Photo

The GMC was here, but who on earth are you?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 4048 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:57 PM

That's right ladies and gentlemen, we've ran out of bandages and the GMC is finally receiving it's lethal injection. Rising from it's ashes will be the new forum supporting Game Maker, YoYoGames and their community, but it will never be the same.

For years, we've neglected our work, our studies, our social lives and we've even neglected Game Maker at times and all for an obscure internet forum. So in light of all the angry relatives whose birthdays we missed because the GMC Jam was on and in honour of all those pot noodles we left to go cold because we were too engaged in forum debates to notice, I would like to take a moment for us all to reflect on our own, personal histories of the GMC. Sort of like a record of the lives we lived as each of us slowly forgot what the outside world looked like. So I'll go first.

My name is Rusty, I joined the GMC in October, 2010 and became a GMCG Moderator. I co-piloted the end of the GMCG era with BlackMetaYoshi and witnessed the beginning of the GMC Jams. The first recipient of the best Reviewer award for the GMC Jams, my habit of failing miserably at the GMC Jams led me to become a proud member of the short lived Team 47 alongside HayManMarc, Ziggler1 and CaptainLepintius(I never could spell his name). YoYoGames assassinated me in 2014 during a staged GMC blackout and despite the rumours, it cost them much less than 1 million dollars to rebuild me. I've been a proud mentor to several GMC members, both in GML and in graphic design and more recently I've became the GMC's champion of punching girls (although YYG has so far refused to grant me any official title).

That's my life on the GMC summed up the best I can in a single paragraph. Who were you?

Edited by Rusty, 12 February 2016 - 09:10 PM.

tumblr_ngbm3tNUVy1thlk7do1_75sq.png

Professor Kayge says: "Play Project Jin! I'm sure it's been released by whatever year you're reading this in!"

#2 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

Gay Wizard Freak & mcmonkey's plaything

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:05 AM

Ah, more stories to tell!

I am Lucas, though most of you probably know me by Lukan. (or Luken if you're a certain monkey :P)

I joined in 2012 sometime, it's a few months earlier than my join date that's listed, as I too was assassinated by YYG.

The glorious Nocturne, all glory be unto him, resurrected me with the black magic of forum admin powers.

Since the whole being brought back to life thing, I've been a pretty regular forum goer. I think I've become well known around these parts, for what reason I'll never know.

I was here for the Milkshake Spill of 2014, which killed rusty and Snail Man, I think GynjaNinja/Shasoos also.

I started doing the jams at jam.... I wanna say 14, I know it was the horrid train incident that made us all hate trains.

That's when I feel like I started being more known around here.

I have made a great many friends from all over the world here. From Greece to Croatia, and Australia to right where I live in the US.

I met the best person in existence here, and he's like my best friend in the entire universe, ever.

I'm pretty sad to see this place go, I truly am. I don't really have a life outside of my computer, and this is where I spend most of my time...

That's probably sad and stupid, but hey, so am I. :crying:

Maybe I'll become one of those day one elitists, and act like a sour old man to all the new comers. Yeah. that sounds fun.

Edited by Lukan Spellweaver, 18 January 2016 - 07:38 PM.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

GMC Google Hangout | I liek monkehs

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

Also: MIKE DAILLY TOLD ME TO UPDATE MY SIGNATURE

#3 Mobi.LeBean

Mobi.LeBean

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:23 AM

I am who I am, and have been so since I can first remember.

Started on the Dutch forum, love it here, don't want to go elsewhere, yet looking forward to yet another incarnation of the forum. Infrequent visitor between 2003-2006, occasional skulker on here 2006-2007, intermittently lurked for the full year of 2008, been a slyboots on here since 2009.

#4 Ninety

Ninety

I just want to see if the mods will waive the character limit.

• GMC Member
  • 846 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:53 AM

I feel like I'm on This Is Your Life.

I apparently joined back in November 2011 as StewartB, meaning I've been here a little over 4 years. I've used GM on and off since about 2006. I used to help out in Programming Q&A before I realised I don't know anything about coding. So I moved to filling graphics requests in the Resources forum before I got harassed for asking someone to clarify the size of sprite they wanted, after which I decided to cut my losses and stop posting there entirely.

Since then I've been a dead weight on this forum, mostly hanging around in Off Topic. I started out by getting into a few religious arguments with NakedPaulToast, before starting the terrible webcomic I'm probably mostly known for in April 2014. I burned approximately one month later and complained daily about what a chore it was and how creatively dead I felt for most of its life. I also managed to push out a terrible GMC-themed puzzle game with about 5 minutes of gameplay and literally more content in the menu than the rest of the game combined.

In December '14 I joined the Homestead team, initially for a couple of music tracks, then 7 music tracks, then 8 music tracks and some alpha testing, then as the main artist, and now I'm looking at a list of 10 tile sets and 30 NPCs that all need animations while crying. It's my first major game project that didn't die within a month of having been started and it's been pretty fun so far! (Expect a release probably in Q4 2016!)

