Photo

How patient and understanding is this community?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 TylerJunky01

TylerJunky01

GMC Member

• 3 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:27 PM

So I bought Gamemaker Studio and want to make an RPG with a battle system simmiler to the first two Fallout games  with the only diffrence being the destince between an enemy alters the damage of the gun your useing. I know that that is a HUGE under takeing especially since I'm only just begun useing GML. But I'm intending to first learn the ins and outs by making a doom fan game. That's where I want some help. Over the years I've relized that I learn best through instruction and exsample. So my question is how patient is this community when it comes to working with noobs. And if anyone is willing to mentor me?  

Edited by TylerJunky01, 10 January 2016 - 03:28 PM.

#2 Barvix

Barvix

Legend Of Carrot

• GMC:Member
  • 1019 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:33 PM

So I bought Gamemaker Studio and want to make an RPG with a battle system simmiler to the first two Fallout games  with the only diffrence being the destince between an enemy alters the damage of the gun your useing. I know that that is a HUGE under takeing especially since I'm only just begun useing GML. But I'm intending to first learn the ins and outs by making a doom fan game. That's where I want some help. Over the years I've relized that I learn best through instruction and exsample. So my question is how patient is this community when it comes to working with noobs. And if anyone is willing to mentor me?  

For something like this....a bit of annoyance comes to mind. Making a 3D game in GML is no easy task, yet alone something like Fallout. We are patient with n00bs, but not when they just ask people to write an engine for them, which seems like you are asking or will ask very soon.

#3 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 6565 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:01 PM

We are patient towards well-meaning, feet-on-the-ground, and independently thinking novices.

We are NOT patient for the following:

• People who ask for entire engines without a proper paid job offer
  • People who refuse to work on basics before attempting large projects
  • People who excuse themselves under the guise of self-prescribed "learning styles", autism or dyslexia
  • People who defer all problem-solving to other people
  • People who don't adequately read Manuals or other written resources
  • People who ask for hands-on help without trying anything themselves

Your request reeks of these characteristics and I am quite tempted not to be patient or understanding with you.

GameGeisha

Latest Releases:
  • GMLinear --- Matrix and vector math in one line!
  • GMAssert --- Debug invalid values and write quick unit tests with ease!
  • KameGMS --- Bring up TortoiseSVN and TortoiseGit dialogs from within the GMS IDE!
  • JSOnion v1.1 --- The stink-free way to handle JSON! (even deeply nested ones)

#4 devonhg

devonhg

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 354 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:21 PM

Well Tyler, you got your answer.

Quite frankly, it's because of the persistence of people like Game Geisha against rookies who don't understand what they are undertaking that I stepped away from this community.

I believe everyone has the capacity to learn, even you Tyler. Not very many people will be able to mentor you, you will be doing a lot of work on your own ( Hence, independent game development ).

Lurk these forums a lot, you will find that 9 times out of 10 whatever questions you have are already answered if you look hard enough. For your first project start small. Follow the tutorials provided by Game Maker for some ideas and try making something. You can then post them on itch.io or gamejolt and see how they go.

If this is really what you want to do, you will have no problem working your ass off as we've all here have done.

g7875_small.png

Passion in Illustration, Web, and Game Development

Website | Projects | Facebook | Twitter

#5 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:37 PM

So my question is how patient is this community when it comes to working with noobs.

We have members who are infinitely patient, members who are jerks, and everything in between.  Just like real life.  But as others said, if you make an attempt at problem solving on your own, you'll find most members willing to help.

The biggest favor you can do for yourself is to start with a simple game.  Focus on learning basic programming techniques.

#6 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:32 PM

If you want to learn make an RPG by example, go to the marketplace and but the YoYo RPG engine. It'll keep you going for months/years and give you a great start.