Photo

The GMC was here, but who on earth are you?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#51 karlos

karlos

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 401 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:20 AM

I'm a person who makes games. I've been here for over ten years. I'm making something amazing right now. Soon I'll be rich from it. I'll be celebrating the launch of the new forum by showing you guys my Kickstarter and saying "lol, I'm rich now, ya jerks!" This is my last post here. See you all on the new forum. I already said it before, but:

b1aaec5358f636d09ce0fc2160c00923.png

What he said. Just to prove that defining your own destiny is 'luck'.

#52 autukill

autukill

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 04:12 AM

I joined the GMC in 2009 ,when I was 16-years old.

6 years have passed.
but I'm still here

:huh:

#53 Repix

Repix

Goodbye!

• GMC:Member
  • 816 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:06 PM

I had another account called repix.. it was like.. 2 months older than this, so I've been here for a very not* long time, at all..

I just came on acting all cool.. got a ton of posts, acting like I knew all the cool kids here.. yea!!

But I'm constantly on here, doing absolutely nothing until I do.

I'll continue lurking.

MYpU6f5.gif

Take the pistol, aim the front towards yourself, pull the trigger, why? because it's not a prank gun no longer.

#54 popcorn897

popcorn897

Certified Insomniac

• 4 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:36 PM

I never made much, I never posted much, but y'all were nice for the short time I've been here.

I don't make games, I make mistakes

#55 Chessmasterriley

Chessmasterriley

Creative Concentrate

• GMC Member
  • 1967 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:01 AM

I made free art and stuff.

sig_preview_anim.gifsiggy_gif.gifzombie_01_walk.gif

#56 roytheshort

roytheshort

The Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 05:11 PM

I wonder when this reset will happen.

#57 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:35 AM

I don't know, I just hope it's not going to interfere with Otyurga's next comic.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#58 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 4048 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:08 AM

I don't know, I just hope it's not going to interfere with Otyurga's next comic.

I'm just hoping that it won't interfere with the next viewing of Halley's comet. Having to choose between watching one of two such long awaited spectacles would be a crushing blow to my great grandchildren.

tumblr_ngbm3tNUVy1thlk7do1_75sq.png

Professor Kayge says: "Play Project Jin! I'm sure it's been released by whatever year you're reading this in!"

#59 zbox

zbox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2618 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:28 PM

I collect warning points :D

#60 roytheshort

roytheshort

The Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 539 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:12 PM

I'm honestly surprised I've never got any warning points.

#61 bluedevil9981

bluedevil9981

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 61 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:00 AM

Well I picked a great time to join, hm? Right as the place shuts down.

It was fun doing...Things. Lets see. Talked about the raspberry pi. Helped a couple people in Q&A. A little bit of forum games...Yep, that's about it. :P

#62 Andy

Andy

GMC Veteran

• GMC Member
  • 1988 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:28 PM

I am Andy!

My member number is 98, therefor I am very super cool because I have been around here for a long time. :P

I have not released anything new since around 2006 (http://andygames.com/coldgearz.html), but be sure I am working hard on my next game.

I can't wait to join the new forums, and see the future of the GMC! :)

Edited by Andy, 16 March 2016 - 12:17 AM.

Please visit my website, Andygames.com today!

#63 Funkey

Funkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:38 PM

I'm Funkey, a bloke from somewhere insignificant that enjoys to mess around with Gamemaker and has been since 2011ish. I have tried many other engines but Gamemaker's GML and layout is so beautiful and familiar now I keep coming back. I plan to release a game in May.

I'm up for a chat if you want to bounce any ideas about anything game related. Feel free to add me.

Big Smoke: Same things make us laugh, make us cry.

#64 frolacosta

frolacosta

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:40 PM

I'm Dan, but some of you may remember me as Frolacosta. I'm 19, from the UK and am currently studying computer engineering at university.

I joined in early 2010 because I wanted to make an amazing MMORPG (Something like WoW) and like most ambitious 13 year olds I failed horribly, but learned a lot of lessons and found a new hobby in programming in the process.

I used to be a very active member of the old YoYoGame Forums, but when that forum died I became less active and rarely posted in the GMC forum. I made a lot of friends on that forum, and at the time it didn't feel the same posting here, but I now realize we are all like-minded people and it doesn't matter where we post or talk.