I spent most of 2015 getting pestered for new comics by people who haven't discovered the magic of Google yet, and working on Homestead. Now I'm contemplating the fact that the forum I've spent far too much time on is shutting down and I'm going to have to go two whole weeks without it.

And, uh, that's about it.

Edited by Ninety, 13 January 2016 - 12:54 AM.

ka0eZdt.png
twitter | soundcloud | gmcomicified | ask.fm | homestead | itch.io | TIGsource

goodnight, sweet prince

#5 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:58 AM

Rising from it's ashes will be the new forum supporting Game Maker, YoYoGames and their community, but it will never be the same.  (snip)

This nostalgic sentimentality is funny.  Fun, but a little silly.   Truth is, nothing significant will change.   The new forum will have the same noble goals.  The same pathetic flaws.  Just as argumentative as before.  Just as neurotic and self obsessed.   

When the smoke clears... we will still be here.

#6 Chrscool8

Chrscool8

Call me Chris.

• GMC Member
  • 2399 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:06 AM

I'm Chris, also known as Chrscool8. 

*sigh*  It's been a good run. Started with GM about 13 years ago, lurked the forum for two years, then made my account 11 years and 6 days ago. January 6, 2005.

I spent a few years learning, took a few years off, then spent a few more tutoring and answering hundreds and hundreds questions. At the time of this post, I have made 2381 posts.

I made and released a few games on here, but my legacy will probably live on in my latest. 

The culmination of my life's work so far is my game, Suh Burb. 389 replies, 30871 views, and 46 rep points, putting it at the highest reputationed game, and the 9th highest repped post of all time (apparently number 6 when not logged in). I know the numbers don't mean anything, and I don't mean to flaunt, but I'm really proud of what it's become. :)

See ya later, GMC.

Edited by Chrscool8, 13 January 2016 - 01:49 AM.

Click the banner to check out my game, Suh Burb!

XPTintI.gif

Add me on Steam! Let's talk about making games!

#7 Nexusrex

Nexusrex

WRYYYY!

• GMC Member
  • 637 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:16 AM

*sniff* I will miss you..Old GMC..Anyway.

I'm Ahmed Ibrahim..Known here as Nexusrex..Joined on my birthday in 2014..

I've been game dev using game maker since i was 8..At 2011..

I've joined for fun..First, i was a pretty weird guy..Now, when i've knew lot's of guys here..I've got some great experiences..

I've made some games..Not too much..

I think that's a short thing about my GMC life.

#8 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

RIP current GMC

• Global Moderators
  • 1453 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:45 AM

I'm Dan, and joined the GMC in December 2007, just after Christmas. I had been using GameMaker for about 3 years beforehand, but I was still absolutely clueless when it came to game development. I released a whole bunch of rubbish games on the YoYo Games sandbox, grabbing useful feedback here where possible. From about 2009 I used the forum mostly for the graphics & resources section, where I joined a group called "Nation Of Design". For a couple of years I was more of a logo designer than a game maker.

In April 2012, after a heavy night out, I joined my first GMC Jam with my game WillO, which came 5th. Since then the GMC Jam, and the members that frequent it, have become a huge part of my life. I've entered 14 GMC Jams now, and hosted 5 of them between Jam 13 and 17. Every few months, with the encouragement of the jam, I get to do something I truly love for 72 hours straight. I thank this forum and its members for giving me that opportunity.

Later in 2012, after GameMaker: Studio first released, I created my first mobile game SuperBeanJump, the first GameMaker: Studio game to be released on Android, iOS (joint first) and Windows Phone (or at least the first to be bragged about on the GMC). Following on from this I released games on Mac OS X and Windows 8, and used my experiences to help other GMC members trying to do the same. In June 2013, this got me noticed by Microsoft, who contacted me to build some starter kits for their Windows 8 Game On competition, which was run in collaboration with YoYo Games. In September that year, I applied for the role of Customer Support Technician at YoYo and got the job! I stayed there for 20 months, being promoted to community co-ordinator during that time, something I am immensely proud of. Simply by helping out a little on the GMC, I got my first big break in the games industry, and got to attend GDC meeting some of my favourite developers from the GameMaker Community.

Now, I'm back living in my hometown, the managing director of a new game development company that I own with former YoYo-colleague and long time GMC pal, NAL. My journey in game development has been completely shaped and guided by the kindhearted members of the GMC, and I'd like to thank everyone for their influence and input over the years. It's been a hell of a ride.

See you all on the other side.

Back & share :)

#9 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:54 AM

Boo hoo *pretends to wipe away a tear*

I was here *since da dawn of time!*

I was here *when da smiley cog threatened to consume us all!*

I was here *when da 1st GMC Jam was just a sparkle in our eyes!*

I was here *breaks down in tears & collapses on stage*

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#10 NAL

NAL

HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:04 AM

giphy.gif

Posted Image

#11 Barvix

Barvix

Legend Of Carrot

• GMC:Member
  • 1019 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:11 AM

My name is Barvix, and I guess I joined in about 2013...

