can already do it, hopefully they make and release it for us, imagine an arcade you can set up for such a small cost and make all your own games and charge 10p or 20p per play, you would make tons of money as a lot of parents limit there kids computer time and kick them out of the house with spends in there pocket, i know where i live i could make enough to retire in a year. plus there is the handhelds you could make, but thats a bit more chancy if you want to make money off it, but i don't see a problem with selling sd cards with your game on to pi users apart from there is no where at the moment marketing games for pi so i would also set one of them up if this goes ahead.

Edited by jackhigh24, 30 January 2016 - 01:19 AM.

#39 karlos

karlos

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 401 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 04:34 AM

i think it would be native and not based on an OS as if that were the case we could just use the linux exporter and unbunto and we can already do it, hopefully they make and release it for us, imagine an arcade you can set up for such a small cost and make all your own games and charge 10p or 20p per play, you would make tons of money as a lot of parents limit there kids computer time and kick them out of the house with spends in there pocket, i know where i live i could make enough to retire in a year. plus there is the handhelds you could make, but thats a bit more chancy if you want to make money off it, but i don't see a problem with selling sd cards with your game on to pi users apart from there is no where at the moment marketing games for pi so i would also set one of them up if this goes ahead.

Can't see it being 'native' as YYG aren't in the business of writing operating systems.

I see it being similar to the Ubuntu exporter. But you can't just compile using the Ubuntu exporter on the Raspberry Pi (even if running Ubuntu on the Pi) as the exporter is based around x86 where the Pi is ARM architecture. It is like trying to make your Microave talk to your Barbeque - they both achieve similar things but the way they go about it is totally different.

Edited by karlos, 30 January 2016 - 04:35 AM.

#40 jackhigh24

jackhigh24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1346 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 05:04 PM

ye i hadnt looked into the linux ubuntu export to see what it was based off, just looked it up but i dont see any info on if it is x86 or arm or both, there are no setting for it for any set of arm so i guess it is x86 then, hopefully mike will inform us a bit more about it, but as for getting a microwave to talk to a barbeque then that is possible as there are now cookers fridges microwaves and a lot of other appliances that can all link up to each other and your phone LOL. 

#41 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:25 PM

What about performance? Could games like Nuclear Throne or Crahslands run in the arm 11?

Yes..... yes it can.

#42 jackhigh24

jackhigh24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1346 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:47 PM

nice, god i hope playtech approve this, is there anything we can all do to get it noticed more.

#43 Moon Goat

Moon Goat

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:25 PM

I think you can actually use the already made Linux module to build Raspberry Pi games

because both of those operating systems run on the GNU Linux distribution.

#44 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:48 PM

No you can't.... The current Linux module is x86 based., the Pi is ARM.

#45 BenRK

BenRK

Now in high-definition!

• GMC Member
  • 855 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:29 PM

This is by no means a deal breaker for me, just a curiosity, but can games made with the pi export boot straight into the game with no OS, using the FULL POWER of the board, or is an OS required?

#46 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:34 PM

This is by no means a deal breaker for me, just a curiosity, but can games made with the pi export boot straight into the game with no OS, using the FULL POWER of the board, or is an OS required?

Not a chance.

Programs (games, apps, whatever) don't talk to hardware, they talk to the OS and other APIs.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#47 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7522 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:42 PM

I'll add my justification for wanting a piece of the Pi: although it's mostly a playground for me currently, the Pi really opens up the road for affordable embedded systems that could now run GameMaker games. This means you can develop (prototypes for) arcade boxes, handheld consoles with specific hardware interactions, or tailor-built interactive devices for e.g. expositions or museums.

As an example on the latter, I've been to a museum where the kids were able to 'experience' medieval jousting. Two mechanical horses were positioned facing each other and each had a lance attached that could be tilted. In between the horses was a flat panel screen. Kids were supposed to sit down on the horses and ride them, then raise their lance at the right moment to hit the opponent. The real action was projected with a computer game top-down view on the screen.

I think it'd be great if you can put your hardware and software skills together and create a unique experience. The cheap and very malleable Pi would be perfect for it.

#48 Andy

Andy

GMC Veteran

• GMC Member
  • 1988 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:47 PM

The Pi is awesome, and an export for it would be great. :)

Please visit my website, Andygames.com today!

#49 jackarda7

jackarda7

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:48 PM

If they had a Raspberry Pi version of Studio, that be great!

#50 BenRK

BenRK

Now in high-definition!

• GMC Member
  • 855 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:42 PM

Not a chance.

Programs (games, apps, whatever) don't talk to hardware, they talk to the OS and other APIs.

I'm not sure I agree with that. It really depends on if the runner is programmed to be booted from appropriately. Now, I highly doubt that it is programmed in such a way, which is why I asked.

Have you forgotten the days when you put a game's floppy disk in a computer and the computer booted into the game? No OS required. :P