15 replies to this topic

#1 pieterator

pieterator

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 49 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:09 AM

A fresh new year with a fresh new prototype, things are starting well!

I wanted to make a 2D Beat 'em Up style game like the Streets of Rage and Dragons Crown, but with the combat mechanics you'd find in modern day fighting games like Guilty Gear and Marvel vs Capcom. I also drew a little from Devil May Cry in that you have a Style Gauge (top left). The more varied your moves, the higher your Style Rank goes and the more damage you do (though the dummies are invincible). I realize that the mashup of these two genres could lead to it being a hyper niche game, but these are the types of game I want to make, so my fate is sealed :)

The purpose of this prototype is to test whether the combat on its own is fun, as it would be the core component of the game. So please have a go, whack out some combos and let me know what you think.

The game has keyboard and controller support, so just press "Enter" on the keyboard, or "Start" on the controller to start using them. Shout out to Mexicanopiumdog for providing me with some sound effects so you don't have to play in silence ;)

Download below, movelist at bottom of post.

Brawler Build 27

Old Builds

Brawler V1.0.0.3

brawler_build_27_by_pieterator-d9svj6l.p

Movelist (Input assumes player facing right)
WASD: ^ v < >
JKNM: Jab, Kick, N...Jump, Mashinegun

Movement
Dash and Air Dash: > >
Jump in Air for Double Jump

Tier 1 Moves:
Ground: J, JJ, JJJ, K, M
Air: J, K, M

Tier 2 Moves:
Ground: v+J, ^ ^+J, v v+J, ^+K, > >+K, v+K
Air: v+J, > >+J, > >+K, v+K

Tier 3 Moves:
Ground: > >+K
Air: > >+J

Edited by pieterator, 05 March 2016 - 06:05 AM.

#2 Neon Jackal

Neon Jackal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 173 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:13 AM

Definitely looks impressive, I'll give it a go later when I get a chance.

EDIT: Spent about 5 minutes with it and thought it felt very good. The lunging punch, I felt the distance and/or speed was a bit annoying, I kept flying past enemies when I meant to just turn around and hit them. A couple of times I was able to infinitely combo the aerial down kick and just bounce off the one enemy. Apart from that, the rest was really solid and easy to play.

Edited by Neon Jackal, 09 January 2016 - 04:41 PM.

#3 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3429 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:40 PM

If Streets of Rage 2 and 3 (best beat'em ups of all time imo) are inspiration for the design of this game, I will have to play this!!

----------------------------------------- Always need testers! -------------------------------------------------------

The Life Ruby (Metroidvania platformer / Skills platformer)

(alpha section)

http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=658670&hl=

#4 cuedaninja

cuedaninja

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:26 PM

I'll try to check it out...luv those retro Beatemups like DD, SoR and FF.

EN4a09N.png

Now Available! Now On Android/Google Play App Market!

Coming Soon To Apple/iTunes and other Mobile Game App Stores!

#5 pieterator

pieterator

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:20 PM

Neon Jackal: Thanks for giving it a go. I am aware of the infinites, but the turn around lunge punch is a definite concern, I'll look into some way of fixing that. Thanks for the positive feedback :)

RangerX & cuedaninja: A lot is being drawn from the beat 'em up genre, however the combat is nothing like the traditional beat 'em up. The player is given way more control over individual moves. Combos are not scripted, various combo routes are given and it's up to the player how they link them together. So combat is "loose" like in a fighting game like Guilty Gear or Street Fighter, and will rely a lot on reacting to specific situations.

#6 Chillanum

Chillanum

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:25 AM

i love it. cant wait to see what the actual art will look like , good luck!

28ee9e785e-trenodoel2.png5f5f1a1a56-9090tp.png

Team Perious Lead Artist
http://www.TeamPerious.com/
Doro Online

#7 ElectroBOX

ElectroBOX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:35 AM

The purpose of this prototype is to test whether the combat on its own is fun, as it would be the core component of the game. So please have a go, whack out some combos and let me know what you think.