In 2013 I came here to promote my Pokemon Game Maker 2 (PGM2) program/game, which wasn't a cool thing to do. So after a while I came here more and more and became a part of the community and felt like I was a part of something for the first time in my life.

In 2014 I was probably developing Pokemon Game Maker 3 and towards the end Pokemon Maker X (please note I only "finished" 2)

In 2015 I burnt out on PGMX and started on a game I still consider myself to be developing, Bunaria.

In 2016 I made a game for a club I'm in at school. Slime was okay.

#12 TheSnidr

TheSnidr

Heavy metal viking dentist

• GMC Elder
  • 3345 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:46 AM

As an 11-year old I googled how to make games, and found Mark Overmars' site. I believe it was just before version 6 of GM. I noobed around in the program on my own for two years before I registered at the GMC as Game And Watch. I didn't get many comments on the games I posted, so I fixed it by making multiple users and praising my own work. I had many enormous projects that didn't get anywhere, but the biggest of these was a topdown shooter called Gunther - My Father Was a Cop. I believe that project was my "breakthrough" when it came to programming; I made and remade the project many times, as my programming style improved so much for each iteration that scrapping it and starting over would take less work. I made some cool effects for it, and figured out a way to make it look kinda 3D. That's when I stopped working on the game, and started working exclusively on handy scripts and useful engines instead. I made the w3D-engine ("Wannabe 3D") fake 3D, which was further developed into a pseudo-mode 7 engine. I believe I changed my name to TheSnidr around 2008. Through 2009 and 2010 I made a bunch of other fake 3D engines and effects. Then I realized that by making my own fake 3D engines, going over to using d3d was incredibly easy.
My first 3D project was a Mario Galaxy-ish 3D gravity engine which later got the name Planetoids. I never finished that project either xD
Come 2011, and I joined my first GMC jam, which was GMC jam #3. Having never finished a game before, I made a small physics-based platformer game called Doodledoo. I didn't have time to make a proper ending, and the game was way too difficult, yet people seemed to like it, and it won! I fell in love with the GMC jams then, and joined several jams after that. I also met Lolligirl many times, and we made games for four jams together - in which we placed seventh once, second once and first twice!
I don't remember exactly when I became a moderator at the GMC, though I believe it was early 2012. Since then I've banned countless spammers and handed out a bunch of warn points to naughty members. Being a mod is great, since you get access to the awesome Moderator Forums of amazingness. But being a mod also requires dedication and a certain degree of activity in the community, and since my studies take most of my time these days, I decided to step down as a mod at the beginning of 2016. Now I'm looking forward to be a part of the new GMC as a member! And who knows what'll happen once I graduate... :)

Edited by TheSnidr, 13 January 2016 - 02:45 PM.

#13 holgersson1988

holgersson1988

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:53 PM

Around 2002, when I was 14, a friend gave me two floppy discs with GameMaker 4.2 on them. Initially I was obsessed with making games, even though I had no clue what I was doing. And understanding the tutorials with only limited english was hard. Somehow I stuck with it. Every year I would make a new "Zelda game" where you would explore and solve puzzles, and every year it would get slightly better and then abandoned.

I joined this forum in June 2005(!!!). I have tried staying active, but it goes up and down. In the early years I used the forums mostly to get help, asking noob questions. Later I started feeling good by answering other peoples' questions as well.

Even more recently (a few years ago) I discovered the GMC Jams. A great way to do little side projects without distracting too much from the main game I'm developing at the time. Sadly though I have only been able to enter three times so far, life and a lack of fun ideas have stopped me from entering. In the GMC Jam 7 I made a time traveling game called Nostradamus that ended in 7th. GMC Jam 8 I made a physics game called Turtle Termination where you save turtles from disasters, which won! Finally in GMC Jam 16 I made "The Universe and Randy", (my personal favourite) that ended in 7th place.

Without GameMaker or even the GMC, I would not be a programmer now. I have a game on Google play with almost 100 000 downloads. The same game on Steam, and another game Greenlit, on its way to Steam soon.

Thanks for all the good times, I'm glad YoYo went with option 3, a fresh start should be good once the initial confusion settles. :)

See you on the other side!

Here's a video of my games over the years up until 2012

https://www.youtube....h?v=fE-MQdzNbfY

Edited by holgersson1988, 13 January 2016 - 02:05 PM.

#14 roytheshort

roytheshort

The Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 539 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:21 PM

I don't know how I got here.

#15 FatalSleep

FatalSleep

FatalSheep?

• GMC Member
  • 3974 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:30 PM

I'm a tutorial and resource writer/programmer on the GMC.

Other than that... Idk. Too lazy to write a long post, so I'll

leave it at that.

Edited by FatalSleep, 14 January 2016 - 02:30 PM.

#16 ziggler1

ziggler1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 379 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:06 PM

For the past year I've only lurked the forums.  Hmmm, I guess I'll make an exception here.

