#1 sirhendro

sirhendro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 38 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:10 PM

Julia 3D Studio

Building the semi professional all in one editor for Game Maker Studio.

Download:

http://meerfx.com/pu...d_build1022.zip

(Build 1022, including: 3 demo models, 1 height map demo)

About:

Since a few years i wanted to switch over to 3D game making in Game Maker but I noticed that you had to use all sorts of nasty programs to get your models into your game. Also there is just so much missing to easily get started on a 3D game project in GM:S which was the reason for me to decide to start working on my own model / texture / animation / world and more editor. The goal is to offer everything that the GM:S package is lacking. This is however a very big project that will still take a very long time to complete. I thought to myself that it would not hurt to actually share my work with the public so that everyone can use it instead of just me. Because of this decision I also decide to take it a step further and create and entire community for it. You can access it through this program and use it to share you work with other people and build things together with friends over the internet (or just let them look at what your doing, you control the session). Even if you like to use professional programs such as Blender but are unable to export directly to d3d format for Game Maker then this might be something for you. I will try to support as many formats as possible and let you use this as a simple tool to convert and correct your models so you can use them in your 3D game projects.

So here we are at the first alpha release which is at most 10% of the complete product. Currently only modeling and texturing support. Future release will add all the missing things such as animation, level editor and much more. I hope you all like to get to know Julia 3D Studio and your feedback is more than welcome.

Screenshot:

j3d_screen00s.jpg

Full size: http://www.meerfx.co...3d_screen00.jpg

Features:

- Building models using triangles.

- Measurements in units, imperial or metric (change via menu).

- Save / loading to j3d format and exporting to d3d format.

- Layer system to build your model in sections, hide parts on the fly!

- UV Editor (advanced alpha stage).

- Heightmap Editor (early alpha stage, press '/' to open this hidden feature and then 'L' to load a heightmap. Max 64x64 in size).

- Automatic update notification once you login.

- Community system to share your work with the world (early alpha stage).

- Stream a live session to show people how you build things or let them even help you (coming soon).

- The program can run on any resolution.

How to use

Due to GM being sandboxed all resource are managed from the '%localappdata%\Julia3DStudio' folder. I highly recommend to create a shortcut to this folder so you can access your resources faster.

Creating a model

- First you must add atleast one object to your project. You can do this in the object list by clicking new object.

- Now you can add triangles to this object with the triangle tool above the views.

- In the top menu you can choose if magnets should be used to align your vertices with the grid (grid is also adjustable).

- You can add more objects to split up your work so that working with complex things gets easier since you can hide objects you don't want to see.

- Hiding an object is done by clicking the tiny gray square infront of the name.

- Renaming an object is done by right clicking an object.

- Click the checkers icon to open the UV mapper.

- Click the bin to remove this object.

- On the left you have a move and rotation tool to edit your triangles.

Color tool

- You can create colors for the polygons using the Photoshop style color picker.

- You can save up to 16 colors in the palette by right clicking on them or to use just left click them.

Quick Menu

- Inside the 2D views you can right click to open the quick menu.

- Now you can use copy, paste, cut, delete, focus, and color functions both for the entire triangle or per vertex.

UV editor

- Currently you can only use the auto generate button to get UV maps. Use the scale to move and set it to the desired size. It still under construction and currently only does front view mapping correctly. Rest will be added later.

- The UV map can be exported, drawn upon and imported back into your project.

Height map editor

- This is still a very early build. Open it by pressing '/' on the keyboard and then 'L' to load a png height map (max 64x64).

- You can also put an extra png file next to the map with '_color.png' at the end to load vertex colors automatically.

Views

- Above every view you can choose to render in wireframe, solids, solid+wireframe, textured or in x-ray mode.

j3d_loader_s.jpg

Edited by sirhendro, 25 January 2016 - 02:37 PM.

Lead developer of Julia 3D Studio for Game Maker. A program that assists users in developing 3D games with Game Maker Studio.

Julia 3D at GMC: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=688110

#2 orange451

orange451

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1411 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:48 AM

Nice! It feels very professional already :)

I hope this turns into a great tool for aiding 3d game creation!

bC14QqN.pngNrTFeil.png

#3 morendral

morendral

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 04:06 AM

This looks really nice! If you could support loading sketchup models that would be fantastic

#4 sirhendro

sirhendro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:29 AM

It seems that Google Sketchup can export to OBJ files. Importing OBJ will be added soon just like other things such as scaling your imported model to a proper size and change it's origin. Also if you do not have got your normals set correctly my program will be able to fix that in the future. Currently my program already sets the normals to the correct position in real time for models created in J3DS.

If you have a feature request, feel free to post it here. I will look at it and possibly add it to the 'things to do' list for future updates.

Edited by sirhendro, 16 January 2016 - 01:10 PM.

Lead developer of Julia 3D Studio for Game Maker. A program that assists users in developing 3D games with Game Maker Studio.

#5 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:41 AM

Looks good

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#6 alexde5

alexde5

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 01:13 PM

Looks like Maya.

Games are the pass time that we'd bother spending on a virtual object, instead of being outside.

Qq7C2G6.png

Want to try out some random game you've never heard of? here you go: http://gmc.yoyogames...50#entry4868973

#7 sirhendro

sirhendro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:37 PM

That is correct. It's design is being based mostly on Maya and Photoshop. I recreate things i liked a lot in and redesign others as I prefer them to be. Sometimes I feel like I'm  one of those Chinese copy cats :P

Edited by sirhendro, 17 January 2016 - 04:39 PM.

#8 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:32 PM

Is this made in Studio?

Edited by icuurd12b42, 17 January 2016 - 07:33 PM.

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#9 sirhendro

sirhendro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:01 PM

Yes this is made in GM Studio.

#10 Zekronz

Zekronz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:00 PM

This looks really nice! I'm definitely gonna try this!

#11 Mornedil

Mornedil

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1450 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:46 PM

The "import" button seems to do nothing when pressing it.

~ Pause systems for your games ~

EasyPauseIcon.png                   icon_medium.png

#12 sirhendro

sirhendro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:12 PM

The "import" button seems to do nothing when pressing it.

That is because that function has not yet been implanted in this sneak preview. Only export is currently available.

#13 Dukembg

Dukembg

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 02:07 AM

looks promising! Pls add a logo to the download so that I can give credit in an opening splash.

gmuser.jpg