#1 general sirhc

general sirhc

Dream Big, Act Small

• GMC Member
  • 1667 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:47 AM

Spaceship Builder Alpha

Description: Spaceship Builder Alpha is a 2d top down spaceship builder game with basic AI to battle.

Here is the current feature list:

• Drag and Drop building screen
  • Customisable key mapping
  • Power system that designates how the ship runs
  • In game tool tips which you will need to understand setting up circuits and key mappings
  • Basic somewhat dumb but funny AI
  • Physics!
  • Saving and loading ships
  • Auto load last ship

From this point I hope to judge interest on this project which will help me decide on how much time I will dedicate to this.
Future features that will depend upon interest levels

• Online Multiplayer
  • Procedurally generated universe include asteroid belts, planets
  • Smarter AI
  • A lot more ship parts
  • Player leveling which will boost part performance rather than "better" and "worse" parts resulting in limited ship designs

If you're interested in this project, please consider donating.
btn_donateCC_LG.gif

Screenshots:

Dog Fights
nLVNxxI.jpg?1

More Picture

Spoiler

Stuck?
Here is some tips that might help

1. As you place parts on your ship think about how they will be powered, guns won't fire if they don't have enough power
  2. To allow 100% flexibility you need to setup the controls yourself, this is done through "Map Controls", check the help tips in there
  3. Constantly dying? Add some shields!

Edited by general sirhc, 15 January 2016 - 12:39 AM.

qs8ZFMQ.png?1

#2 rytan451

rytan451

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:15 AM

Wow.

I am downloading this now, but your screenshots look impressive enough.  I would love to see this when it is finished.  The mechanics look great.

You may want to work on the art a bit.

Edit:

Ah, problem.

Spoiler

Edited by rytan451, 12 January 2016 - 08:58 AM.

This forum is, or will be archived, and the above may not reflect my current opinions.

#3 general sirhc

general sirhc

Dream Big, Act Small

• GMC Member
  • 1667 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:52 AM

rytan451, I will work on fixing that bug.

I would love to hear any other feedback you have other than that bug.

qs8ZFMQ.png?1

#4 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:45 PM

I like the way this is shaping up.  Add I didn't experience any errors.  Unfortunately, I couldn't really figure out the controls.  I was able to add engines and guns, after looking to see how the enemies were configured.  But I couldn't figure out how to control my ship (move, fire, etc).  I tried mapping some keys, but I couldn't figure out the instructions.

Some suggestions to consider:

- add default controls to start with, so mapping isn't necessary unless the player wants to change them.

- put a "test" button on the build screen, so players can immediately test their creations without worrying about enemies right away.

- label the various parts (engine, gun, shield, etc).  Because the function isn't always obvious from their shape.

- slow the rotation speed when making parts adjustments.  Because it's difficult to get exactly 90 degrees, for example.  It's like 84, 89, 93..whoops, back up...93, 91, 88... damn  :P

But overall, this has good potential.  The graphics and special effects are nice.  Good sounds too.  Fun to play with.  So nice job so far.

EDIT:  ditch the installer for now.  Alpha versions shouldn't use installers.  And generally, this may reduce your downloads, because many people don't like installers.  Instead, use the zip option in Studio.

Edited by chance, 12 January 2016 - 01:49 PM.

#5 general sirhc

general sirhc

Dream Big, Act Small

• GMC Member
  • 1667 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:41 AM

chance, thanks for the feedback.

In response I have uploaded version 2.6 which now includes

A starting ship for new players to look at to work out how controls and parts are linked

A test button which has no enemies

Labels on each of the parts, hopefully the label text is clear enough for what they do

Slower rotation for slow rotation

Fixed numerous bugs too

qs8ZFMQ.png?1

#6 gulden

gulden

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:29 PM

Just played it! Great job so far!

One thing which was a bit frustrating, was, that the enemies ship are very fast in your screen and start attacking.

Would be cool, to have a bigger battlefield, where you have time to turn/react and get in a better position

For the background you could do some cool parallex scrolling

Are you planing mostly multiplayer or will there be levels/missions?