When I was young I expressed interest in trying to make games.  A friend recommended Game Maker so I tried it out.  The latest version was Game Maker 6 at the time, back when Overmars still hosted a website with a collection of games and tutorials on it.  At some point I needed help with collision code (that "solid" checkbox caused nothing but confusion for me) so I signed up for an account on the GMC in January 2008.

Since then I've made 2 minigames for the GMCG project (thanks for the help with sprites Rusty!) and I've finished games for 5 GMC Jams, though I've silently entered and dropped out of several more.

Currently I'm employed part time to work on a space themed simulation game in Game Maker and in my free time I work on my own game written in C# and OpenGL.

As an aside, I'm surprised to see how many members are still active literally a decade after joining.  The user base has quite a bit of staying power!

#17 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:21 PM

From another topic.

I'm bumping this and I encourage everyone to post your personal history with the site, seeing as it's going down soon.

I'll start with me.
I started using Game Maker when I was 10 back in spring of 2006 when snail man downloaded it onto our shared computer. After a month or so, I was able to master major aspects of the program such as making the player move and making other objects move. Soon, Snail showed me Seiklus and I was amazed by what Game Maker could actually do. I soon discovered many other games on gamemakergames.com which inspired me to try more new things.

My history with GMC didn't start until 2008. I'm not sure which was my first post, but the earliest one I could find was in the topic for Ark22 saying it was "rely rely good." I came to GMC mostly because I was unable to get registration on YoYoGames to work. I'm sort of glad it didn't now, Seeing how bad my games were at the time. On GMC, I was now able to interact with the community in many ways, such as pestering KCLC to get my YYG account working and getting into arguments with KCLC in my topics about various issues. It was years before I posted a topic that DIDN'T devolve into a minor flame war.

After I got my YYG account working, I moved over to there for the next few years as well as becoming active on the GameMakerGames Forums. I didn't visit this site much more until Snail Man introduced me to the GMC Jam. I voted in Jam 4 and then, starting with Jam 5, I made an effort to participate in every jam I could. As GMG started dying, I felt myself longing for a new community so, in fall of 2014, I returned here.

I've since made new GM friends and am very glad to be a part of this place. I still miss GMG and YYG, but this place has gotten me closer than ever to the Game Maker Community. Thank you all!

AczgxAZ.png

^kept in my sig for historical purposes^

#18 nightmare

nightmare

Game Maker Oldbie

• GMC Member
  • 435 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:44 AM

I can't even remember the exact year I joined, but the GMC wasn't even this one. It was an older one hosted on something called Ezboard I think.

Joined this one within the first few weeks of it opening I think, put a lot of WIP projects on here and maybe one finished one. A lot of my projects over the years have ended up not being finished, lol.

GM4.3 I think was the latest version of GM when I started. Still had a similar layout to the UI we know today but it looked a lot more crude visually.

Edited by nightmare, 17 January 2016 - 02:46 AM.

2nq6rnq.jpg

#19 Floofpaws

Floofpaws

Fox

• GMC Member
  • 2161 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 03:03 AM

I joined in 2009 and posted a bunch of cringey things and then didn't do anything until around 2013 and then I became active again and changed my online persona to start over. Made a lot of danmaku/bullet hell stuff, participated in Jams, played around in Forum Games and updated my status once or twice a day. When I met my first BF I stopped being so active and didn't make many games but still participated in Jams (though I didn't often finish my entry). Some time in early 2015 I regained my motivation and started making games more again and finished more Jam entries.

I never really tried getting as close to the other members here as I'd wanted to. But I try to create enough noise to not be forgotten.

TL;DR I LIVE to participate in the GMC Jam

Edited by Floofpaws, 17 January 2016 - 03:07 AM.

#20 hippyman

hippyman

Dirty Stinky Hippy

• GMC Member
  • 837 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 03:15 AM

I'm HIppyman.

I'm just a dirty stinky hippy. 

dirtystinkyhippy.jpg?dl=0

Edited by hippyman, 17 January 2016 - 03:16 AM.

badge.png?dl=0

HM Audio Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/hm-audio

#21 xygthop3

xygthop3

You may know me from such forums as "Shaders"

• GMC Member
  • 3367 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 03:22 AM

I've been xygthop3 and you've been great GMC.

giphy.gif

#22 Overloaded

Overloaded

Oneirophobia

• GMC Member
  • 995 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:24 PM

I am Manolis, and I use Overloaded as my glorious nickname. Who am I? A game developer. And I am grateful for this forum's existance, as it was my first big step into game making, and it still helps me today.

I joined the forums at 27th October 2011, with my nickname being "D4RknEZz". That is 4 years, 2 months and 21 days ago from this time I am writing this post. I seriously can't believe that so much time have passed since my entrance to the community. I was acting silly at the beginning (I was about 12 years old, after all) and maybe I still am. But I feel like I've improved. The way I'm acting, my programming skills, my developer skills, my character. The community played a major role in helping me improve myself.