Yes, the combat on its own does seem fun.  The mashup of 2d beat-em ups with traditional fighters seems to be working rather well here.  Looking forward to playing more :)

#8 pieterator

pieterator

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:07 AM

Hey guys, I'm very existed to present you with the newest version of Brawler, now with the gorgeous art of Dawid Strauss. Download it here:

Brawler Build 27

The game now supports 4 Player Co-op, so grab a friend or two, plug in some controllers and beat down on some land sharks. Press Start on the gamepad or Spacebar on the keyboard to join in at the title screen. Then mash the jump button ("N" or X).

The inputs for the moves have changed, so be sure to check out the revised movelist in the OP.

I'll update with some animated gifs of gameplay later in the week.
Big thanks to Deon van Heerden, Greg and Andrew_Sound_Foundry for providing some fantastic music for the stages.

brawler_build_27_by_pieterator-d9svj6l.p

Ps, the game WILL crash at some stage. Doing my best to find a fix for it.

#9 Durge

Durge

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 44 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:03 AM

You mentioned the game crashing at some stage. For me, consistently, the game wouldn't go past the start screen. I would press space when it said [Press Start] and then the flashing text would disappear but the title screen would still be there. Also, there was no real indication that the game crashed, windows didn't give me any alerts, and I was able to close the window just by clicking on the X. I think the problem is somewhere in the code. I was looking forward to trying the game out, hopefully you can get this fixed. 

#10 pieterator

pieterator

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:39 PM

Hi Durge, just press "N" on the keyboard to advance the menus (Sorry for the confusion here).

The "X" referred to the buttons on a XBox controller.

The crash only happens during gameplay.

#11 Mocgames998

Mocgames998

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:25 AM

I found the crash I think. A script is passing off variables/calling to a non-existent object.

Also has potential to be one of the best beat-em-ups of the 2010s!

Those controls are tight, and fluid, and work incredibly well for this sort of game.

???

It looks like I can finally put something here, before the GMC goes down:

Spoiler

#12 Durge

Durge

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:30 AM

Holy Moly I like it! Wow this game is brimming with potential, I especially like the 2.5D playing field. Too many fighters now-a-days are restricted to a 2D path. This game kinda reminds me of Veiwtiful Joe. Keep up the great work!

Edit: My first review didn't do this game justice. When the previous comment mentioned that this game could be the best beat-em-up of the 2010's, he wasn't lying. Remarkable work. I like how you've captured the essence of some of my favorite vintage BEU games like "Streets of Rage" and "Final Fight". When I saw the aerial recovery (like in kingdom hearts 2) I flipped. It's obvious that a lot of time and effort has gone into this game, it shows. The controls are smooth, they flow and never seize up. I've been playing video games my entire life, I had a Super Nintendo with Super Mario RPG in my living room, played on the same tv that I saw the 9/11 news report. So, there's no doubt as to the extent which I've played, and I'm very critical of imperfections. However, for your game, I was delighted. I can see this becoming very popular, the game-play is great. I'm just interested to see what type of turn the graphics take (not quality, just the style. The character concepts are a bit bizarre, the shark is at least). 

I appreciate the time and effort that has gone into a full and rich move set. You've taken time to develop combos and even a play-style. This is definitely Capcom's Street Fighter par quality. Please keep up the good work, maybe even consider opening a Kickstarter. You have a gem on your hands. 

If you need some constructive feedback that you can use to improve the game, I'll give it. Changing directions while in the air should give the player just a bit more control. Giving the player some more control while in the air may help him/her dodge incoming attacks or plan a better move. If I jump twice into the air while standing still, I should be able to move left and right, even after or before I've reached the apex of my jump. It shouldn't be necessary to use an air dash, you should be able to tile to the left or right while in the air. Also, I feel like the recovery time from being knocked to the ground (for the player) is prorogued a bit too much. Aside from that, I didn't see a whole lot wrong.