I still come back from time to time, and like recognizing old friends from their name or avatars. I hope to start posting more often

Posted Image
Follow me on Twitter!
@Frolacosta

#65 Kahvana166

Kahvana166

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:30 PM

Hello everynyan!

My story isn't as intresting as those from you all, but still I would like to share it xP.

Started to use Game maker when I was 7-8 years old, because a real life friend of mine was completely into it (kokosnoot1500 from the dutch GMC). Together we made countless games. We even earned some money with it and teached in front of classes how to make games with GM8.0, but never released one of those games online..

When he started working on his own engine, I decided to look around at the gmc for a long time without an account (like a ghost x3). Then, around januari-april 2015 (16th GMCJam?), I created an account and joined the GMC to participade in the GMCJam for my school project. Im still suprized that my game wasn't the lowest rated one xP.

After the GMCJam, I remained silenced for a long time to improve my 3D skills, and show the potential of game maker's build in 3D (with surfacefix on GM8.0 Pro).

Always loved looking around at the sandbox, this forum and the Game Maker Blog (By vahalla?). As for today, I'm really busy with my game development study (so don't have much time to hang around at the GMC), but still work with game maker (currently project VX, see alpha projects) whenever I have enough time for it. I"ll join the new GMC when it's finished, but I"ll never leave GM8.1 until they include a feature to turn off automatic drawing mode, screen redraw and screen refresh xP (still don't know a workaround for them).

Ps.

I thank all of you for giving me a great time at the GMC!.

- Kahvana166

#66 roytheshort

roytheshort

The Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 539 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 12:22 PM

dutch GMC

Klik op de hansworst

#67 Kahvana166

Kahvana166

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:27 PM

dutch GMC

Klik op de hansworst

Op welke hansworst? xP

- Kahvana166

#68 roytheshort

roytheshort

The Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 539 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:31 PM

Deze hansworst met het pistool.

hqdefault.jpg

#69 Roopfert

Roopfert

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 03:10 AM

I joined when I was 12 in 2006 after receiving my physical copy of GM7 in the mail for $20(a fortune to 12y/o me), occasionally posted nub questions and then kind of forgot about game maker. Now I recently got back into it after finding it on steam, decide to come on here and I see this :(

#70 hippyman

hippyman

Dirty Stinky Hippy

• GMC Member
  • 837 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 03:37 PM

I forgot to mention that I also make Physics Doll orgies and sensual scooter dances. Never forget.

ninjascoot_sensual.gif?dl=0

lol1.gif?dl=0

badge.png?dl=0

HM Audio Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/hm-audio

#71 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 03:41 PM

Beautiful, that.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#72 Tepi

Tepi

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4248 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 07:44 PM

How I view my journey here:

• Joined in 2007, not so much asking questions but trying my best to answer some. Was a bit of a noob, so fortunately can't find the posts from that period.
  • Somehow became some kind of an authority in mathematics, although was still learning the basics. Discovered some useful math and couldn't help but share that.
  • Got caught up in university work and this thing called life, became inactive for several years and had little time for game projects; got nothing decent finished.
  • Someone apparently forgot what a noob I'd been years ago and thought I'd miraculously become more active if I became a moderator, so I got promoted and got more active.

Well, back at it again. Fresh start awaits.. See y'all on the other side.

#73 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1372 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 07:57 PM

My name is Faissal Bensefia

I started using Game Maker with Game Maker 8, as a kid I had wanted to make games, what sparked my interest in this was the Andkon Arcade game that I used to play called Super Mario Jetpack, so I kept googling and googling on my old Acer T180, I believe my initial intention was to make "my own Club Penguin" (though I may be confusing that with some of my later thoughts, I do strangely remember this one video where someone just got some screenshots of Club Penguin, MS paint and Microsoft Word or something and titled it something along the lines of "how to make your own Club Penguin", this search for how to make my own Club Penguin also lead me to learning basic Javascript and HTML when I was probably in year 5, maybe year 6, though there was this one kid who also knew Javascript but was a year younger than me), which changed and at some point I came across Game Maker 7 (I think, my memory is very dodgy), dragged and dropped a few Star Wars pictures and got annoyed because I expected it to automatically know what I wanted to do, so I rage quit and made a bunch of games with a level editor thing called Sploder. After some time I got frustrated with the fact that Sploder was so limited so I went to 3Drad and I flipping loved it. I started using again, on my Acer T180, and then eventually on my brand spanking new Toshiba Satellite, I remember looking for a plug socket on a ferry, finding one and then sitting on the floor and messing with this. I managed to dig up this old video of something I made with it:

At some point a computing magazine called MacFormat which I used to read ran a thing about using Game Maker and I was like "well it's been a while since I last tried that, maybe now that I'm older I'll be able to actually use it" so I went back and made my first ever game, based on the maze example, Bey Run (I was really into Beyblade at the time), the MacFormat tutorial showed how to upload your game to the sandbox and from there I found out about the YoyoGames Forum.

I've been here since I was 11, on the 11th of August 2011 (back when upurload still existed), I heard about this place from the YoyoGames Forums.

I was really into experimenting and loved hacking together different things to make a program (simple stuff like a program that modifies a url, or writes a VBS and executes it, I remember being particularly fond of execute_shell() and get_string()). I was extremely annoying and asked alot of stupid questions, but I learned eventually. I remember the GM quizzes that everyone had in their signatures. I remember participating in an early GMC Jam (just looked it up, it was number 4), where the theme was "law" and I decided to make a 'whack a mole' game about a judge with a jetpack, the post for it is here: http://gmc.yoyogames...36#entry3854211the link is dead unfortunately, and so is the one for the zip file of all the games, so it's probably gone :( but at least there are screenshots.

At some point after this I took the Text Phanda editor and made Quickpad out of it (some of the links on there do actually still work 0.0).

Also, you'll notice I had a default background when that video was made, that was because the computer had a bad rootkit in win32k.sys and I had to completely reset the system to get rid of it.

I left the GMC for a while to explore other forums, when I came back here it was very strange, there were alot of new people to meet and alot of people that had since become inactive. I also discovered that I had left my Twitter synced so my tweets were showing up on here, and wouldn't you know people were actually replying to me and I never knew, so I came and stuck around, and watched PlayTech buy out Yoyo, Sandy leave, the end of Yokoslia 2.0, YoyoGreatGamer's Minecraft Server (which I desperately tried to keep alive, hosting myself on my MacBook Air that I still have for about 4 hours, someone came to me with an offer to host it 24/7, who I discovered was about 10 years old and eventually just decided to delete everything, and I made the mistake of what may be my only backup on a hard drive that is now dead because I dropped it while play Minecraft) and now this, the end of the Sandbox and the original GMC.

I think that's all the memories I'll be able to salvage right now, maybe in future I'll be able to remember more and I will have left enough clues for anyone interested to piece together my life after I'm dead.

Edited by faissialoo, 27 March 2016 - 08:03 PM.

cooltext680386545.png
The YYGF subreddit: /r/YYGF

#74 11clock

11clock

Mech. Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2735 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:34 PM

My name is Justin "11clock" Priester. I came to this forum back in 2007 as a newbie who made pretty crappy games until early 2012. Now I am an expert mechanical game designer, being able to invent some pretty nifty game mechanics. I specialize in making arcade games and other games where gameplay is the top priority. I suck at art and don't know how to make music, so I try to keep my games in a minimalist style.

At the time of this post I am the current director of the indie team Chronicle Bench, founded in 2012 and one game under its belt, Earth Overclocked.

I have held no positions in the GMC, most likely due to my on and off activity. Most of my activity around here has been spent in a few GMC Jams, with about half of my entries making it to the top 10 and highest place being 4th. I won "Best Use of Theme/Handicap" in GMC Jam #15 with the anti-platformer Disperspective.

I am very passionate about video games, even designing ideas for games with my toys when I was toddler. My passion for video games has also led me to become an extreme game design critic. My favorite genre is platformer, my least favorites being jRPG and FPS. Some of my favorite games of all time are Freedom Planet, Ninjatown, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, and Terraria. I favor games with constant pacing and progression over games that encourage grinding in a single area for a long period of time (what I like to call "job" games). I strongly believe that the primary purpose of video games has always been and will always be to provide casual entertainment and fun as a break from everyday life. I absolutely detest competitive gaming (other than casual competition between like friends or something) and "Skinner box" (Ex: Cookie Clicker) games.