I joined all Jams from #9 to #13 with my real-life friend Jagtiger, published under our team's name "Doxy Games". Back then I was glad that I made so many "good" games and I was surprised that I didn't get enough votes to reach the top places. But now, I look back to the games I've made and I feel like I could've done better. I feel the improvement. Now, we've been renamed to "Orama Game Studios" and we are working on a 2D RPG called Oneirophobia. Our first big game, and a big step to making our dreams becoming a reality.

I also made new friends here. Who can forget about the "You must not say duck" topic, which led to the creation of the Cult of the Great Duckieness? Or the fun we are having on the Minecraft server right now? And countless other topics and discussions. I always felt like the GMC is my internet family. I've received help a thousand times from here, either programming-related or regarding personal issues.

So I want to say thank you, to everyone, for everything. You are all amazing. Normally, I would be sad that the GMC is dying. But I am not. Because it isn't dying. It is being reborn. All the memories and experiences we've gathered from the past, shall be used to craft our future. Look forward, and embrace it.

See you on the other side, everyone. And remember. Every end is a new beginning. :duck:

gmc_signature.png

Upcoming 2D Turn-Based RPG. You can visit our website, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Check out my GM Marketplace Assets!

Follow me on Twitter: @OVLDD

#23 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:08 PM

I am Silvio; I go by Mercerenies on most of the Internet. I was originally a YYGF member, joining in late middle school a few years before the nuking. I made several good friends there and won the 10K Challenge. Then I migrated over to the GMC when the YYGF was shut down. I tried out Jam 8 as my first Jam, which I messed up considerably. Jams 9 and 10 didn't go so well; I had to drop out due to technical issues. Through 11, 12, and 13, I gradually moved up the rankings, until in Jam 15 I got my first top ten place with Bridges: the Game. Since then, I've participated in every GMC Jam and scored reasonably well, with Jam 20 being my best rank yet, scoring 6th place with Stick and Stone, a game Hizno and I made.

Outside of Jams, I've averaged about one finished game a year. In early 2013, I finished Demensitis, my text-based adventure game that I worked on for about a year. In 2014 (quite literally on Dec 31, 2014, too), I finished Loop: An Adventure Through Time, a time travel platformer that took about six months to make. In 2015, I made Endless Rail, a shorter one-month project that ended up being my first released mobile game and is currently available on Google Play.

Those of you from back on YYGF will remember that I used to frequent only the forum games. As such, I've made several that people seem to have liked, most notably Conquerers (the typo is canon), Rulers of Darkness (1 and 2), Eclipse of the Tower, The People's Mafia, Sandwich Robots, and Wish Upon a Star. I'll be starting up WUAS on the new community, and on request I'll migrate any other one of those topics over.

When I joined YYGF, I was an introvert and really had no IRL friends. This community became my home, and I developed my first really close friends on it. As I progressed into secondary and now postsecondary school, I became less introverted, but I think I never lost that part of this community that those first few years on YYGF and then GMC gave me. I never lost those friendships, even with those who never joined the GMC or who joined and aren't active anymore. All I can say is: it's been great. I hope to see every one of you on the other side when the forums come back up.
iPqfGiP.png

#24 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:24 PM

i i m icuurd12b42 i 8 2 c 4m  :GM058:

;)

Been here since 2006

Edited by icuurd12b42, 18 January 2016 - 07:25 PM.

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#25 TehPilot

TehPilot

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

• GMC Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:44 PM

I'm boring and participate in GMC Jams, also I had a lot of really cool forum games if you're into that. Outside of that, my presence isn't as great here.

I'll make an effort to participate in the community and contribute more after the switchover.

-~✈~-
To infinity, and surround!

#26 Mobi.LeBean

Mobi.LeBean

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:46 PM

Nope, still don't get it  :lol:

i i m icuurd12b42 i 8 2 c 4m  :GM058:

;)

Been here since 2006

#27 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:50 PM

I ate to see form chance?

I don't get it either.

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

The GMC, here lies she. Kicked to the curb, with nary a word. She shall live on, though. Remain strong, bros.

#28 Detective Pixel

Detective Pixel

GMC Dancer

• GMC Member
  • 555 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:54 PM

I am Detective Pixel.

DanceJam20.gif

I dance.

PIXEL_Archive.png

#29 TehPilot

TehPilot

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

• GMC Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:55 PM

"I eight to c four-m die" -> I hate to see forum die?

I think. I could be close or completely wrong.

-~✈~-
To infinity, and surround!

#30 kepons

kepons

The Pear

• GMC Member
  • 999 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:56 PM

I am Kepons. For the most of my time on the GMC, I've been an insignificant person mostly reading topics and never engaging in discussions much. I occasionally make games, have been religiously participating in the GMC Jam since the 12th one.

The lowercase first letter of my name has been bugging me forever but I've never really bothered with requesting it to be changed.

Edited by kepons, 18 January 2016 - 08:10 PM.

This forum has been archived. The content above may differ from my current opinion.