I could imagine it would be cool, if you have a mission with X enemies and you can only spend Y credits on space ship parts :)

#7 Durge

Durge

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 44 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:27 PM

Hey, so I played your game, and it is superb! I absolutely love the concept. You see, I've done something very similar to this in a game called LBP2. What I would do is create mechs (ships) and battle. Little Big Planet is a creative sandbox type game, with three main games in the franchise (LBP1, LBP2, and LBP3) available for the PS3 and PS4. 

Since I have extensive knowledge on mech battling, and I spent 2 or 3 hours in the ship editor, I'll give you some suggestions. 

-I would definitely add the ability for the player to bind keys to directional movement. For example, the left key would move the player left, regardless of which direction the ship is facing. Also, I would add gyroscopic turning. Basically have the front of a ship face the mouse. These could all be "Setting" or "Chips" added to a mech, since rocket movement is a bit primitive. An entire chip system, with upgrades and certain attributes would be nice. I know while mech battling on lbp2, we all started with primitive rocket movement. However, as we grew, we eventually used movements that were precise and instantaneous. There is a chip that effects anti-gravity and dampening. When dampening is set to 100%, the mech wont move at all, not even when something hits it, it's basically suspended in space. Some of these settings could actually be toggled by a player in real time, like the dampening effect. Dampening would also come in handy when a mech has stopped moving, because then it wouldn't continue to float or rotate. 

-In the same way that ships can be saved, maybe a way of creating and saving projectiles. These projectiles could then be emitted (shot out of an emitter or cannon). 

-Add maybe some binding pieces, like chains or pistons. And maybe even some armor, something that doesn't have a force field like the shields, but just takes some of the damage received.

-Another thing I would add is breakable pieces. Once a piece has sustained enough damage, or undergone enough friction, it would simply break. 

-Explosives would both add to frictional damage, as well as physical damage. Projectiles could range from sticky bombs, to hologram beams and hologram bombs. Lazers, nano storms, plasma, fire, etc. The possibilities would be endless. 

-I wasn't a huge fan of the energy system, it seems a bit complex from the onset, even though I got a hang of it. I might be a bit biased in that regard, but an easy way to mend that and the lag would be to have a heat gauge on a ship instead. For example, rockets, cannons, and shields would all produce heat, and when that heat is simultaneously exceeded, the mech would reduce the functionality of all active elements until it has cooled. This would allow the player to blaze the cannons, or crank the shields in a pinch. It would also allow flexibility to players who like to stock up on weapons, or spread them out. The heat gauge would build slowly over time from the use of a single cannon, but it would instantly fill and then unfill from a barge of many cannons (kind of like the difference between a shotgun and a machine gun). If you decide to keep the energy mechanic, you could even build on this by allowing the power of each cannon shot to be determined by how much power is being supplied to the cell. 

I know that's a lot of information and ideas, and I understand that it's indefeasible to add all of those. My non-mech battle related suggestions would be:

-To simplify the creation process (it can at least be made easier and more intuitive, yet enjoy the luxury of that wide range of customization).

-Some objects can be glitched slightly inside one another while placing them.

-The angle of horizontal and vertical mirrored objects can get un-even. 

-Have players even build parts themselves, save and load parts. The player could then load that object while working on his/her ship, or delete it. 

-I think that objects should be bound individually, instead of having those 9 nodes. It's complicated working with those, and especially a strain on the fingers if you are spending hours at a time working on a ship. 

-Pieces should definitely be drag-able while working on them. To have the ability to drag, delete, copy, stamp (that means place multiple of) and flip would be very nice. LBP solved the issue of pasting objects together as well, you may conciser having a paste feature, or pistons/chains/bolts/etc. 

I think this is a great alpha with a lot of potential to be a great game. It reminds me of LBP2 mixed with kingdom hearts gummie ship editor. Keep up the great work man, I hope it gets the attention it deserves. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: desktop, shooter, 2d, action, tds