My dream game (game that I have always wanted to make that represents what I like the most in video games) is a turn-based RPG that has no grinding of any sort while still having progression on the player's strength, rewards both strategy and skill, and is self-aware of the fact that it is a video game written in code. The dream game's story is based on a chat role-play that my best friend and I did back in 2009. I started development on this game early 2016 and it is called Coded Universe.

Other random info: I was raised in a Christian family with two sets of twins (me being of the older set). I was diagnosed with autism when I was young, but have mostly outgrown it by this point. I love my parents deeply and have a strong family bond. I am a big fan of simple foods, my favorite food being Mac & Cheese. I have owned pretty much every console ever starting with the Nintendo 64. My favorite console of all time is the Sega Dreamcast, second being the Nintendo GameCube. I am mostly a PC gamer nowadays, but think that the idea of the "PC Master Race" is very stupid since it encourages superiority in the Internet society. I have Crohn's Disease and a form of Rheumatoid Arthritis. I have problems with the American schooling system since it enforces experimenting with a variety of things so that you can more easily find something that you want to do for your career, but I have strongly wanted to go into computers since I was young. Learning History, Latin, and Chemistry is a complete waste of time for me, let me study what I WANT to study only! I do not have a problem with homosexuals. I have anger and anxiety issues. I cannot stand anything of the horror genre. My biggest fears are darkness and mirrors. I like sci-fi fantasy shows. (NOT sci-fi like Star Trek, I find that kind of boring. More like Stargate and Eureka. I love those shows.) I cannot think of anything else to type about myself.

Edited by 11clock, 27 March 2016 - 10:01 PM.

qNDVrhl.png

#75 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:40 AM

Well I picked a great time to join, hm? Right as the place shuts down.

It was fun doing...Things. Lets see. Talked about the raspberry pi. Helped a couple people in Q&A. A little bit of forum games...Yep, that's about it. :P

but you joined last year

let the record show that this was my final post

#76 Mocgames998

Mocgames998

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:50 PM

I've been lurking around since 08.

Been using Gamemaker since 07.

Tried to begin making games in 06.

Made a collection to celebrate 05 years of using Gamemaker.

................................................04 Years ago. (I'm probably gonna move it to Gamejolt too, 'cause April 8th)

Started using GM Studio over 03 years ago.

I never actually released a game 02 years ago.

This will probably be my only, 01 post here, and probably my final post here.

See you later GMC.

???

It looks like I can finally put something here, before the GMC goes down:

Spoiler

#77 wadaltmon

wadaltmon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 269 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:18 AM

I use the GMC far too much but don't make actual forum posts a lot. I usually just keep to status updates. I've been here since 2011, been using Game Maker since high school in 2010, I believe. Wanted to make games that were too big for one person too make and was too shy and stubborn to ask anyone to help.
Since then, I've started making ambitious games on my own that are too big for one person to make and I'm too shy and stubborn to ask anyone for help. That's how I'll always be, I guess. But it doesn't prevent me from working hard on what I set my mind to.

Check my signature to follow my progress; perhaps you'll see something you like. Right now there's not much there, but there will be in the future. 

May the Risen keep you in his wishes. I will see you all on the new GMC!

Fairtime

Subscribe to my YouTube page if you're interested in my game stuff (updates on my Game Maker games, as well as other video game related stuff): https://www.youtube....PQ8b69cFOinTKYg

Also head to the Fairtime Interactive website for special updates: http://fairtimeia.webs.com

#78 nvrogers

nvrogers

Grumpy Robot

• GMC Member
  • 562 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:18 AM

I'm just a guy who likes to babble about game design.

See you on the other side!

I work on games sometimes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello. It seems the forum has been sucked into the abyss. What fun!

#79 Colonello

Colonello

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:40 AM

I'm extremely new to GMC so not much of me will be known on this site. I signed up for an account just a few days ago in hopes of learning how to use GameMaker over spring break. Thanks to the wonderful people here I can confidently navigate through the engine itself and even know how to use a little bit of GML, all in barely a weeks time! :)