Twitter | GameJolt | Ask.fm
prize_award_4_zpsvm0hohkp.png

#31 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:03 PM

I'm Carnivac and I signed up here in Oct 2003.  And all these years later this incarnation of the GMC is closing...

...and I STILL haven't finished a frickin' game project in all that time. 

:D

Edited by Carnivac, 18 January 2016 - 08:03 PM.

#32 roytheshort

roytheshort

The Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 539 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:06 PM

Hey, I'll do this seriously if you guys actually want this. Now, I've been a member of the GMC since back in 2009 when I joined the Yoyogames Sandbox. You're probably wondering why I was on the Sandbox, well, the Sandbox used to have a set of Forums, the Yoyogames Forums. An idiot like me didn't really make many games, I usually save my productivity when I actually have to do something or I'm so bored that being productive is the new procrastination. All of you have probably heard of the Yoyogames Forums, but I felt the need to explain it anyway, it was one of those small broken forums that had a few barely used boards and a community of people who were also bored. Star members really shone there, like Trollsplaterer who I think was Swedish and that guy who made a massive game called balland battles or something when he was 13 then gave up game development even though he had a really good chance at a career.

"Get back on topic", I hear you say, well I'm actually finishing some finance type degree at the moment because I'm not going to push myself to do much else to be honest, it maximizes my usefulness of degree vs effort I have to get to actually do it. Your finances are safe with me, please send me your money. Game development forums are some of the calmer places online and most active, so it makes sense to post in them, I'm saying that, but whatever. On any other place you'll get flame wars discussing politics, this is the ideal place for that and any other type of discussion, why do you think Off Topic gets topics about fixing cars? Go anywhere else and you'll get shouted at, a savvy user knows they're safe here. Play your cards right and you'll realize I've just been kidding throughout this whole thing and if you read the first letter of every sentence you'll have a fun time.

#33 Detective Pixel

Detective Pixel

GMC Dancer

• GMC Member
  • 555 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:20 AM

-Snip-

I am not sure what to think anymore.

PIXEL_Archive.png

#34 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:24 AM

I'm Carnivac and I signed up here in Oct 2003.  And all these years later this incarnation of the GMC is closing...

...and I STILL haven't finished a frickin' game project in all that time. 

:D

Wow and I thought I was bad about that. :P For me, it's been about 10 years and I still haven't finished a game.

I remember seeing one of your games before and it looked amazing.

Good luck on finishing your game. I really mean it. :P

Edited by Mr. RPG, 19 January 2016 - 04:26 AM.

#35 obscene

obscene

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3171 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:29 AM

I will miss the old GMC. It is probably my favorite-functioning board I've ever enountered. I hope you guys try to make the new one look similar. See you guys on the other side.

#36 Lukan Spellweaver

Lukan Spellweaver

• GMC Member
  • 3704 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:42 AM

Roy made a semi serious post... It's the end alright...

DeEuDARh.pngi1SR21Q.png

#37 Xer0botXer0

Xer0botXer0

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 770 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:57 AM

Hi GMC, although many of you are unaware, I am quite mad.

I registered back in Dec 2011, this was around the time I discovered free internet from a social network user and felt like a hacker or some thing. I'm not sure how I got here though..

Around that same time I discovered a game which I spent my loner life enjoying, getting banned, building up a great account, violating rules borderline style, getting banned. When ever I tried to login to an old account it was like .. you are banned for 388498 hours.. when the game shut down my old accounts had a little hours left and that was disappointing. They'd be team op those accounts. And the game was great.

So here I am bam! wanting to recreate the experience I once enjoyed so much, it is my main project. I find the forums to be genuinely helpful. To my curiosity, for chakra meditation. For killing time at work, and of course for the resources it has had. 

I forgot what this thread is about.

I don't know what I was saying.

It made sense at the time.

Ah yes.. I just wanted to participate in this activity XD my story lame. gotta set a standard i think this is the minimal ._. anyone that does worse deserves spaanks and a bowl of cooked pumpkin. euw

//=====================

Good bye, Farewell GMC! :D

See you all in the next TIER!

======================\\

#38 Ninety

Ninety

I just want to see if the mods will waive the character limit.

• GMC Member
  • 846 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:58 AM

I've just been kidding throughout this whole thing and if you read the first letter of every sentence you'll have a fun time.

hnyaasgygogap?

ka0eZdt.png
twitter | soundcloud | gmcomicified | ask.fm | homestead | itch.io | TIGsource

goodnight, sweet prince

#39 Ultimate Omicron

Ultimate Omicron

• 949 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:15 AM

I'm actually on my second account, and I honestly don't remember why I couldn't use the old one.

I started with game maker 11 years ago. To this day, I've finished less than 11 games. Went through literal thousands of prototypes without finding much worth finishing. I have maybe three games I can call completed, and too many sandbox entries better left forgotten.

Three years ago I got my first job with game maker itself. But it was in-loco and kinda bad, so two years  later I found a better job, with game maker.

And people kept telling me I would never make a career in game development.

