Photo

GameMaker studio FREE version for game jam.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fentriz

Fentriz

GMC Member

• 2 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:31 PM

Greetings,

I hope this topic was not yet discussed, if it was - soory for "spam" thread.

Anyways, i have a team of total 4 members and we are thinking of attending a game jam (those who do not know, you make a game in 24-48 hour period).

We were thinking of what engine to pick since we have a bit of experience with many others. One of the top picks was game maker studio, however, we could only use free version and we were thinking.

How restricted are we for game development and collaboration? Is it worth using free or is paid version almost a must? Will there be some big problems when creating a game?

Im not sure if this is important but we are mainly 4 students (studying Software engineering) so we dont posses superb art skills or anything (ALTHO we can draw a bit (simple things ofc)).

#2 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 5277 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:38 PM

Free one should be fine..... it's only really a splash screen that'll get in your way.  Certainly start with it, and then if you find you DO need more, then upgrade.

#3 Fentriz

Fentriz

GMC Member

• 2 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:45 PM

Free one should be fine..... it's only really a splash screen that'll get in your way.  Certainly start with it, and then if you find you DO need more, then upgrade.

So there wont be any problems with collaboration, am i correct?

#4 Nallebeorn

Nallebeorn

Valar Morghulis

• GMC Member
  • 703 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:56 PM

The free version doesn't integrate with source control software like Professional, but you can still use external applications if you want to (Tortoise, SourceTree etc.)

oldGMCsig1.png oldGMCsig2.png oldGMCsig3.png oldGMCsig4.png oldGMCsig5.png