Spoiler

Edited by Durge, 23 March 2016 - 11:25 AM.

#13 pieterator

pieterator

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:29 AM

Hi Durge, thank you so much for the glowing praise, you have no idea how much it boosts moral.

As for altering your jump arc while in the air, I actually thought about this a lot when I did the character, this is more common in platformers where jump accuracy is more important. Not a lot of characters in brawlers and fighting games have air control, unless the character has a flight mode like Magneto or Storm in the MvC series. The other consideration was that I didn't want the player to be having to holding forward to stay in range, when they would have rather be buffering up, up or down for their next move. Also having fixed jump arcs is more in keeping with how modern fighting games play, which is central to the theme of the game: "Brawler with Fighting Game Mechanics". If you jump vertically, you can still jump forward or backward with your second jump by just holding the corresponding direction when you press jump though.

That being said, there is no reason for us to not have a future character with air control, it would just be a trait specific to that character :)

That error is very unintentional, and I've actually come across it myself :D Usually getting hit fixes the issue, but you know, if you're stuck in the air what are you going to do. I'm actually working hard at fixing the issue(s), but it requires rewriting a major portions of the game. So please bear with me as I fix these annoying little bugs, the next version of the game is going to be soooo much more stable.

Thanks Mocgames998, really appreciate the words of encouragement. I will do my best to make this them most stunning Brawler is can be :D

Also for anyone wondering, Alt+Enter for full screen :)

Edited by pieterator, 19 March 2016 - 08:30 AM.

#14 Durge

Durge

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:11 AM

-reply-

It's good to hear that the glitch wasn't too rare. I wasn't sure if I'd ever be able to reproduce it if asked to xP. And it's alright, don't feel in any rush to make the game perfect, I can attest to a slow process to completion. You've been doing a superb job, and I'm looking forward to the update. 

About the jump arc, you're right about characters having the ability to tilt a bit to the left and right being very integral to platforms. But I feel like one of the controls is a little off. If I'm holding right, and I double jump while still holding right, then I hold left after reaching the apex of the double jump, the character faces left, but still falls in the right direction. Even in modern versions of street fighter, the character isn't controlled purely by momentum when in the air. By tilting their body, they are able to change where they land a bit, instead of landing exactly in the direction that they jumped. This becomes very useful so you don't land into a Shoryuken lol. It might be an error or a quirk on my part, but I think I was able to explain it a bit better this time. I'll leave a picture that shows what I mean. 

Spoiler

Edited by Durge, 23 March 2016 - 11:22 AM.

#15 DbldudeBlarg

DbldudeBlarg

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:56 AM

Seriously, you are making my dream game!

You did a great job with the fighting mechanics, at times I forgot that I was supposed to push 'A' instead of up to jump lol. But the controls made me feel as if I were playing Guilty Gear Judgement and I had a blast finding out which attacks could combo into each other. I hope that later there will be enemies that force me to move up and down, the majority of the time I only had to move left or right and the enemies would come to me.

The only problem I had was after doing the down kick in the air while hitting 2 enemies, the attack inputs wouldn't register. I could still move and so could the shark but it couldn't hit me. I couldn't recreate it though, it played like a charm every other time.

Keep on keep in on, I'm looking forward to the update!

"Never argue with an idiot... they will drag you down to their level and beat you through experience."

#16 Endotoxin

Endotoxin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 12:32 PM

So first off let me say that the art style is beautiful. I saw how the image for the enemy sometimes has shading and I'm not sure if you guys were planning on doing that for every frame on all the characters but not sure if it's just me, but I prefer no shading :). Also, please leave the background greyscale, makes the characters really pop and gives off a really unique feel.The character design is wicked and the moves felt really nice and when ever I got hit, I could feel how it was my fault. 

One suggestion is changing the main menu, it shouldn't take me reading the comments to find out what START is and I feel you should let the player adjust screensize as it was tiny for me.

Any way, keep up the great work, will be watching for updates :D

3gypa.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2d, arcade, desktop, action