Now I just work and study with game maker, and on the spare time I make fangames and dumb prototypes with game maker.

My life is game maker.

I also run a forum, because I obviously don't have enough tings to do! And there, I teach people how to game maker. It's fun.

Even when I visit my friends, I always make sure first thing that their game maker is updated. Seriously.

I go on mantis every day.

I'll be around MORE with the new forums.

#40 Loaf

Loaf

Just loafing around

• 2164 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:16 AM

This website will always be defined by the following things to me:

• The days of GMTech, Markup, and the peak of the GameMaker blog under Phil Gambles enjoyably snide commentary
  • When making "suboses", Pokemon GBA clones, and 2D GTA clones was the rage
  • How people still dreamed of selling their game on CD in store, and shared their experiences about their attempts 
  • When it was cool to make, and use, those 'signature banner creators'
  • When everyone kept thinking Sandy Duncan was a woman

I don't really have nostalgia for the late GameMaker community because everything feels very recent since Studio came along and opportunities opened up. 

Sorry to be a downer, but I think this is a good time to remember the people who are no longer with us. I can't personally reflect on GameMaker without remembering RTII who died in late 2010.

*I was gonna post something from RTII  here but copied the wrong thing and just lost it so hang on

Edited by Loaf, 19 January 2016 - 05:21 AM.

:duck:

#41 Mobi.LeBean

Mobi.LeBean

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:36 AM

You mean "potato".

• When everyone kept thinking Sandy Duncan was a woman

#42 Forester

Forester

The One And Only Enragement Cat

• GMC Member
  • 412 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:48 AM

I proposed to a mod once. Other than that I'm just an obscure guy from South Africa who likes making lame unfinished jam games.

I joined a while back in 2012. I remember first trying to make a sandbox forum account, but they were currently experiencing problems with hackers.

It was the small things that made me stay and love the GMC. Things that the members themselves probs don't even remember. Leafen befreinding me so randomly, Yal telling me that she was there if I needed someone to talk to after my brother dieded, sweetluvinbizkit being supportive of my early music efforts. Kepons and I starting a beard race - which I totally won. And the awesome helpfulness of Tsuka and GameGeisha and everyone else who helped out on the Q&A forum when I posted stupidly n00by questions which I should have looked up in the help file first anyways.

Its been a good run. Stay awesome GMC ~ ^_^

(I'll say "Hello from the other siiiiiIIIiIiIIIiiiIIIIIIIide!")

Edited by Forester, 19 January 2016 - 09:21 AM.

gg guys - wp

Forester.jpg
soundcloud - twitter - facebook - ask.fm - advc

#43 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:19 AM

I've just been kidding throughout this whole thing and if you read the first letter of every sentence you'll have a fun time.

hnyaasgygogap?

same

#44 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:28 AM

I suppose I'll engage in a little reminiscing as well. :)

I first joined the GMC in September 2006 under a different account (I can't recall why I made a new account although I think it was because I wanted to use a new username). This was one of the first internet forums I ever joined and over the years I've seen both these forums and GameMaker grow and prosper under both Mark and YoYo Games.

GameMaker 6.0 was the first version I used. I was immediately blown away at the power and flexibility it had, but I was not prepared for how difficult it would be to make a game. Video games have been such an important part of my life and I had always wanted to make them as a kid, but in my young age I completely ignored the complexity and scope of such projects. Even though I had no idea what I was doing and everything I made was garbage, I refused to give up. I think a lot of my post history speaks for itself unfortunately. :P In the 10 years I have been here, the members of the GMC have always been an important and immeasurable source of knowledge and help. So to all you, thank you!

I owe most of my origins and interest in both software development and computer hardware largely to my love for GameMaker and my older brother who encouraged me to learn a programming language at an early age. He's a lot more experienced than I am in this field and his help has been invaluable to me.

It's truly amazing how far GameMaker has progressed under the direction of YoYo Games. While in the past I tended to criticize them a lot on many things, I think ultimately they've done a great job in handling GameMaker and I am very excited for the long awaited arrival of 2.0.

Lastly, since I have been here for all of my teenage years, I want to apologize for anything silly or dumb I've said to anyone.~ :P

Edit: Grammar and clarity.

Edited by Mr. RPG, 19 January 2016 - 08:17 AM.

#45 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:39 AM

Lastly, since I have been here for all of my teenage years, I want to apologize for anything silly or dumb I've said to anyone.~ :P

Yeah, same. I registered back when I was ten, in February of 06. Got banned due to.. let's say, "10-year-old enthusiasm". Was allowed a new account (by Smarty specifically), and have been here since.

I'm twenty now.

#46 HayManMarc

HayManMarc

The HayMan

• GMC Member
  • 1776 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:46 AM

I'm HayManMarc.  I have a scarecrow for an avatar.  

I found GameMaker at version 4 or 5, with absolutely zero programming experience, besides a couple semesters of apple basic in middle/high school.  I thought it would be neat to be able to make a game.  That was back in ??  02?  03?  I dunno.  The GMC was a blue-colored place back then and GM still had a red hammer on it's logo.

I tried using the software, and it took me a while to figure it out.  Drag & Drop was my friend.  It seems so long ago.

As I more often found that D&D wouldn't quite do the things I wanted, I began to fail the learning curve.  I didn't do much with GameMaker and my little idea never went anywhere.  But I never forgot, and making a game remained in the back of my mind as a personal goal.

Years passed, I got married, had kids, and finally opened GameMaker again for another look around 09.  Hit and miss with attention for 2-3 years, then I found my first GMC Jam --- #8 - Facade.  Been hooked and borderline obsessed ever since.

Still have yet to release a truly complete game.  I hope I do, someday..... ... ... and become super-rich and famous and be boss of the world.  The end.

Oh... and peace, love, and kindness to all.

-------------

This has been a broadcast of the HMM Thoughts System.  This will be our last post to the GMC forum, as this forum will be archived in the very near future and HayManMarc wanted 1776 posts as his final post count, because... why not?  The end, for reals this time.

sigpic1_gmc_archive.png

sigpic2_gmc_archive.png

#47 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:30 AM

Oh man, this is great. I'm Bret Hudson, and I joined the GMC in 2008 as bretboy129. This was around the time the second YYG Competition wrapped up, with Caveman Craig taking second place and me being furious it didn't win first. I'm still mad, by the way.

Here I started Glitchy Games, a game dev team that made games in Game Maker (back when it had the space) and tried to become indie rockstars. That might have happened had we had the experience and work ethic to actually finish things!

I was part of GMIndie back in the day (high five to anyone who remembers that!) and from its ashes I created indie(Function);, which saw lots of critique and feedback here in its early days. Over time, we evolved as individuals and a team, and started to produce great content, all thanks to the harsh criticisms and praise here that helped shape us into better creators. A few of the people around these forums also joined the team for a while, and their contributions will always be remembered.

I was part of one of the first GMC Jams, in which I decided to make "Catch the Clown 2", a satirical game about ending the reign of new Game Maker users uploading reskinned versions of the YYG official GM tutorials on the YYG sandbox. Oh yeah, that was a thing. I miss that site.

The most important thing that I can take away from the GMC is it gave me a place to feel less like a notice game developer who has no idea what they're doing, but rather as a member of this collective of creative individuals who are all working towards bettering themselves, to be the best game developers they can be. The friends I've met here are amazing, and I've even met one or two of them in real life along my journeys.

This forum will forever hold a special place in my heart. Thanks to all of you, and I hope to see you all on the new forum, creating a new place for people to learn and have fun making games.

#48 NotWhoYouThink

NotWhoYouThink

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1061 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:35 AM

Hey, I'll do this seriously if you guys actually want this. Now, I've been a member of the GMC since back in 2009 when I joined the Yoyogames Sandbox. You're probably wondering why I was on the Sandbox, well, the Sandbox used to have a set of Forums, the Yoyogames Forums. An idiot like me didn't really make many games, I usually save my productivity when I actually have to do something or I'm so bored that being productive is the new procrastination. All of you have probably heard of the Yoyogames Forums, but I felt the need to explain it anyway, it was one of those small broken forums that had a few barely used boards and a community of people who were also bored. Star members really shone there, like Trollsplaterer who I think was Swedish and that guy who made a massive game called balland battles or something when he was 13 then gave up game development even though he had a really good chance at a career.

"Get back on topic", I hear you say, well I'm actually finishing some finance type degree at the moment because I'm not going to push myself to do much else to be honest, it maximizes my usefulness of degree vs effort I have to get to actually do it. Your finances are safe with me, please send me your money. Game development forums are some of the calmer places online and most active, so it makes sense to post in them, I'm saying that, but whatever. On any other place you'll get flame wars discussing politics, this is the ideal place for that and any other type of discussion, why do you think Off Topic gets topics about fixing cars? Go anywhere else and you'll get shouted at, a savvy user knows they're safe here. Play your cards right and you'll realize I've just been kidding throughout this whole thing and if you read the first letter of every sentence you'll have a fun time.

Roy...

ROY IS A PERSON?!??!?!?!?!?

*dies*

Edited by Flaeon, 19 January 2016 - 08:36 AM.

This forum is archived. The above may not reflect my current opinion, or may be irrelevant now.

#49 roytheshort

roytheshort

The Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 539 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:32 AM

hnyaasgygogap?

God damn it I ruined it.

#50 HopelessComposer

HopelessComposer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1337 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:39 PM

I'm a person who makes games. I've been here for over ten years. I'm making something amazing right now. Soon I'll be rich from it. I'll be celebrating the launch of the new forum by showing you guys my Kickstarter and saying "lol, I'm rich now, ya jerks!" This is my last post here. See you all on the new forum. I already said it before, but:

b1aaec5358f636d09ce0fc2160c00923.png

Edited by HopelessComposer, 26 January 2016 - 08:50 PM.